BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Copy CAL's to a new server? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=232445)

CaptMorgan 08-04-2010 10:54 AM

Copy CAL's to a new server?

Hi,

I have a need to copy over 800 CAL's to a new 5.0.2 BES from a 4.1.6 BES. Support is telling me the only supported method is the interface or Enterprise Transporter tool. I'm using the transporter but only copy users to a new SRP ID.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party utilities or SQL tricks?

PLEASE SAVE ME FROM CARPAL TUNNEL!

Thanks,
Matt

knottyrope 08-04-2010 12:29 PM

From command-line, you can do the following:

bcp "select LicenseKey from BESMgmt.dbo.LicenseKeys where type = 0" queryout c:\licensekeys.txt -c -T -R -E -Sdbservername

That will export all installed license keys to the text file specified in the command. Just be sure to change dbservername to your SQL/MSDE server. This needs to be run from a server/machine that has bcp.exe installed, though (installed by default with SQL and MSDE installations).

I gues you can import them in a similar concept. I never tried it.

icontech 08-04-2010 01:17 PM

I copied and pasted them from the old database table to the new database table using SQL Server Management Studio.

knottyrope 08-04-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icontech (Post 1636424)
I copied and pasted them from the old database table to the new database table using SQL Server Management Studio.

Thats a nice trick to know. :smile:

CaptMorgan 08-05-2010 12:17 PM

We ended up doing something like that with SQL. Just an insert instead. The problem i had after that was that a trial CAL was still in there. Once i removed that it seemed to work okay.

jjbova 08-06-2010 08:34 AM

That's exactly what we did to. I was worried about that for a few days, I even called RIM and asked if we could turn in all our CALS (we had about 500 seperate ones), and get a few 200-300 user CALS. After being transfered 4 times, I got a "NO". So we just started searching the old DB, found them, found where they went on the new DB, and literally did a copy paste..... went flawlessly.

CaptMorgan 08-06-2010 09:16 AM

Yes same thing. Our mistake was that we let whoever purchases the user's BB to purchase the CAL. So we have about 800 CAL's all purchased from every single vendor possible... No hope in turning those in. We purchase them from now on though :)

BB1877 08-08-2010 07:19 PM

So let me ask this...can you have the same CAL key on two servers at the same time?

I've been slowing moving 180 users from a 2.2 and 4.1 BES to a 5.0.1 BES...and just removing then readding a CAL key manually as needed (like a 10 pack).

Recently, I added the CAL key on the new box before removing it from the old one, and it took it. I then removed it from the old box. It seemed to validate the key, but not the fact that it was already in-use.

CaptMorgan 08-09-2010 08:26 AM

I was told by support that the only time the CALs come into use is when you try to add more user's than CAL's. Any new users wont be able to activate or redirection cant be enabled (something like that).

So i don't think the BES communicates to RIM as to what CAL's you have installed.