BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Multiple Exchange Environments - Same BES Router in DMZ? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=266279)

Scientia 09-11-2014 03:09 AM

Multiple Exchange Environments - Same BES Router in DMZ?

Hi folks,

My question is this - Can the same Blackberry Router server in a DMZ be used with multiple separate/distinct BES environments?

Any help is appreciated. Some context is provided below...

I have managed to find documentation which says that one Blackberry Router router can be used with multiple BES servers, but it does not qualify if the BES servers can be connected to completely separate Exchange environments.

We will ultimately be merging two Exchange environments together (both have their own separate Active Directory Forest/domain), but for now they both need to be co-located into the same Datacenter (and they will be kept as separate domains/environments for now).

The existing Datacenter has a Blackberry Router in the DMZ (Version 5.04 as far as I am aware), and has it's own BES environment on the LAN (which talks to the local Exchange 2010 environment). All is working smoothly.

The business that is moving sites has it's own separate domain, it's own Exchange 2003 environment and two BES environments (BES 5.0.4 & Blackberry 10.1.1). Their BES servers both access the internet directly from the internal LAN (through a firewall), but in the new Datacenter they will need to use a Blackberry Router in the DMZ (local security policy).

I would like to avoid deploying multiple Blackberry Routers into the DMZ if possible, but I still need a solution that is offically supported.

Thanks,

S

knottyrope 09-11-2014 08:51 AM

Re: Multiple Exchange Environments - Same BES Router in DMZ?

I am going to say no it wont work as you need to log in with the service account to set it up

KB25003-How to install remote BlackBerry Router Service in a DMZ for a BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 environment

Scientia 09-11-2014 09:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback - I'm confused by the answer though.

The existing Blackberry router is configured as a standalone (non domain joined) server, the the "Service Account" is just a server-local user account.

"h t t p://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/1856/Placing_the_BlackBerry_Router_in_the_DMZ.pdf"

The above document states that "Multiple BlackBerry Enterprise Servers can share a single, remote BlackBerry Router. Because the BlackBerry Router does not connect to any services, it can be run under any account."

The Router is already configured and running with one BES environment (back on the LAN), so we have the BES Router Service OS account password and can reconfigure the Router software at any time (not that there is that much to configure). I freely admit that I maybe missing something else though that is Blackberry specific.

Not trying to knock your answer, just trying to understand it.

S

knottyrope 09-11-2014 11:10 AM

I have never tried it but if you do let us know if it works