BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   BB stops receiving any email (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=73220)

cellguy 04-16-2007 06:52 PM

BB stops receiving any email

This happens to me every few days. I'll notice I hadn't received an email in an hour or so (which is very unusual) so I pull the battery and when it reboots I get my email since it stopped. I'm on Cingular BIS. Never happend with my Pearl. Anyone else getting this?

cenner 04-16-2007 07:37 PM

This exact thing happened today on my Pearl. Never happened before. When I pulled battery to reset, I then received 22 emails from throughout the day.

toronto8800 04-16-2007 09:41 PM

Same happened to me...

Same thing happened to me today as I stopped getting any emails at all, although I've been missing a few here and there for the past few weeks (since I switched to Cingular from Verizon). I was very disturbed about not being able to resolve the issue myself as I am a very experienced BB user and have never had this issue. I spoke to RIM for a while about this and solved the issue, although, that said, I find it hard to understand how I was getting my email before today with the wrong settings...

Check out number 4 - VERY INTERESTING! All of my BIS accounts showed as IMAP in my advanced settings on BIS. This is what the auto email setup chose, even though they all should have been POP3. If yours show IMAP and they should be POP3, follow the instructions for number 4, thats how I fixed mine.

You cannot receive email messages on your BlackBerry device from a POP3 email account that is integrated with your BlackBerry Internet Service account.

Note: If you have a Novell® GroupWise® POP3 account, see KB03218.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause
Summary of Causes
This problem may occur for one of the following reasons:

1. Another email client is removing email messages from the POP3 messaging server.
2. The email account has been integrated as Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) instead of POP.
3. There are too many email messages in the POP3 mailbox.
4. Your POP3 email account was integrated using the wrong information.
5. Your Internet service provider (ISP) limits your mailbox to a single connection.
6. The password to your POP3 email account has been changed.
7. Your BlackBerry Internet Service mailbox is full. (This applies to BlackBerry 8. Internet Service Software 1.8 only.)
9. Changes have been made to your POP3 messaging server.
10. An email message filter in the BlackBerry Internet Service is blocking email message delivery to the BlackBerry device.
11. The email messages for the integrated email account are being stored in a place other than the root folder of the Inbox on the messaging server.
12. There are large email messages in the Inbox folder of the integrated email account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution
Complete the appropriate resolution below.

Cause 1

In addition to being integrated with your BlackBerry Internet Service account, your POP3 account is integrated with another email client (for example, Microsoft® Outlook®, or Microsoft Entourage®). When the other email client retrieves your POP3 account email messages, it removes the email messages on the POP3 messaging server. As a result, there are no email messages for your BlackBerry Internet Service account to retrieve.

Resolution 1

Configure the other email client to leave a copy of the email messages on the POP3 messaging server. See KB12283.

Cause 2
The BlackBerry Internet Service has identified the messaging and collaboration server as Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP). It has also been integrated using IMAP instead of POP3.

Note: This issue only affects BlackBerry device users using BlackBerry Internet Service 1.8.

Resolution 1
Go to the Advanced tab and verify that your POP account is set to use the default POP port.
Remove the integrated IMAP email account. For instructions, see KB04258.
Set up the email address in the BlackBerry Internet Service again, but type the incorrect password initially.
A message appears indicating that the account could not be integrated. Select the option to provide the settings.
Type the correct name of the messaging server, user name, password, and email address.
Ensure that POP is selected rather than IMAP. Click Try Again.

Cause 3

There are too many email messages in the POP3 mailbox.

Note: To determine whether this is the cause of the issue, reduce the number of email messages in the mailbox to less than 900.

Resolution 1

Configure the POP3 email account to remove email messages from the messaging server after a certain number of days (for example, 30 days).

Cause 4
Your POP3 email account was integrated using the wrong information.

Resolution 1

Complete the following steps:

Remove the integrated POP3 email account. For instructions, see KB04258.
Reintegrate the POP3 email account. For instructions, see KB02189.
Resolution 2

Reintegrate the email account using Microsoft Outlook Web Access instead of POP3.
Remove the integrated POP3 account. For instructions, see KB04258.
Click Set up Account.
Type the email address and no password to force the advanced integration screen.
Select I can access my e-mail account using a Web browser (Outlook Web Access) and click Next.
Type the remaining information, including the password.
Click on Try Again.

Cause 5

Your ISP limits your mailbox to a single connection.

Resolution

To troubleshoot this problem, contact your Internet service provider.

Cause 6

The password to your POP3 email account has changed.

Resolution

Update the POP3 email account password in your BlackBerry Internet Service account. Complete the steps that are appropriate for your version of the BlackBerry Internet Service:

For BlackBerry Internet Service 2.x

Go to your service provider's BlackBerry Internet Service web site and log in to your account.
Click the Edit icon beside the account you want to modify.
Update the account password.
Click Save.
For BlackBerry Internet Service 1.8

Go to your service provider's BlackBerry Internet Service web site and log in to your account.
In the top menu, click Profiles.
Under Email Account, click the Other Email Accounts hyperlink.
Click the integrated account. The Email Accounts page appears.
Type the new password in the Password and Re-enter Password fields.
Click Submit.

Cause 7

Your BlackBerry Internet Service mailbox is full.

Note: This issue only affects BlackBerry device users using BlackBerry Internet Service 1.8.

Resolution

Complete one of the following tasks:

Make space in your mailbox by deleting unwanted email messages and emptying your Deleted Items folder. For instructions, see KB02702.
Contact your service provider to request that the storage capacity of your BlackBerry Internet Service mailbox be increased.

Cause 8

Changes have been made to your POP3 messaging server. For example, a change in the messaging server name from mail.company.com to pop.company.com would prevent email message delivery.

Resolution

Contact your POP3 email account provider to make sure that no changes have been made to the POP3 messaging server.

Cause 9

An email message filter in the BlackBerry Internet Service is blocking email message delivery to the BlackBerry device.

Resolution

Review the email message filters to make sure that they are not preventing email messages from being sent to the BlackBerry device. Delete or modify any email message filters that do not enable delivery of all email messages to the BlackBerry device. For instructions, see the BlackBerry Internet Service User Guide.

Cause 10

The email messages for the integrated email account are being stored in a place other than the root folder of the Inbox on the messaging server.

Resolution

Change rules in the email client to leave a copy of email messages in the Inbox that you want to have delivered to the BlackBerry device.

Cause 11

There are large email messages in the Inbox folder of the integrated email account.

Resolution

Move any email messages larger than 8MB, including attachments, from the Inbox folder to a subfolder of the email account. (Also see Additional Information below)
For BlackBerry Internet Service 2.x or later (IMAP accounts only):

Ensure the Sent Items folder does not contain email messages larger than 8MB, including attachments.

Worm 04-17-2007 03:22 AM

Hi Toronto,

Your issue is actually no. 2 m8, they may revert to IMAP to be honest. Issue occurs because the server has responded to an IMAP approach though your account on it is POP3.

If not receiving mail to the device (though RIM has polled your e-mail accounts without an issue) then this suggests either a RIM -> network issue or a GPRS issue. If device off/on works then suggests an issue with GPRS session/mobility management (GSM network).

cheers

toronto8800 04-17-2007 09:48 AM

Yes, thank you for the correction...late night, and I mis-typed.