BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   how can you tell a fake? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=173841)

coolbir 02-02-2009 03:07 PM

how can you tell a fake?

How can I tell if a Blackberry bold is fake or offical from RIM?

JSanders 02-02-2009 03:09 PM

Does it have a PIN/IMEI?

Superh3ro 02-03-2009 12:25 AM

did they make fake blackberry?

Iabode 02-03-2009 12:27 AM

go to options then about if it doesnt have official RIM OEM software then its a fake

TroyDBrown 02-03-2009 01:15 AM

I have yet to see a fake BlackBerry. There is the BlueBerry.

rambo47 02-03-2009 10:03 AM

All the fakes I've seen looked like total crap. Amateur hour.

shiftyBB 03-01-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1269602)
All the fakes I've seen looked like total crap. Amateur hour.

well i've been a BB user for a few years...and every having dropped my 8700 too many times to mention...decided that the bold was the new model i wanted...not wanting to pay rogers $700 for a no contract bold...i checked out ebay...and of course craigslist....the prices on craigslist were incredible! anywhere from $300 - 700...made me go hmmmmm....so to make a long story short...picked up a bold for $400...it seemed brand spanking new with a box and everything...

the 'gentlemen' claimed it was a t-mobile branded BB from the US...i asked why it had a rogers faceplate...he answered that since he paid with a credit card...they had to replace the faceplate with rogers..?!?!?! but the thing is when u turn the phone on/off it actually says t-mobile...

well the camera worked fine and the speaker phone etc...i called rogers and had them switch the PIN to my account and presto started receing my email right away..paid the 'gentleman' his $$$ and walked away.....

a few days later (as i'd been too busy at work/home to look closer) i noticed that the pin and imei #'s didnt match the box he had given me...and then i noticed that the keyboard was NOT QWERTY...but in fact QWERTZ!!! all the keys work fine but the y and z are perfectly transposed and works as Y when Y is pressed and the Z is a Z...but why would they be switched unless this is a perfect clone or some kinda test model...

Any thoughts???:?

Raptor464 03-01-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftyBB (Post 1304510)
well i've been a BB user for a few years...and every having dropped my 8700 too many times to mention...decided that the bold was the new model i wanted...not wanting to pay rogers $700 for a no contract bold...i checked out ebay...and of course craigslist....the prices on craigslist were incredible! anywhere from $300 - 700...made me go hmmmmm....so to make a long story short...picked up a bold for $400...it seemed brand spanking new with a box and everything...

the 'gentlemen' claimed it was a t-mobile branded BB from the US...i asked why it had a rogers faceplate...he answered that since he paid with a credit card...they had to replace the faceplate with rogers..?!?!?! but the thing is when u turn the phone on/off it actually says t-mobile...

well the camera worked fine and the speaker phone etc...i called rogers and had them switch the PIN to my account and presto started receing my email right away..paid the 'gentleman' his $$$ and walked away.....

a few days later (as i'd been too busy at work/home to look closer) i noticed that the pin and imei #'s didnt match the box he had given me...and then i noticed that the keyboard was NOT QWERTY...but in fact QWERTZ!!! all the keys work fine but the y and z are perfectly transposed and works as Y when Y is pressed and the Z is a Z...but why would they be switched unless this is a perfect clone or some kinda test model...

Any thoughts???:?

QWERTZ bold...from Germany...that's your answer.

shiftyBB 03-01-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor464 (Post 1304514)
QWERTZ bold...from Germany...that's your answer.

ahhh that explains the funny currency symbol....any chance of changing it back?

clevebb 03-01-2009 11:15 PM

cnn.cn will probably have a qwerty keyboard

JSanders 03-01-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevebb (Post 1304641)

They certainly will have QWERTY keyboards, but changing the keyboard will NOT change the internal QWERTZ hard-coded keyboard functions. You can't change that. The Storm is the first device with the user programmable QWERTY to QWERTZ, etc.

CoDudette 03-02-2009 08:24 AM

i know the QWERTZ keyboard is on all German speaking country phones. that's not such a big deal.. i've got a bold from Swisscom (Zurich) and the Y & Z keys are switched. took a while to get used to, but oh well..

the rest.. sounds a bit dodgy!!!

shiftyBB 03-02-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevebb (Post 1304641)

thanks...but like the last reply said...if i cant change the 'software' what would be the point...speaking of software..to actually change the corresponding letter when pushed to be a different letter...does anyone know if i could download a sftware patch of some sort or is this a hardware issue..sorry for hijacking the thread - maybe i should start a new one:oops:

mckinneycm 03-02-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftyBB (Post 1305059)
thanks...but like the last reply said...if i cant change the 'software' what would be the point...speaking of software..to actually change the corresponding letter when pushed to be a different letter...does anyone know if i could download a sftware patch of some sort or is this a hardware issue..sorry for hijacking the thread - maybe i should start a new one:oops:

I would just try to sell/trade it and get a QWERTY Bold.

JSanders 03-02-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftyBB (Post 1305059)

No, you can't change the software or patch it, and you don't need to start another thread. This one is so nice as it is.