BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Newbie... :-P (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=128603)

Shorteh 05-06-2008 11:00 PM

Newbie... :-P

Just got my first ever BB 8100 yesterday (YAY!!!)... Well I installed the desktop manager and it's seems to be ok. But when I connect my phone USB, and try to find it through the desktop manager, it says "device not found." ??? I'm trying to add some apps and games via desktop, but can't get it to find my phone.....Any help please... This is driving me CRAZY!!! Other than that, I love then phone! Thanks guys!

JSanders 05-06-2008 11:22 PM

Shorteh, welcome to the BBForums.

Remove the BB from the USB. Pull the battery on the BB, hold about 30 seconds and replace to reboot.

On the PC, close DM, and reopen. Reconnect the BB direct to the PC via USB--not a USB hub, but direct to the PC.

Any luck?

Shorteh 05-06-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 920320)
Shorteh, welcome to the BBForums.

Remove the BB from the USB. Pull the battery on the BB, hold about 30 seconds and replace to reboot.

On the PC, close DM, and reopen. Reconnect the BB direct to the PC via USB--not a USB hub, but direct to the PC.

Any luck?

No luck.. When I go to conection settings in DM and hit Detect, it doesn't find it, also in the transf it doesn't give me an option to detect or anything in the drop box... :-( I don't know if it matters, but I'm on a MBP and am running parallels windows....

BlackBearME 05-07-2008 01:59 AM

Is the USB port you're using known to be good? (Or bad?)
I ask because I was having this same problem, then I remembered the USB port I was using was a little finicky. Switched ports and it was fine.

eomund 05-07-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorteh (Post 920327)
No luck.. When I go to conection settings in DM and hit Detect, it doesn't find it, also in the transf it doesn't give me an option to detect or anything in the drop box... :-( I don't know if it matters, but I'm on a MBP and am running parallels windows....

What version of Windows are you running? If the software was installed correctly, you shouldn't have to click detect, it'll do it automatically.

If the USB slot is known to work good, you might want to try re-installing the program. From there you can also use the update feature supplied to updtate the DM. I ran into a similar problem with an old palm pilot of mine. Installing the latest software did wonders.

Also make sure all the drivers are loaded properly. The machine can't recognise the device at all if the drivers aren't there.

Let us know how it turns out.

Sith_Apprentice 05-07-2008 11:35 AM

have you tried rebooting the PC by chance

ChainsawDude 05-07-2008 11:52 AM

Wirelessly posted

Can you try a proper PC? i.e. not an emulator. Or even windows via bootcamp if your using a mac.

Shorteh 05-07-2008 03:43 PM

I've tried rebooting, reinstalling DM.. The USB port is fine, never had a prob with it. Although since I'm running parallel, I've tried to update windows to the newest version, but no luck. I used a program called Iserial to DL parallel and it won't let me upgrade, I believe I'm running 98, not too sure though.

eomund 05-07-2008 04:44 PM

Windows 98? If that's the case that might be your problem right there.

Shorteh 05-07-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eomund (Post 921333)
Windows 98? If that's the case that might be your problem right there.

LOL I kind of figured!!! I'm just gonna have my boyfriend bring his PC over tonight. Thanks guys!!! :-)

Vamp 05-08-2008 04:27 PM

Have you tryed 2 update your os?

eomund 05-08-2008 04:51 PM

^ As far as I know, she can't update her OS unless she can get the PC to recognize the device.

I still couldn't be certain if 98 is the problem or not, but it's 10 years old. It's very possible that the drivers required for the machine to recognize the BB may not be compatable with 98. And being as the blackberry in question has only been on the market for about 2 years, chances on getting a driver are slim to none.