BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Linux Users Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   KDE or GNOME Poll? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=192701)

LunkHead 06-06-2009 08:45 AM

KDE or GNOME Poll?

Just curious as to what BBF'ers on Linux are using...

Not a debate as to which is better... Personally I do not like KDE and have always used GNOME..

Please vote! :)

Kris

fiestito 06-14-2009 06:30 PM

I have Gnome and KDE on my Debian, but 98% of the time I use Gnome!
I love the look and feel of Gnome, but also I'm a big fan of some KDE apps (that I use on Gnome) like Kopete, Kate, Amarok and K3B.

ArgonNJ 06-14-2009 09:30 PM

I've tried KDE a few times, but always come back to Gnome.

LunkHead 06-15-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiestito (Post 1406200)
I love the look and feel of Gnome, but also I'm a big fan of some KDE apps (that I use on Gnome) like Kopete, Kate, Amarok and K3B.

The best of both worlds.... You know you can use them apps in gnome?

Kris

rasmith3530 06-16-2009 01:05 AM

I started with KDE back in the days of RedHat 6 and 7, and later migrated to Gnome which is what I primarily use today, although I do have to say that I like LXDE and really enjoy OpenBox, especially when it is the desktop behind one of my favorite lightweight Linux distros, #!CrunchBang.

lovescakemix 06-16-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1406321)
I've tried KDE a few times, but always come back to Gnome.

yeah i have always used ubuntu and now i moved to linux mint where i have been for quite some time. but i always have an extra partition to try new distros. everytime i try kde i always want to go back to gnome.

ISBB 06-16-2009 09:41 PM

None of the Above!

XFCE!

sh4d0w_aLch3mis7 06-22-2009 07:00 AM

KDE every day. I started with gnome but quickly discovered kde's awesomeness and haven't looked back. I'm running kubuntu and windows 7 on my laptop, but considering flipping to fedora just to change things up a bit and really give red hat a shot

herb11 06-23-2009 09:04 PM

i like kde much better than gnome, i have always found gnome less intuitive to use, jmho

LunkHead 06-26-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh4d0w_aLch3mis7 (Post 1411927)
KDE every day. I started with gnome but quickly discovered kde's awesomeness and haven't looked back. I'm running kubuntu and windows 7 on my laptop, but considering flipping to fedora just to change things up a bit and really give red hat a shot

Just food for thought here but if you are happy with kubuntu you might consider sticking with it. Fedora is great but it's bleeding edge and a basic testing ground for RHEL..

I jump back and forth between Ubuntu, Fedora, and openSuse depending on who has the latest release... I always find my way back to ubuntu...

Kris

btdown 06-28-2009 09:27 PM

I'm no great fan of Gnome, but its soooo much better than KDE. Every release or so, I go an check to see if KDE still sucks...and yep, it sure does. In fact, I think its getting worse. I wish they would drop KDE support and stop Kubuntu development.

If SuSE went Gnome, I think I might think about switching. ;)

LunkHead 06-28-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btdown (Post 1417094)
I'm no great fan of Gnome, but its soooo much better than KDE. Every release or so, I go an check to see if KDE still sucks...and yep, it sure does. In fact, I think its getting worse. I wish they would drop KDE support and stop Kubuntu development.

If SuSE went Gnome, I think I might think about switching. ;)

Gnome on openSuse rocks! Just download the gnome version... The menu is a bit different than standard Gnome but I think you will like...

Kris

rileyrg 07-05-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead (Post 1407002)
The best of both worlds.... You know you can use them apps in gnome?

Kris

Yes, but then you get horrible inconsistencies in how some of the apps work in terms of key sequences etc. It can help at times however, but personally I stick with Gnome most of the time. Well, actually a hybrid of XMonad and Gnome-Session.

Cavi Mike 07-05-2009 12:00 PM

Can I pencil in "I need a bourbon, a scotch and a beer"?

wabbit 07-16-2009 02:08 AM

i'm shocked people don't like console =/

Dinan3 07-18-2009 05:07 PM

I keep jumping back on to the gnome-wagon. I do not know what it is about kde and I can't quite put my finger on why I dislike it. I'm also fiddling around with the Enlightenment desktop environment also; E17 is quite nice.

davidA 07-18-2009 07:11 PM

I use Ubuntu Hardy Heron (currently) and have checked out a variety of desktop shells but always come back to Gnome ;-)

shwerm601 07-19-2009 09:35 AM

couldnt have said it better myself so ill just quote you (kontact <3 but gnome 4life)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiestito (Post 1406200)

Well Said

bcsi 07-22-2009 11:07 AM

I've been using kde since the late 90's and I still use it on my note books but since the kde 4.x fiasco I've switched my main desktop machine to ubuntu 9.04 with gnome although I still use some kde apps such as konqueror, digiKam, ksnapshot, konsole, kate, kcalc & krdc.

On my notebooks I run OpenSUSE 10.3 with KDE 3.5 and on the newer one OpenSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.1 (what a pain that is).

gnome isn't perfect but I think it's a more natural way of working that kde 4.x

I still like kde 3.5 better than gnome but I've managed to get my desktop under Ubuntu to work sort of like kde 3.5 (more or less, kind of...) so I'm content.

LunkHead 07-22-2009 01:00 PM

KDE 4 was / is a disaster... I hope Gnome does not make the same mistake in gnome 3...

Check out screenshots of gnome 3 in the link below... If this is what they are shooting for, I will be greatly disappointed!!!!

GnomeShell/Screenshots - GNOME Live!

Kris

bcsi 07-22-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead (Post 1434788)
KDE 4 was / is a disaster... I hope Gnome does not make the same mistake in gnome 3...

Check out screenshots of gnome 3 in the link below... If this is what they are shooting for, I will be greatly disappointed!!!!
- GNOME Live![/url]

Kris

Holy frijoles batman!

As long as that's only in the 'overlay mode' and not in the 'looks and works the way I want it mode' then who cares.

Vista was a disaster. kde 4 was a disaster. Anybody see a pattern here? Where are they getting their developers from?

Well, if gnome 3 follows the other 2, there's always Xfce.

I hate change but I love progress.

Aroc 07-23-2009 08:32 AM

My Linux development machine runs Kubuntu mainly because I like Konsole and Konqueror. I've been watching gnome development ever since it was released in response to KDE. I personally don't see the attraction of gnome, but I understand many do prefer gnome so more power to them.

Lately I've been using Netbeans IDE for java/c++/ruby/various. I have used code::blocks, Eclipse, emacs, and vim with good success.

For my appliance-like devices I tend to run something lightweight, like XFCE, blackbox or fluxbox.

rileyrg 07-24-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroc (Post 1435444)
My Linux development machine runs Kubuntu mainly because I like Konsole and Konqueror. I've been watching gnome development ever since it was released in response to KDE. I personally don't see the attraction of gnome, but I understand many do prefer gnome so more power to them.

Lately I've been using Netbeans IDE for java/c++/ruby/various. I have used code::blocks, Eclipse, emacs, and vim with good success.

For my appliance-like devices I tend to run something lightweight, like XFCE, blackbox or fluxbox.

Emacs AND vim ?

Wow ....

JohhnyM 07-28-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmith3530 (Post 1407163)
I started with KDE back in the days of RedHat 6 and 7, and later migrated to Gnome which is what I primarily use today, although I do have to say that I like LXDE and really enjoy OpenBox, especially when it is the desktop behind one of my favorite lightweight Linux distros, #!CrunchBang.

I hear that scotty.

Ruggero 09-10-2009 09:45 AM

KDE. Like more the feel. But like gnome is so sloooow.
I really like enlightment, and xfce.

kodachi 09-27-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISBB (Post 1407792)
None of the Above!

XFCE!

AMEN!

heroj 10-13-2009 02:01 PM

Gnome is much faster than KDE.

adamlau 10-14-2009 03:13 PM

I voted GNOME, but use neither. JWM manages all of my boxes :) .

broch 12-04-2009 03:32 PM

KDE since 1999

displacedtexan 12-16-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

None of the Above!

XFCE!

Winner! Well, at least I'm using XFCE too...

LunkHead 12-28-2009 09:18 PM

Never been a big fan of xfce.... It's really not all that much faster than gnome and it's mainly used on older (slower) boxes... If you have a newer box you are killing yourself by using xfce in my opinion...

halw 01-04-2010 10:55 AM

Voted for KDE. However, have Ubuntu loaded on same system, along with Mepis, and do use Gnome when I feel like Ubuntu'ing.8-)

displacedtexan 01-07-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead (Post 1536672)
Never been a big fan of xfce.... It's really not all that much faster than gnome and it's mainly used on older (slower) boxes... If you have a newer box you are killing yourself by using xfce in my opinion...

Mine's older, but it still does what I want from it. And I'd rather buy tools than computer hardware:D

xeroxide 01-07-2010 10:35 AM

gnome seems a little bit more polished than kde, however some apps on kde look great. but gnome with linux mint is a gouge full of eye candy.

DocPenguin 01-20-2010 02:10 PM

KDE is more powerful, but GNOME is much more clean and streamlined.

I use GNOME on all my systems.

chitowner 04-18-2010 11:05 AM

I've been on Ubuntu through various releases for past 5 years.

GNOME has always been the default interface because it's 'dumbed down' which is what "clean and streamlined" really means, IMHO. That makes it more "accessible" to Windoze refugees- not a bad thing really, but it would be better for folks to be a bit more adventurous. I always add the KDE interface on top of gnome, so the gnome apps are available, but I seldom use any.

As far as I'm concerned, ease-of-use always takes a back seat to detailed control. For example, I've never owned a car with automatic transmission, and so long as I have the physical ability to use it and they are still available, my car will always have a clutch.

As far as the shell or command line usage, it's no surprise that GNOME users shy away from it. I have been progressively using it more and more. Why wait for a gui app to boot, then rustle through various menus to do something, when you can just do a command string? Bingo, you're done.

$0.03
CT

Babis_ECE 08-06-2010 01:44 AM

I have tried a couple of times to use KDE (Kubuntu), but I always come back to GNOME. I believe it's simpler and more "steady" than KDE. OK, the KDE has more features, eyecandy, etc, but If you want to do your job easily, without crashes, etc, GNOME it's better I think.

And about eyecandy in Gnome, I have Compiz and it's awesome..!

hjacker 08-24-2010 08:53 AM

Gnome all the fcking way.

The Sand 09-06-2010 03:06 PM

I am waiting for a new computer to arrive… I am going to set it up to boot Windows and Linux. I am in the process of figuring out exactly what I want to do – how I want to partition the drives, etc. and what version of Linux I want…

I have maemo 5 OS on my other smartphone and ran into trouble flashing the firmware using Windows 7. Linux will give me more “opportunity” for that device.

This was really helpful thread… thanks for sharing your thoughts!:smile:

Sandy

OVERKILL 02-08-2011 12:43 PM

Re: KDE or GNOME Poll?

Quote:

None of the Above!

XFCE!

Agreed (y)