BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   School me on IT Policy (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=206468)

mavsx 10-07-2009 08:54 AM

School me on IT Policy

Hey guys,

So we have been running a BES with GroupWise with less than 40 users. We have had AT&T as our carrier. Mostly, 7290s, etc. NO IT policy!

The powers that be, have decided to upgrade to newer handhelds, and at the same time move to Verizon. I think we will be looking at the curve, the tour, etc.

I have decided that with new handhelds comes new features and as a result, we should probably enable some sort of IT policy.

Can you tell me what i need to look out for. Things to not do, things to do. What should we lock out, what are things that users are taking advantage of and causing problems for you? Potential security pitfalls.? Basically, i need to know what to plan for with this new IT policy. Also, i have zero experience with a blackberry IT policy, so i need to know where to start, and what to do...

I appreciate your help!

MavsX

hudsonp 10-07-2009 09:23 AM

we have a pretty loose environment, so the only IT policy we have is the auto locking after 10 minutes, and 5 password attempts before the device gets wiped. pretty simple. we want the users to still see the phone as a "perk" and therefor more willing to respond to work related items.

mavsx 10-07-2009 10:10 AM

good point. But, i still think we will need some sort of IT policy..anyone else have different thoughts on this matter besides hudsonp?

cyclmpc 10-07-2009 10:20 AM

That's a tough question to answer as Policy is created based on your environment and what your group wants to allow or not allow. It's tough for us to say you need to do this or you need to do that.

As a practical matter, the p/w security IMHO is the very least you should do.

I would suggest you read the BES Admin manual on the different properties that the IT Policy can control and from there, you will understand what you can and cannot control. You can then take that information and meet with your group to discuss how you want to manage your HH.

Hope that helps.

mavsx 10-07-2009 10:55 AM

yes, it does help. thank you. so i need to find the bes admin manual

mavsx 10-12-2009 09:53 AM

what do the big companies do?

mavsx 10-12-2009 09:59 AM

bes for groupwise

4.0.7 MR3 (Rollup) (Bundle 50)

i am just posting this for my records..(so i don't have to look it up again)

juwaack68 10-12-2009 09:59 AM

Not sure if we count as a 'big' company, but we have about 800 devices. We use a mix of IT Policies based on the user and their location in the world.

EVERYONE has a password requirement (10 attempts, 6 character minimum). Some policies block the phone, some block the internet, and most of them in the US block text/MMS (that last one will change soon when we get free texting from our US carriers).

My advice would be to make sure you get upper management buy-in on this and that everyone has at least the password requirement. Otherwise you'll get some VP calling you saying they don't want such-and-such policy on their device and you'll wind up with some people not being forced to comply with corporate policy.

mavsx 10-12-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1487512)
Not sure if we count as a 'big' company, but we have about 800 devices. We use a mix of IT Policies based on the user and their location in the world.

EVERYONE has a password requirement (10 attempts, 6 character minimum). Some policies block the phone, some block the internet, and most of them in the US block text/MMS (that last one will change soon when we get free texting from our US carriers).

My advice would be to make sure you get upper management buy-in on this and that everyone has at least the password requirement. Otherwise you'll get some VP calling you saying they don't want such-and-such policy on their device and you'll wind up with some people not being forced to comply with corporate policy.

thanks man, these are some good ideas. I really appreciate your input. I'll make notes of these and bring them up with the big boss.

knottyrope 10-12-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavsx (Post 1487519)
thanks man.

You mean woman.

Hint her signature has a link with ladies in it.

mavsx 10-12-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knottyrope (Post 1487556)
You mean woman.

Hint her signature has a link with ladies in it.

oops. thanks. thanks woman! haha, you know, i clicked that link and i was like ahhhhh my eyes too much pink..i kinda wandered why that link was in there lol.

thanks again.

juwaack68 10-12-2009 05:57 PM

No worries. I focus more on the 'thanks' then the gender reference anyway :-)

mavsx 10-13-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1487791)
No worries. I focus more on the 'thanks' then the gender reference anyway :-)

I got a PM from someone telling me to post this same question to . So i did. I'll see what they come up with too.

thanks again juwaack68

CCK01 10-16-2009 08:19 AM

This is IT director job to make sure when user received the Blackberry. They need to read the agreement of usage. Of course, the CIO have to get all the agreement official signed by the CEO. So, nobody can say anything. Business Security is key...