BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bes On A Standalone Server (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=200543)

gloowee 08-11-2009 09:24 AM

Bes On A Standalone Server

Hi friends. Newbie to BES here.

I've setup BES 5.0 for Exchange 2007. I have experienced some issues that I'll work out with the help & suggestions in the other threads.

My question today is has anyone tried setting BES 5.0 up on a standalone server? Meaning, does the machine have to be a member of the domain? If so, what did you discover? Does it work?

The reason I ask this is because the BESAdmin account is running as a service and is also a domain admin. Since all domain computers trust the BES server because it's part of the domain, if someone got control of the BESAdmin account then that'd be game over.

skyman84 08-11-2009 09:31 AM

Then why make the besadmin account a domain admin account?

penguin3107 08-11-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloowee (Post 1449208)
the BESAdmin account is running as a service and is also a domain admin.

Why would you do this?

gloowee 08-11-2009 09:46 AM

I'm pretty sure the setup tutorial said to put the besadmin account in the group "administrators" at the domain level.

skyman84 08-11-2009 09:48 AM

No no, the BESAdmin account needs to be a local admin on the BES server it's self only, not the domain.

It does need access to the mailfiles of the mail system your using, but as far as AD admin rights go, only local admin access to the server is sits on, and the ability to run as a service.

penguin3107 08-11-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloowee (Post 1449235)
I'm pretty sure the setup tutorial said to put the besadmin account in the group "administrators" at the domain level.

No, it doesn't. The BES Service Account shouldn't be a Domain Admin.
It should be a local admin on the BES.

CanuckBB 08-11-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloowee (Post 1449208)
The reason I ask this is because the BESAdmin account is running as a service and is also a domain admin. Since all domain computers trust the BES server because it's part of the domain, if someone got control of the BESAdmin account then that'd be game over.

As other have said BESAdmin needs to be local admin.

And how is BESAdmin any different than 'Administrator'? The chances of somebody getting access to BESAdmin are no greater than Administrator.

usererror 08-11-2009 10:26 AM

I thought the besadmin account also had to be a member of the domain in order for it to do the "Send As" abilities on each user's account.

skyman84 08-11-2009 10:29 AM

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000)

The besadmin account must be a domain account, and have the sendas permissions, but it does not need to be added to the domain admin group. Just make sure its added locally to the admin group on the server.

gloowee 08-11-2009 10:31 AM

Check out module #2.

blackberry. com/ select/ toolkit/ 02.shtml#

Should the besadmin account also be a local admin on the Exchange server in order to get access to other peoples mailbox?

penguin3107 08-11-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloowee (Post 1449279)
Check out module #2.

blackberry. com/ select/ toolkit/ 02.shtml#

Should the besadmin account also be a local admin on the Exchange server in order to get access to other peoples mailbox?

You seem to be really confused about permissions assigned to the BES service account.
This should clear things up for you:
KB02276 - Assigning permissions for a BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection

Follow that KB article and you should be fine.

MarshBklyn 08-11-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloowee (Post 1449279)

No. Only Exchange View Administrator within exchange. Also, send, receive, and administer store permissions as well.

gloowee 08-11-2009 11:32 AM

Thank you. I followed your instructions to the letter and all was good. Still having issues that I'll search the forums for help on.