BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

jsconyers 02-11-2013 02:09 PM

Re: President Obama and Evolution

Scientists Finally Confirm the Asteroid that Killed the Dinosaurs - Neatorama

djm2 02-12-2013 05:49 PM

Here is a twist on the evolutionary discussion:

The state of our union is

kathrynhr 02-13-2013 09:29 AM

I'm amused by that link, but I disagree with the underlying premise.

The English language has reason and rules and rhythm, and when it is used fully and intentionally its beauty can bring me to tears. Yes, proper English is at risk as fewer people each year are learning to use it well. And, perhaps devilishly, I'm now firmly in favor of striking the word "like" from our lexicon completely... there are workarounds. :-)

However, language is a medium, not an end in itself. It is a tool for the exchange of ideas. If modern presidents want their ideas to be understood (and therefore accepted) by the general public - something that wasn't necessary before the advent of television - tailoring their message to the public's level of education is necessary.

Suggesting that governing language should be aimed at the well-educated is deliberately exclusionary. Most people aren't. Using language as a weapon against those whom it was designed to serve is undemocratic. Furthermore, deliberately ridiculing those whose only crime is their embrace of the speech patterns of their own time is at best elitist and pretentious. At worst, it is a sign that higher education has failed. The transformation of an open, seeking mind into a closed and bigoted one is a tragedy. And bigotry is a far worse malady than ignorance. The latter can be cured by education and opportunity; the former is a disease of the spirit.

To the extent that any speaker is understood by his listener, he has used language well irrespective of his word choice. There are people who are unwilling to accept that truth. In a fast-paced society where information is the primary currency, they risk being left behind.

kathrynhr 02-14-2013 09:51 AM

Edit to the above: I appear to be in the minority.

23% Of America Is Illiterate | Zero Hedge

mriff 02-14-2013 04:26 PM

Wow. And she's a biology teacher.

Barbara Cargill on Evolution - YouTube

mriff 02-14-2013 04:30 PM

And another one. Worse yet, he's a Senator.

Creationist Senator wants to know how to turn E. Coli into Humans - YouTube

mriff 02-14-2013 08:03 PM

Ok, one more from the great state of TX. Two people who combined, know nothing about science, and are arguing over what the children of TX are taught in science class. It's mind boggling. At least to me.

Stealth Creationist Meets Open Creationist: Texas SBOE Chair Barbara Cargill and State Sen. Donna Campbell | TFN Insider

TBOLTRAM 02-15-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1799284)
Ok, one more from the great state of TX. Two people who combined, know nothing about science, and are arguing over what the children of TX are taught in science class. It's mind boggling. At least to me.

Stealth Creationist Meets Open Creationist: Texas SBOE Chair Barbara Cargill and State Sen. Donna Campbell | TFN Insider

We have our share of loonies in Texas and for some reason they all seem to gravitate toward politics. A rather disturbing thought.

kathrynhr 02-19-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1799300)
We have our share of loonies in Texas and for some reason they all seem to gravitate toward politics. A rather disturbing thought.

I feel the same way about Ohio. :oops:

mriff 05-07-2013 07:22 PM

Interesting...

snopes.com: 4th Grade Science Quiz

mriff 08-28-2013 06:52 PM

"Just a Theory": 7 Misused Science Words: Scientific American

kathrynhr 08-30-2013 08:27 AM

Ha! We've argued about this before, mriff, in this very thread! With regard to terminology:

Quote:

"The fact that many people understand its scientific meaning incorrectly does not mean we should stop using it. It means we need better scientific education."
I completely disagree. We certainly need better scientific education. On the whole, when it comes to all of the STEM fields, we are a nation of nitwits. However, as regards this article, the words in question all have multiple meanings and in every case the "correct" scientific meaning is the lesser used. The solution to such jargon management problems isn't better education about narrow use, it's a change of terminology.

For better or worse, the onus of clarity is always on the communicating party.

mriff 08-30-2013 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dang it. You're right. It's tough and I see where you are coming from. I don't know what the solution is. Maybe it's just making sure to respond every single time someone says "it's just a theory" with "yes, but it's a Scientific Theory and here's what that means". Or, we could just show the attached picture each and every time and be done with it. :razz:

kathrynhr 09-24-2013 01:38 PM

mriff, this is for you:

Stuart Firestein: The pursuit of ignorance | Video on TED.com

I loved it!

mriff 10-02-2013 09:47 AM

Atheistic Elementary School Instruction Challenged - Pacific Justice Institute - Defending Faith, Family, and Other Civil Liberties

Then the alternative is to teach nothing. Students would be sitting in class for an hour looking around wondering why the teach was sitting in silence I guess. Bro, do you even Science?

mriff 10-02-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1808144)

Kathryn, I have this bookmarked and will definitely check it out. :smile: (The wifi on the plane is too slow at the moment!)

mriff 10-10-2013 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:smile:

jsconyers 10-21-2013 11:24 AM

http://io9.com/this-skull-may-have-j...-ev-1447413218

kathrynhr 10-22-2013 08:25 AM

Evolution of the self:

The Social Life of Genes: Shaping Your Molecular Composition

mriff 11-25-2013 06:11 PM