BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Will you move away from BlackBerry? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=238814)

dougniss 12-16-2010 03:11 PM

Re: Will you move away from BlackBerry?

I'm on the Storm 2 at the moment and it does what I need in a way I like. I had gone to the Nokia Music Xpress for brief while but I didn't like how it dealt with mail. Nokia does have a killer Sat Nav though.

CarBob 12-16-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1668736)
I have moved away from BlackBerry multiple times and always came back.

Went to Nokia phones for multimedia capabilities back in the days of the BB 7230. Tried a bunch of different Nokias and did the same thing each time. I tried to make them more "BlackBerry-like". The only rational thing to do was go back to BlackBerry.

When the Palm Pre first came out I left AT&T and my BB Bold 9000 (which I won in a contest right here at BlackBerry Forums!) and went to Sprint. I used Treo smartphones way back before discovering BlackBerrys, and while Palm's execution slacked off terribly, their concept of a conversion device for phone + organizer was revolutionary. Especially because it was geared to the consumer, not the business user as BlackBerrys had been. They had games, other fun apps, and even did email. At the time it was really quite something, marrying the excellent Palm Pilot organizer to a cell phone. But by the time the Treo 650 was the hot model the platform had major stability issues. That's what led me to the BlackBerry 7230 and the 7105t (an all-time favorite of mine). So I had this soft spot in my heart (and probably my head!) for Palm and I bought into the hype of WebOS and the Palm Pre. I lasted just long enough to get my mail-in rebate for the Pre and promptly put it on my shelf. I ran (not walked - ran) to the nearest Sprint store and bought another BlackBerry. My relief was palpable.

More recently I bought the Samsung Epic 4G for Sprint. Very interesting device, does tons of stuff, and has a gorgeous screen that looks like a mini plasma tv. Android is fun. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some cool new app for Android. I loved the skymap and droidsat (for pinpointing the positions of all known satellites). But the Epic was too big go be used/carried comfortably, has releavitely short battery life, and just didn't do email like a BlackBerry. I gave it a good 4 weeks or so before putting it on the shelf next to my Palm Pre and re-activating my BB 9650.

I have no brand loyalty to RIM and BlackBerrys. I continually try the latest thing, and I will probably continue to do so. But BlackBerrys just get it done for me. And while no platform is perfect, nothing else is as good for my needs. Not even close.

Hi rambo47,

Even though I am a BlackBerry fanatic, am always interested to hear about the experiences others have had. BlackBerrys are renowned for e-mail, and since I have several e-mail addresses, it's hard for me to imagine that other phones could handle them any better. You have confirmed my thinking. (y)

- CB

judeeg2003 12-16-2010 03:40 PM

I also have the Google Nexus One which I love buttttttt...... I can't get away from the Blackberry. I love my blackberry and will always have one..

xs11e 12-17-2010 07:54 PM

I've been playing with Android and WinMobile but always gone back to my 9700 until the OS6 leaks, OS6 convinced me to get a MyTouch 4G and bid BB ByeBye.

redwizard6 12-17-2010 07:55 PM

I'm happy with my 9650...especially since I stuffed it with OS 6. It's perfect for me. and my 2 daughters aged 18 and 16 ,love theirs. One is away at college and it helps us all stay connected, and my 16 year old, well, if she didnt have her blackberry I wouldn't be nearly as in touch with her a s I am. I'm a scatter brain so my Blackberry helps keep me organized and and at least have a clue what I'm supposed to doing. Thanks BB

Kamau 12-17-2010 09:07 PM

I just bought a Droid X yesterday, and I gotta admit, its a pretty cool device. I've always been a "bells & whistles" type person, and this phone definitely has an abundance of both. I'm also loving the screen size as my eyes continue to fall behind year after year.
But a couple drawbacks are the battery life (sucks) and the typing on a touch screen (sucks worse), but I'm guessing in time I will adapt.
But my heart will stay with my trusty 8900, as I am keeping it for work-related issues and when I need that security blanket called Blackberry. As I've said before, touch screens are toys. I just forgot how much I use to love playing with them.

ericas8120 12-18-2010 12:33 AM

None of the choices apply to me. I have done like others here. I have had a BlackBerry since the 950 came out (had the 7730, 7100t, 7105t, 8100 and 8120 after). I have tried the Danger/Sidekick OS and Windows Mobile each time I left BB. Each time I come back due to the battery life and simplicity of the OS although the Sidekick is my 2nd favorite. In fact I just re-extended my contract last Friday to get the Bold 9780 after a disastrous week with an 8120.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

galonso 12-18-2010 10:38 AM

I have been forced into Blackberry for years but I can really get work done. I tether it with my laptop via bluetooth... which is AWESOME and on ATT can do phone calls at the same time. Typing of course is the best. I would hate to have to work on the iphone, my wife has one. That said I really wish the apps were better, even the best apps suck compared to BB. I chose the 9700 over the torch because I heard the torch was underpowered... sometimes I wish I had the larger screen. I can't wait for OS 6 for my 9700.

tydro456 12-18-2010 01:42 PM

I have until March really to see what will be available on verizon!

rfvasquez 12-18-2010 02:48 PM

If iPhone eventually does go to Verizon, I will move to it. Company uses BES, but iPhone can work with that via GOOD.com. Many have already done it.

rfvasquez 12-18-2010 02:50 PM

As a comment to my previous note about switching to iPhone - the only reason I would stay is if the new TORCH is as good as it looks and has enough apps

rambo47 12-19-2010 11:22 AM

It seems I'm just out of phase with BlackBerry. Each time I buy a new non-BlackBerry device because of some spiffing new feature, RIM answers by adding something like it. I wanted a larger screen device, and BB releases the Torch. Since I'm on Sprint I can't use it. Yet. I fully expect a CDMA version, especially considering what a hit the Torch has been for RIM. So now I'm staring at my gorgeous Evo and at the same time bemoaning my loss of push email.

I'm a serial switcher. I've admitted that before, publicly and to myself. I'm also a consumer whore and exactly what these tech companies want. I may not live on the bleeding edge of tech, but I'm pretty close. Rather than get the latest shiny new gadget every time one is released, I find myself waiting for a couple of reviews before leaping into the water. I'd like to say I'm being smart by waiting and reading reviews, but really I'm just using them to convince myself that the decision I already made to buy is the right one. So here I sit, wishing my Evo was a BlackBerry and wishing my BlackBerry Bold had a more Evo-like screen. And dreaming of a Sprint BB Torch.

Snaker190 12-19-2010 08:21 PM

blackberry for ever ..and iphone too :oops:

Hollywheezy 12-20-2010 05:43 AM

I never thought of getting any other phone because blackberry is the best i ever had. I LOVE BLACKBERRY

cjmac49 12-21-2010 07:14 PM

I was forced to a Windows Mobile phone - HTC Touch Pro 2 - by my employer. I now am retiring and have returned to the BB fold with a 9330 Curve. What a relief. Great battery life, never needs a reboot, always works, no pocket calls and no junk.

ericas8120 12-22-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjmac49 (Post 1686991)
I was forced to a Windows Mobile phone - HTC Touch Pro 2 - by my employer. I now am retiring and have returned to the BB fold with a 9330 Curve. What a relief. Great battery life, never needs a reboot, always works, no pocket calls and no junk.

I feel your pain. While I was not forced into the purchase of my Touch Pro 2, I bought one because I thought having a slide out keyboard could beat the slew of SureType 71xx and 81xx BB's I went through. After 9 months of swapping between 4 devices, I went to my drawer nearly 2 weeks ago and found my 8120, only to have to call T-Mobile the next day and almost cancel my contract to get the 9780 I got last week and love.

Jagga 12-22-2010 12:48 AM

Anyone else notice that the stats are a bit off??

spluto 12-22-2010 12:41 PM

I am extremely happy with my tour. It does all the things that I want it to. The browser is my only complaint. It is a bit too simple and some times the pages don't load properly. RIM is a state of the art company and I know they are always improving.

Losedge 12-30-2010 12:33 PM

moved from g1, best decision ever

AlanJolin 12-31-2010 12:03 PM

I have been using Blackberry in my Cab company since 1990'S. I have no intention of changing. I have had Drivers/management tread on them run em' over one even went in a toilet ( that lost its screen) very robust a good product
Quote:

Originally Posted by Losedge (Post 1689450)
moved from g1, best decision ever