BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Long Restart (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=198129)

dschachm 07-22-2009 06:49 AM

Long Restart

Anyone notice the tour take 5-7 minutes to restart as apposed to the curve that was like 2 minutes?

qwick 07-22-2009 07:22 AM

i went from 8703e to Tour and yes the restart/load session is drastically longer. Tech support asked me 2x "okay what is it doing now" "it is still loading up"

visortgw 07-22-2009 07:48 AM

~10 minutes!

rambo47 07-22-2009 10:41 AM

Longest of any BlackBerry I've owned, but my time is only 3:35 from battery pull to completion of the software check.

rockbottom8 07-22-2009 03:57 PM

9 minutes for me today using quickpull.

ddoyle777 07-22-2009 07:17 PM

Mine times at 8:47 from battery reinsertion. That is just too long.

jsntrenkler 07-22-2009 07:24 PM

I just ran quickpull and my Tour took 3:42 -- Seems the more apps I install, the longer it takes to reboot.

Drgnfyre 07-23-2009 09:05 AM

Mine took about 8 minutes to get to the home screen / verifying security. This was from a quickpull restart, if that matters.

Sytner 07-23-2009 02:17 PM

Wirelessly posted (8820 on WiFi)

I would expect times to improve with later OS updates.

Heavy Fluid 07-23-2009 05:06 PM

6 minutes for me doing an actual pull. It seems like forever.

jnyost 07-23-2009 06:30 PM

Ditto, forever!!

Chrscott22 07-23-2009 10:17 PM

Same. It definitely takes much longer than every other BB i've owned.

ebloomca 08-04-2009 11:29 AM

Research with Tour on Sprint

Ok, I have had my Tour for a few days now. I had a Pearl and after I activate it via Enterprise Activation on my BES account here at Sprint I was getting reboot times of over 10 minutes, one time it took 14 mintues! From my research I've found two things. Have your BES administrator wipe out your BES account and start from scratch. You'll lose some settings, custom dictionary, etc. but it's worth it. This was deffinately part of the issue. Next, disable memory cleaning. Unlike the Pearl, the setting for this is saved after a reboot and it will stay on. I was adding 2 to 4 mintues to my reboot time. Now, mine consistently reboots in about 4:30 minutes, which I can live with. I have a ton of programs installed so I'm guessing if I had a few less it would be lower, but at least it isn't 10+ anymore. Also, the blackberry admin here said the long reboot times is known and it's just how it works. I guess the Storm takes a while to reboot too, same phone basically just with at touchscreen.

tcumbo 08-04-2009 11:45 AM

8:35 for me today. About 3 times longer than Windows Vista on my 2 year old laptop.

What????

ffejie 08-04-2009 12:05 PM

12:45 for me! It was about 6 minutes before the BES applied all the security (Content Protection).

Joe1004 08-04-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebloomca (Post 1444661)
Ok, I have had my Tour for a few days now. I had a Pearl and after I activate it via Enterprise Activation on my BES account here at Sprint I was getting reboot times of over 10 minutes, one time it took 14 mintues! From my research I've found two things. Have your BES administrator wipe out your BES account and start from scratch. You'll lose some settings, custom dictionary, etc. but it's worth it. This was deffinately part of the issue. Next, disable memory cleaning. Unlike the Pearl, the setting for this is saved after a reboot and it will stay on. I was adding 2 to 4 mintues to my reboot time. Now, mine consistently reboots in about 4:30 minutes, which I can live with. I have a ton of programs installed so I'm guessing if I had a few less it would be lower, but at least it isn't 10+ anymore. Also, the blackberry admin here said the long reboot times is known and it's just how it works. I guess the Storm takes a while to reboot too, same phone basically just with at touchscreen.

A quick question on your post - Did you leave your Tour "as is" after activation, then delete and re-create your BES account and re-activate?

I've noticed that with the big changes from Curve to Tour, BES activation has a lot of stuff to do and probably doesn't need to. I am thinking of backing up my essentials only then wiping the device and starting over again. A big issue that I see is application permissions.

Thoughts?

RobNyc 08-05-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dschachm (Post 1434505)
Anyone notice the tour take 5-7 minutes to restart as apposed to the curve that was like 2 minutes?

Wow so true I cant stand this crap

Joe1004 08-05-2009 07:32 PM

Well I decided to try this.

I backup up some saved SMS messages I needed, then I wiped my phone. While I was wiping, I deleted my BES profile, then recreated it and set my activation password. The results:

- Enterprise activation took about 5 minutes. By far a record. Deleting all that old stuff does wonders.

- Boot time dropped from around 8 minutes to about 4.

- The deviced is just plain snappier. A lot snappier.

I noticed when I activated the Tour the first time, the application permissions were up near 1000 records. I believe the BES stores permissions for applications you have removed and then re-applies them. I know this happeded to me with VZ Navigator and the fix was a re-install to reset the permissions.

What I lost because you can't back it up (if you're on a BES) is profiles and bookmarks. That really is about it. Profiles took me 5 minutes to reset. Bookmarks I will just start over. I didn't care because I had a bunch I wasn't using.

So, if you are brave, give it a try!

recondo 08-05-2009 11:23 PM

Averages about 5 minutes for me after a battery pull. For some weird reason, sometimes it takes significantly less time, closer to maybe 2 mins but can't pinpoint it yet.

SpectreBlofeld 08-06-2009 05:39 PM

Nine minutes for me today. It's especially annoying because I'm still in the process of adding and removing applications to try stuff out... and virtually every time I delete an app the Blackberry wants me to restart. If I had 6 applications to delete and I restarted every time, it would take me an hour! Fortunately you can decline to restart until you've deleted them all, but still... yeesh. Worse is when you're prompted to restart after you install a new app.

There's one other minor annoyance I have with the phone... the fact that the trackball isn't recessed at all. While typing, I keep accidentally hitting the trackball lightly with my thumb, causing the cursor to move left or right while typing. I have to conciously think to keep my thumb from sweeping across it by lifting my thumbs higher up off the keypad between key presses than I used to on my Curve.