BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pin Messaging? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=5323)

jacobsaa 03-25-2005 12:03 AM

Pin Messaging?

I read Mark's FAQ and searched for this, so please dont get mad if it's out there.

Where do you locate your PIN address? Is it free?

teskew 03-25-2005 12:33 AM

Go to options - status - look for PIN and there's the #. I think you get charged like a text message.

kontesto 06-13-2005 10:27 AM

ANy confirmation on this?

towski394 06-13-2005 10:30 AM

I think PIN messaging is free.....I don't recall seeing a charge for it....PIN messages go through RIM's servers, not your providers....

NJBlackBerry 06-13-2005 10:48 AM

Uh, it HAS to go through your provider; how else would they push it to your BlackBerry. It's just that they don't charge extra for it. It avoids your e-mail infrastructure, it can never avoid the carrier.

towski394 06-13-2005 10:51 AM

Sorry - my mistake - but I was at least partly right.... :)

kelvin 06-13-2005 11:24 AM

I am not sure about others, but Nextel changes you as an SMS message for PIN messages. It adds up on plans (like mine) that do not have unlimited.

NJBlackBerry 06-13-2005 11:41 AM

Interesting. I didn't know Nextel supported SMS...

Mess 06-13-2005 11:47 AM

I have Cingular as my provider, and it doesn't show up in my web client. I know others with other carriers, and they say the same thing. To me it's much quicker, which the whole point of push technology.

udontknowjack 06-13-2005 12:10 PM

PIN to PIN messaging is basically device to device using RIMs gateway. It travels the network via your data plan not sms. If it were SMS, you could PIN on a GSM/GPRS phone when out of data coverage but you can't do that so it uses your data plan. The carrier would not know if you sent a PIN because it is through RIM's gateway. If you have unlimited data, then you would never see a charge for PIN messages.

Dawg 06-13-2005 04:20 PM

I use nextel and I havent had the first charge for pin and i pin my coworkers 40 50 tgimes a day so no charge on nextel for pin messaging
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvin
I am not sure about others, but Nextel changes you as an SMS message for PIN messages. It adds up on plans (like mine) that do not have unlimited.

rcrivera03 06-13-2005 05:10 PM

I use Nextel as well, and I remember asking this when I purchased my first BB. I have not seen a charge for PIN messages either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg
I use nextel and I havent had the first charge for pin and i pin my coworkers 40 50 tgimes a day so no charge on nextel for pin messaging

Grammer 06-13-2005 05:51 PM

My phone number: 734-xxx-xxxx
My PIN number: 201xxxxx

Two different numbers, two different services. Thats how it works in my mind. Dont know for sure though. But I HAVE NOT seen a charge for them.

rsun 06-13-2005 06:03 PM

Yes, it's just another data connection all through RIM's servers.

BBJunkie 06-14-2005 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsaa
I read Mark's FAQ and searched for this, so please dont get mad if it's out there.

Where do you locate your PIN address? Is it free?

I know many have already replied to your message, but here is the best way to find a pin message in the future or if you wish to forward you PIN in a email format. If you type "mypin" in the body of your email message, your pin number will automatically come up! Pretty cool............

Dawg 06-14-2005 04:48 AM

Look at the date of the post and the amount of post he has I think hes probally had an answer by now. Hes been pretty active on the forums.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBJunkie
I know many have already replied to your message, but here is the best way to find a pin message in the future or if you wish to forward you PIN in a email format. If you type "mypin" in the body of your email message, your pin number will automatically come up! Pretty cool............

JDWallace 06-14-2005 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcrivera03
I use Nextel as well, and I remember asking this when I purchased my first BB. I have not seen a charge for PIN messages either.

I am in the same boat with Nextel, Never been charged for PINs!

dkhanal 06-14-2005 02:56 PM

I used the PIN to PIN Messaging (both send and receive) a few times to see if my carrier (T-Mobile) charges for them. I do not see any charges in my bill...neither any minutes deducted for PtoP messaging allowance (I am on 300 messages a month plan for $2.99).

D. Khanal

dhm001 06-14-2005 07:36 PM

I have Cingular and it gives me the option to PIN someone if I add their PIN in the address book.