BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

mriff 02-27-2009 02:12 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3577/...72fd6227_o.jpg

test54 02-27-2009 02:14 PM

that would be the best way to end this thread. Somehow I doubt that will happen.

mriff 02-27-2009 02:30 PM

If you care to see an interesting debate of the topic at hand, see Roger Eberts review of Expelled. So far there are 1364 comments. And counting.

Roger Ebert's Journal: Roger Ebert: January 2009 Archives

djm2 02-27-2009 02:42 PM

Sorry if I have been out of the loop again -- those pesky clients. God bless 'em they aree keeping me very busy during this economy, so I am NOT complaining. Rather I want to do everything I can to make sure that they are happy.

Regardless: I must Google Expelled, because I hadn't even heard of it.

And mriff, what do you do with your spare time?? I would have thought that you were intimately familiar with all of evolutionary theory! :razz:

mriff 02-27-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1302001)
Regardless: I must Google Expelled, because I hadn't even heard of it.

You will be shocked.

Quote:

And mriff, what do you do with your spare time?? I would have thought that you were intimately familiar with all of evolutionary theory! :razz:
I'll have to get right on that. Although all that early big bang stuff scares me! Not sure I can handle theoretical cosmology. :oops:

test54 02-27-2009 04:08 PM

I did not see Expelled, I do however like Ben Stein. I did not go out of my way to see it mainly because it seems too preachy (irony) to me. I am watching Religulous with friends this weekend.

mriff 02-27-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1302111)
I did not see Expelled, I do however like Ben Stein. I did not go out of my way to see it mainly because it seems too preachy (irony) to me. I am watching Religulous with friends this weekend.

If you watched Expelled first and then watched Religulous second, back to back, your head might explode! :razz: Those two movies are literally 180 degrees apart.

test54 02-27-2009 04:45 PM

I might have to try that. Add about 4 or 5 adult beverages and I might devolve into Neanderthal.

mriff 02-27-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1302184)
I might have to try that. Add about 4 or 5 adult beverages and I might devolve into Neanderthal.

:razz:

test54 02-28-2009 01:29 AM

OK Religulous done next is Expelled. Religulous was very good at inspiring debate which is not always good when you add alcohol, but it was entertaining if you can take Bill Maher.

djm2 02-28-2009 10:08 AM

OK mriff, you called it. I was in fact shocked. I usually think that I'm a pretty good judge of character, even on those levels, and I would never have predicted that!

I'm pretty sure that you are familiar with the AAAS commentary on the subject matter, but for others who might be interested here is an abbbreviated clip produced by the pre-eminent scientific ccommunity in the United States, The American Association for the Advancement of Science.

YouTube - Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed -- AAAS Response

mriff 02-28-2009 11:14 AM

Yep, I saw the AAAS response. Well done.

There are some others that are very good on YouTube. Search on 'Thunderf00t' (zero's instead of letter o). He has a series called 'Why do people laugh at creationists'. They are very good. Here's one of my favorites in which he goes after Kent Hovind and one of his silly statements about water and that one drop will cover the earth if you 'spread it real thin'. (He goes after Hovind in many of his videos.) (djm, I think you in particular will like this series, especially the one posted below.)

YouTube - Why do people laugh at creationists 4

mriff 02-28-2009 11:25 AM

Wow, just wow. :smile:

YouTube - Why do people laugh at creationists 6

djm2 02-28-2009 12:45 PM

Very good, although some of the laugh lines can ring hollow, especially in the context of the education debate. Sorry to add the sobering note.

mriff 02-28-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1303050)
Very good, although some of the laugh lines can ring hollow, especially in the context of the education debate. Sorry to add the sobering note.

Exsqueeze me? :razz: Not sure I understand your point. Maybe it's because I was laughing too hard and missed the laugh lines. :oops:

djm2 02-28-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1303089)
Exsqueeze me? :razz: Not sure I understand your point. Maybe it's because I was laughing too hard and missed the laugh lines. :oops:

What I meant is that you and I can easily find it very humorous -- and believe me I do -- but the entire issue is quite serious when viewed within the context of the goal of "the movement" of watering down an already weak educational system.

Sorry -- I was somewhat cryptic.

mriff 02-28-2009 01:33 PM

Oh, I completely agree. How serious is it? Check this out. Right here in my back yard.

Florida Citizens for Science

djm2 02-28-2009 01:38 PM

Obviously the issue is much more germane in your home state than mine, but it does require the sort of constant attention by all concerned citizens. However, I'm preaching to the choir on that one.;-)

mriff 02-28-2009 01:55 PM

Senator Stephen Wise recently asked 'if we evolved from apes, why are there still apes'. His friend on the other side of the aisle? Alan Hays. Who had this to say about the Theory of Evolution: xxx8220;The thing we learned last year is that, No. 1, we must keep the discussion scientific. I donxxx8217;t know of anyone who is in favor of teaching religion in public,xxx8221; he said. xxx8220;We want the students to know that the theory of evolution is only a theory, it has never ever been scientifically proven, and it should be accepted as that.xxx8221;

A recent blog entry: Wandering in the Wilderness Senator Stephen Wise

mriff 02-28-2009 02:01 PM

I'll be watching this one very closely. It will happen right here in my back yard. I will have my pen/computer keyboard ready. I really can't believe how uninformed this guy is. His comments supporting his bill are shockingly bad.

Wise to introduce bill on intelligent design | Jacksonville.com


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.