BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Network (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   HOWTO: Use BlackBerry on Generic NON-BlackBerry Data Plan (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=98136)

Mark Rejhon 10-02-2007 02:00 PM

HOWTO: Use BlackBerry on Generic NON-BlackBerry Data Plan

These questions get asked so often, over and over, about how to use a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry plan, and simply using a generic data plan. I earlier made a FAQ on another forum on how to use a BlackBerry on the cheap data plans, and I am donating a copy of my FAQ:
Quote:

Note: The information was originally designed for Rogers Canada, due to the high data pricing in Canada. However, this works on any GSM carrier in the world (even carriers that don't support BlackBerry), though some sections such as APN, needs to be edited.
  • Q: What is the difference between the BlackBerry data plan versus generic data plan?
    A: The BlackBerry data plan gives you access to BlackBerry-branded software such as BlackBerry email, and BlackBerry browser, etc, as well as other enhancements appropriate to business. However, either kinds of plans work fine with third-party applications.
  • Q: What kind of data usage can I use on BlackBerry with just a generic data plan?
    A: You can use third-party software such as Opera Mini, IM+, GMAIL Mobile, Google Maps Mobile, BBWeather, etc. A lot of these applications are free. You just can't use BlackBerry-RIM-branded applications, but almost everything else you download off the Net into your BlackBerry works. Everything else you would normally use, such as phone, voicemail, PIM, SMS, etc, work perfectly on a BlackBerry.
  • Q: Why use a non-BlackBerry data plan on a BlackBerry?
    A: As one example using Rogers Canada, see the price comparision: Rogers Mobile Internet versus Rogers BlackBerry Plans
    ...$5 for 5 MB of non-BlackBerry data
    ...$10 for 10 MB non-BlackBerry data
    ..........versus...
    ...$45 for 7 MB of BlackBerry data.
    As you can see, you can get a generic data plan for BlackBerry for less than one quarter the price at this Canadian carrier! Another reason is to be able to use a BlackBerry with a carrier that doesn't support BlackBerry.
  • Q: Why is there such a large price difference on Rogers?
    A: Rogers originally priced BlackBerry for businesses. New BlackBerry models with cameras, memory card, MP3, and GPS, have made BlackBerry a lot more attractive to consumers. Unfortunately, Rogers has not yet released consumer-priced BlackBerry plans. Fortunately, Rogers released consumer-priced NON-BlackBerry plans and they DO work on a BlackBerry. Also, some carriers in other countries have a similiar situation, or their non-BlackBerry plans have other superior features.
  • Q: How do I install third party software?
    A: Most third party software can be installed using BlackBerry Desktop over a USB cable. BlackBerry Desktop is software included with a BlackBerry or available from BlackBerry's website. Links to example common software that have desktop installers:
    Opera Mini - Opera Mini (Version 4 Beta is much better)
    IM+ Chat - Chat software AIM/MSN/iChat/Yahoo/ICQ/GoogleTalk
    These are the easiest applications to install on a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry plan.
  • Q: Some software can only be installed wirelessly. How do I install these?
    A: Unfortunately, wireless install doesn't work without a BlackBerry plan, so you have to manually install the software instead. Some third party software such as GMAIL Mobile, Google Maps Mobile, are designed to be installed wirelessly through BlackBerry Browser, which doesn't work without a BlackBerry plan. Opera Mini doesn't install applications. So there are a few options to install these software:
    1. Borrow another BlackBerry's SIM card for a few minutes, just to download the applications; or
    2. Use a command line utility called javaloader/JL_Cmdr; or
    3. Convert .jad/.jar (regular cellphone download) to .cod/.alx (blackberry desktop install) using a conversion utility.
  • Q: How do I install GMAIL?
    A: GMAIL is becoming the most frequently requested application, because it makes it convenient to do email on a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry plan. Unfortunately, GMAIL was designed to be installed wirelessly which doesn't work without BlackBerry Browser (which doesn't show up without a BlackBerry plan). So, as an alternative method of manually installing GMAIL on BlackBerry, see instructions on how to install GMAIL without a BlackBerry plan, which essentially are these steps:
    - Download the two original .cod files from google's site (see onelikeseapass' post)
    - Copy and paste the text into an .alx file
    - Make sure both .cod files and the .alx file are in the same folder.
    - Install in BlackBerry Desktop by pointing it to the .alx file. (Follow standard BlackBerry Desktop instructions on how to add software to a BlackBerry).
    Note: An .alx is just a text file but with an .alx extension instead of .txt. Just run Windows Notepad from the Start Menu, and Save As using a filename with ".alx" at the end (Save as Type = "All Files").
  • Q: I thought BlackBerry can only be used with BlackBerry plans?
    A: While formerly true, this is now a myth. Since BlackBerry OS version 4.0, BlackBerries work great with third-party data applications.
  • Q: I thought all data went through BlackBerry servers? Is this wrong?
    A: This isn't true for most third party applications. Third party applications typically bypass the BlackBerry servers, and that is why they work on a BlackBerry.
  • Q: I don't need email, I thought BlackBerry was only good for email?
    A: The modern BlackBerry does not need to be used for email. You can do texting, cameraphone, GPS, third party data applications, etc. All of those work without a BlackBerry plan.
  • Q: How do I configure my BlackBerry?
    A: You will have to change its APN, just like you do for any cellphone. For Rogers, the APN is as follows:
    Options -> Advanced -> TCP -> APN
    Change to "internet.com" and Save.
    If you are using a different carrier than Rogers, you will have to fill in different APN information. There are a lot of APN lists on the Internet you can check, including this carrier APN listing, to find the APN appropriate to your carrier.
  • Q: I already got the $5 data plan! Can I use my SIM card from my regular phone?
    A: Yes. Just move the SIM card to your BlackBerry.
  • Q: Can I use my SIM card from my TREO or other data device?
    A: Yes, any compatible SIM card with any data plan can be used on a BlackBerry. It will just count as the same kind of data. Yes, even prepaid SIM cards works, although prepaid isn't usually cost-effective. Just make sure it's a SIM card from the same carrier, unless your BlackBerry is already unlocked.
  • Q: Can I use any BlackBerry?
    A: Yes, any recent BlackBerry from your carrier can be used. You can use 71XX series, 8XXX series, Pearl, Curve, right away. Alternatively, if your carrier does not sell BlackBerries, you can obtain an unlocked BlackBerry elsewhere.
  • Q: Do I need to modify my BlackBerry?
    A: Other than configuring the APN setting, there is no other modifications needed, unless it's a very old model. An old model such as 72XX may work if you upgrade its software to the latest BlackBerry OS firmware of at least Version 4.0 which has the configurable APN.
  • Q: Can I use my unlocked GSM BlackBerry?
    A: Yes, unlocked GSM BlackBerry works, from any foreign GSM carrier.
  • Q: Can I do this on CDMA?
    A: It's a little more tricky if your device does not have a SIM card slot. This FAQ mainly covers GSM BlackBerry models.
  • Q: Can I get email without a BlackBerry plan?
    A: You won't get BlackBerry-branded push email and the BlackBerry-branded web browser won't work, so you will need to install third party software. One email application that works on the BlackBerry without a BlackBerry plan, is GMAIL Mobile. Unfortunately it won't alert you (no vibration alert upon receiving email), but it's fine for casual email checking, ala iPhone/etc.
  • Q: How is texting on a BlackBerry like?
    A: The QWERTY keyboards can make it very convenient. You can also use a texting plan, as BlackBerry allows you to easily write huge text messages (messages up to around 1000 characters) which automatically gets split up to 6 text messages. These are actually automatically combined into one message by some other phones that automatically recombine segmented text messages (such as other BlackBerries).
  • Q: I heard you get charged extra if you bypass the BlackBerry servers.
    A: At this time of writing, many carriers, such as Rogers now consider it all the same data on the phone bill. Both Blackberry data and non-BlackBerry data count equally. (just that you get the extras such as BlackBerry email with a BlackBerry plan). On Rogers, people who use Rogers Navigate plans on a BlackBerry just get billed for data just like they would use any cellphone. People who use BlackBerry plans on a BlackBerry and use non-BlackBerry applications.
  • Q: BlackBerry plans include compression. Generic data plans don't?
    A: BlackBerry plans definitely includes very good compression (email/web), however, there are ways to get compression on generic data plans. Some third party applications such as Opera Mini now includes compression that work on ANY data plan, not just BlackBerry plans. (Opera Mini Compression Article #1, Article #2). In fact, Opera Mini's compression is as good as BlackBerry Browser in actual usage trials for HTML browsing. Images can be turned off (downloaded manually), or downloaded in low-quality mode (highly compressed), just like BlackBerry Browser. If you mainly do WAP browsing in BlackBerry Browser, then make sure you turn images off with Opera Mini, to make web page views only 10 to 20 kilobytes each. This gives you a few hundred webpage views per month on a typical 10MB generic data plan.
  • Q: How much data does GMAIL Mobile uses?
    A: While not as efficient as BlackBerry Email, it's much more efficient than iPhone email and Pocket Outlook (Windows Mobile). GMAIL uses the following compression techniques: Making email download manual (downloads only the most recent few headers only, and new emails), makes attachment download optional, downloading only kilobytes-sized image thumbnails or text snippets when you actually try to download a megabytes-sized thumbnails or text snippets. GMAIL is pretty safe on a 10MB generic data plan, although you probably want to quit the GMAIL software whenever you're done with it as leaving it idling will continually use small amounts of data (as it downloads new email headers). Currently, GMAIL mobile does not seem to use zip-style recompression on downloads of the text portions of emails (which is small to begin with, anyway), but it does the more important compression tactics such as making download optional, and downsizing when viewing attachments -- that's the scary part that good 'ol GMAIL Mobile prevents you from killing your data plan with.
  • Q: Does Opera Mini have a data counter?
    A: Yes! This is why it's better than BlackBerry Browser too. It has the similiar excellent compression abilities, yet BlackBerry Browser does not have a data counter. To be safe, carefully monitor the Opera Mini data counter in Opera Mini -> HELP -> About .... Make sure you don't use more than half your monthly allotment, as a safety margin. In fact, I've been frequently using Opera Mini with images turned on during my 200MB Rogers data plan, and I still use less than 10MB Opera-specific data usage per month, but to begin with, I recommend you turn images off until you ascertain how much data usage you get out of Opera Mini. The data counter is a great feature Opera Mini gives you that BlackBerry Browser doesn't even give you, the ability to monitor your web data usage on a BlackBerry! Don't forget that reinstalling Opera Mini will erase your data counter, so take this into account. (This data counter is great even for BlackBerry-plan subscribers too)
  • Q: Should I turn off image download in Opera Mini?
    A: Yes, to begin with, especially if you're on the $5 data plan. You have one-click "download all images for this page" for those times when you feel you need to view images, anyway. Use the data counter in Opera Mini to monitor your web browsing. In Opera Mini, all images are automatically recompressed into low-quality JPEG's by default, so even image downloads of the most graphical websites such as Space.com takes well under 100 kilobytes, much like in BlackBerry Browser but with much better rendering capabilities. With images turned off, your web pages can be typically only 10 to 20KB each (depending on site), thanks to Opera Mini compression.
  • Q: I am using this much BlackBerry data per month. Is it safe to switch to a generic data plan?
    A: It is recommended to make sure you have a 3:1 safety margin if you decide to switch to a generic data plan. If you are a Rogers Canada user and your current usage is 3MB, the cheap Rogers Canada $10 for 10MB data plan would be very appropriate for your needs. For every 1MB of actual usage, figure in 3MB of generic data plan. This assumes you do not need to use BlackBerry email, and you plan to keep your usage similiar to what you have now. The extra safety margin ensures you are highly unlikely to have data overages. Most of the time, your actual usage will remain the same (assuming light email and chat usage), meaning 3MB remains close to 3MB when you switch from BlackBerry to non-BlackBerry. Your data usage may increase slightly with frequent launchings of GMAIL Mobile, leaving GMAIL Mobile running for longer periods, increased Opera Mini browsing from the novelty of having such a great mobile browser, etc. That is why this extra (potentially unnecessary) safety margin is recommended.
  • Q: What are the data overage costs?
    A: This varies by carrier, but on Rogers the data overage costs are 3 cents per kilobyte (as of the time of this writing) for a non-BlackBerry plan. While high, you can use a BlackBerry cautiously enough by doing things such as turning off images during web browsing. While the BlackBerry does not have a data counter, many applications such as Opera Mini and Google Maps Mobile, have a built-in data counter which you can read the total download, and make sure you don't use too much.
  • Q: How good is BlackBerry as an organizer?
    A: This is one of the advantages of switching to BlackBerry too, as well, as its organizer capabilities work fine without a BlackBerry plan. Organizer facilities are getting much better, and can synchronize its Addressbook and Calendar to Microsoft outlook your desktop computer. Macintosh synchronization software is also now available. BlackBerry Desktop can also convert data from Palm Desktop too, as well. There is also new third party PIM software that is becoming PalmPilot-quality.
  • Q: What do I benefit if I later upgrade to a real BlackBerry plan?
    A: Mainly, you get BlackBerry email, but other subtle benefits include the ability to use other BlackBerry applications such as BlackBerry Browser, wireless software install capability, ability to attach cameraphone pictures to email or MMS, ability to tether BlackBerry to a laptop (USB and Bluetooth), etc. If one of these capabilities is extremely important to you, you'll just have to pay the full BlackBerry fee which is kind of extreme in Canada.
  • Q: I have a "Data Connection Refused" message on my BlackBerry.
    A: Ignore this message - this is only for BlackBerry server (BIS). Opera Mini and other third party applications should still work, even when you see this message. Some people report this message dissappears after several hours.
  • Q: You say BlackBerry Browser should not work. But I heard some people have BlackBerry Browser working on a generic data plan?
    A: The reports are inconsistent, and depends on the carrier. According to a few reports by Rogers Canada users, the Rogers VISION data plan actually enables the WAP browsing feature on a BlackBerry, but there actually ends up being some rather severe prerequisites on Rogers Canada, for example:
    - You need to switch to a VISION data plan instead of Navigate data plan, and VISION plans have a 3-year committment;
    - You need a recent BlackBerry such as Pearl or Curve;
    - You need a recent compatible BlackBerry operating system such as T-Mobile OS (if you install T-Mobile BlackBerry OS on a Rogers BlackBerry, don't forget to delete the VENDOR.XML file and relaunch BlackBerry Desktop.)
    - You can only do WAP browsing, not HTML browsing.
    The main advantage of using BlackBerry WAP Browser, is WAP access and the ability to download third party software wirelessly, which is the easiest way to install third party software on a BlackBerry. Opera Mini should be used for full HTML browsing.
  • Q: My Google Maps works but my IM+ or JiveTalk chat software do not work!
    A: This is usually because it's trying to login through the BlackBerry network instead of through generic Internet data (TCP/IP through the APN). You need to configure your software's Settings to connect to the Internet using "TCP/IP" instead of "BIS". Instructions on how to configure third party software, can vary from program to program. In JiveTalk, this means go into "Preferences", scroll to bottom, and changing the "Transport" setting to "TCP" instead of "BIS". The BIS connection only works when you are subscribed to full BlackBerry service, so you must make sure the third party software are using generic TCP/IP instead.
  • Q: I downgraded my BlackBerry plan to a non-BlackBerry plan. My 3rd party apps stopped working!
    There are many reasons why this may be happening. Here is a checklist:
    - Verify that you really do have a generic data plan on your account.
    - Your carrier is replacing certain generic data plans. For example, the Rogers Navigate data plan is being superseded by the Rogers VISION plan. Verify that your carrier didn't remove a discontinued data plan from your account.
    - Make sure you have a lowercase "edge" / "gprs" displayed near your reception bars in the main BlackBerry screen, and you have good reception.
    - Make sure you are running BlackBerry OS 4.1 or later (Options -> About)
    - Make sure your APN is configured properly. (Options -> Advanced -> TCP -> APN)
    - Ignore the "Data Connection Refused" message.
    - Verify your software (IM+ / JiveTalk) is configured to "TCP/IP" instead of "BIS"
    - Reinstall your third party software (i.e. Opera Mini) if reconfiguring its Internet connection does not work.
    - Not all third party software function with generic data (i.e. RIM Google Talk won't work), replace with compatible software (i.e. replace RIM Google Talk with JiveTalk instead).
    - Reboot your BlackBerry after changing plans and reconfiguring settings. (Remove and reinsert battery after saving new settings)
    - Use Opera Mini instead of BlackBerry Browser.
    - If all else fails, upgrade your BlackBerry to the latest OS version by another carrier such as T-Mobile (some people report T-Mobile BlackBerry operating systems work much better with generic data)
  • Q: Is this legal?
    A: Yes it is. You're just choosing to use a BlackBerry as your regular consumer cellphone, with the same kind of data plan available to any cellphone. There are no locks on a BlackBerry preventing you to do so.
  • Q: Who made this FAQ?
    A: Mark Rejhon (marky.com homepage) originally wrote this FAQ. Please keep this original credit intact, and do not delete this if you modify this FAQ. Thanks.

LunkHead 10-02-2007 02:04 PM

WOW!!!!! This is awesome

(y) (y) (y)

Thanks!!!!

Kris

Mark Rejhon 10-02-2007 02:16 PM

Please feel free to add it to your FAQ, or make it a sticky or whatever...

Now everybody has something to refer to when someone asks "Can I use a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry data plan?". ;-)

LunkHead 10-02-2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon (Post 690354)
Please feel free to add it to your FAQ, or make it a sticky or whatever...

Now everybody has something to refer to when someone asks "Can I use a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry data plan?". ;-)

Thank you Sir, I will get it added to the FAQ's ASAP.... (y)

Kris

LunkHead 10-02-2007 04:01 PM

I got it added!

For your review / approval Sir...

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

avanden 10-02-2007 09:16 PM

Oooohhh! This is good to know! I'm finally upgrading from my Motorola V557 to a Curve in a few weeks but have not been too keen on adding a Blackberry plan (I'm on AT&T) as I really can't afford an extra $40 a month for it. I mostly want it for easier texting (I've become a texting fiend over the summer), calendar and accessing my gmail & internet when I don't have access to my desktop or laptop.

secrecyguy 10-02-2007 10:17 PM

I take it that it only works on Rogers?

What about T-mobile?

If it works on T-mobile than maybe I go ahead and get the Blackberry 8320 Curve and sign up for the Total Internet Data plan.

I was planning to get rid of my Blackberry and get a Windows phone.

JSanders 10-03-2007 08:47 AM

Mark, it does have a lot of references that will only work on Rogers, i.e., the "How do I configure my BlackBerry" question pertaining to APN. Those settings only work on Rogers and the FAQ does not state that.

Mark Rejhon 10-03-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 691285)
Mark, it does have a lot of references that will only work on Rogers, i.e., the "How do I configure my BlackBerry" question pertaining to APN. Those settings only work on Rogers and the FAQ does not state that.

You are right. This FAQ was designed originally for the Rogers network, because few carriers in few countries have a massive differential between BlackBerry pricing and non-BlackBerry pricing.

However, it can be adapted to any other network.
[Edited: My FAQ has been updated to be a little more genericized]

Mark Rejhon 10-03-2007 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secrecyguy (Post 690937)
If it works on T-mobile than maybe I go ahead and get the Blackberry 8320 Curve and sign up for the Total Internet Data plan.

I'm pretty sure it works. The APN information would have to be different...
[Edited: My FAQ has been edited to be more genericized]

Mark Rejhon 10-03-2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead (Post 690444)
I got it added!

For your review / approval Sir...

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

Excellent stuff, but I made some changes to my FAQ that isn't reflected in this -- can you compare the FAQ's... I'll try to update both in the future, but for now, I'm on deadlines at work...

Mark Rejhon 10-04-2007 08:36 PM

Other news -- the new Rogers 1GB $65 laptop card plan apparently works on BlackBerry too. (no BlackBerry email, but third party apps works and you still can tether the BlackBerry to laptop.)

fr0zen 10-04-2007 09:11 PM

sweet i gotta try this out! thanks

Mark Rejhon 10-04-2007 10:40 PM

With Bell Mobility and Telus now offering 1 gigabyte actual BlackBerry plans ($100), I'm hoping Rogers is going to follow suit in the near future.

Mark Rejhon 10-08-2007 03:10 PM

Additions to FAQ:
Q: BlackBerry plans include compression. Generic data plans don't?
A: BlackBerry plans definitely includes very good compression (email/web), however, there are ways to get compression on generic data plans. Some third party applications such as Opera Mini now includes compression that work on ANY data plan, not just BlackBerry plans. (Opera Mini Compression Article #1, Article #2). In fact, Opera Mini's compression is as good as BlackBerry Browser in actual usage trials for HTML browsing. Images can be turned off (downloaded manually), or downloaded in low-quality mode (highly compressed), just like BlackBerry Browser. If you mainly do WAP browsing in BlackBerry Browser, then make sure you turn images off with Opera Mini, to make web page views only 10 to 20 kilobytes each. This gives you a few hundred webpage views per month on a typical 10MB generic data plan.
Q: How much data does GMAIL Mobile uses?
A: While not as efficient as BlackBerry Email, it's much more efficient than iPhone email and Pocket Outlook (Windows Mobile). GMAIL uses the following compression techniques: Making email download manual (downloads only the most recent few headers only, and new emails), makes attachment download optional, downloading only kilobytes-sized image thumbnails or text snippets when you actually try to download a megabytes-sized thumbnails or text snippets. GMAIL is pretty safe on a 10MB generic data plan, although you probably want to quit the GMAIL software whenever you're done with it as leaving it idling will continually use small amounts of data (as it downloads new email headers). Currently, GMAIL mobile does not seem to use zip-style recompression on downloads of the text portions of emails (which is small to begin with, anyway), but it does the more important compression tactics such as making download optional, and downsizing when viewing attachments -- that's the scary part that good 'ol GMAIL Mobile prevents you from killing your data plan with.
Q: Does Opera Mini have a data counter?
A: Yes! This is why it's better than BlackBerry Browser too. It has the similiar excellent compression abilities, yet BlackBerry Browser does not have a data counter. To be safe, carefully monitor the Opera Mini data counter in Opera Mini -> HELP -> About .... Make sure you don't use more than half your monthly allotment, as a safety margin. In fact, I've been frequently using Opera Mini with images turned on during my 200MB Rogers data plan, and I still use less than 10MB Opera-specific data usage per month, but to begin with, I recommend you turn images off until you ascertain how much data usage you get out of Opera Mini. The data counter is a great feature Opera Mini gives you that BlackBerry Browser doesn't even give you, the ability to monitor your web data usage on a BlackBerry! Don't forget that reinstalling Opera Mini will erase your data counter, so take this into account. (This data counter is great even for BlackBerry-plan subscribers too)
Q: Should I turn off image download in Opera Mini?
A: Yes, to begin with, especially if you're on the $5 data plan. You have one-click "download all images for this page" for those times when you feel you need to view images, anyway. Use the data counter in Opera Mini to monitor your web browsing. In Opera Mini, all images are automatically recompressed into low-quality JPEG's by default, so even image downloads of the most graphical websites such as Learn More at Space.com. From Satellites to Stars, NASA information, Astronomy, the Sun and the Planets, we have your information here. takes well under 100 kilobytes, much like in BlackBerry Browser but with much better rendering capabilities. With images turned off, your web pages can be typically only 10 to 20KB each (depending on site), thanks to Opera Mini compression.
Q: I am using this much data per month. Is it safe to switch to the generic data plan?
A: It is recommended to make sure you have a 3:1 safety margin if you decide to switch to a generic data plan. If you are a Rogers Canada user and your current usage is 3MB, the cheap Rogers Canada $10 for 10MB data plan would be very appropriate for your needs. For every 1MB of actual usage, figure in 3MB of generic data plan. This assumes you do not need to use BlackBerry email, and you plan to keep your usage similiar to what you have now. The extra safety margin ensures you are highly unlikely to have data overages.

webstar25 10-15-2007 06:12 PM

Mark,

Will Rogers allow you to use the $10/10MB data plan on a no voice line.

I know with Fido you can get Data Only on a line with no voice at all can you do the same with Rogers?

webstar25 10-16-2007 08:52 AM

I just got this from Rogers via email to my question if they allow Data Only Plans. Ok so where is the $10/10MB plan on this list???

In your recent email, you have informed us that you would like to know
if Rogers offers a data only service.

We do have data only options available with Rogers, the following plans
are available to customers:
$15.00/month, for 1.5MB ($21.00 per additional MB)
$25.00/month, for 3MB ($10.00 per additional MB)
$40.00/month, for 7MB ($6.00 per additional MB)
$60.00/month, for 25MB ($7.00 per additional MB)
$100.00/month, for 200MB ($5.00 per additional MB)
$210.00/month for 500MB ($5.00 per additional MB)

Mark Rejhon 10-16-2007 12:25 PM

It says so $10 for 10MB on Roger's Website -- it's a special but I think you must already have a voice plan. You forgot to click the link in my FAQ:
Quote:

[*]Q: Why use a non-BlackBerry data plan on a BlackBerry?
A: As one example using Rogers Canada, see the price comparision: Rogers Mobile Internet versus Rogers BlackBerry Plans
...$5 for 5 MB of non-BlackBerry data
...$10 for 10 MB non-BlackBerry data
..........versus...
...$45 for 7 MB of BlackBerry data.
As you can see, you can get a generic data plan for BlackBerry for less than one quarter the price at this Canadian carrier! Another reason is to be able to use a BlackBerry with a carrier that doesn't support BlackBerry.

webstar25 10-16-2007 12:35 PM

Oh, I clicked the link but it says nothing about requiring a voice plan. Thats why I emailed them.

MEADOW 10-21-2007 10:44 PM

any one can help how to setup msn on balck merry 8300

Mark Rejhon 10-22-2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEADOW (Post 711920)
any one can help how to setup msn on balck merry 8300

Please ask this in the "Aftermarket Software" forum.

As of now, the best MSN for BlackBerry is JiveTalk
Please do NOT reply to my message about MSN or JiveTalk but post a new message in Aftermarket Software. Click the links at the top of this page instead of the "Reply" button. Thank you!

Mark Rejhon 10-23-2007 09:50 AM

I just got reports that Consilent push mail works on a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry plan. It's a 3rd party mail client, that apparently supports installation on BlackBerry, and does not require a BlackBerry plan.
Consilent.com -
Free Mobile Push Email - Consilient Push

soliduss 10-23-2007 02:15 PM

Help I have an 8700c and I am using a pre paid plan I looked up the APN settings for cingular non contract WAP.CINGULAR etc...etc.. When I go to network setup for Opera Mini it says testing 1/20 it takes about 2 or 3 mins after which a pop up shows I have been charged a penny but opera says failure to connect. I have also noticed that when I first got the phone before I inserted my sim or anything I didn't have a browser or a medianet icon (is that a problem) also my blackberry won't update to OS 4.2 any help would be appreciated I love my blackberry but I am not getting into a new contract with cingular just to use it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

superz 10-23-2007 05:16 PM

hey, i just added Rogers 10MB plan and i changed my APN, but how do I know im now connected with the data? Am I suppose to use the Rogers WAP icon to use Internet or is there another icon/application im supposed to go to. Im a little bit confused lol, help?

Mark Rejhon 10-24-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superz (Post 714200)
hey, i just added Rogers 10MB plan and i changed my APN, but how do I know im now connected with the data? Am I suppose to use the Rogers WAP icon to use Internet or is there another icon/application im supposed to go to. Im a little bit confused lol, help?

You're connected if you see "gprs" or "edge" in the main screen.

No, you do not get a WAP or Browser icon (although some Rogers VISION users now see this -- you may want to test switch to a VISINO plan)

Most of the time, you need to install third-party software to use data. Go to http://www.operamini.com, download Opera Mini 4, and install via BlackBerry Desktop over your USB cable.

Paddington 10-29-2007 07:43 PM

the main reason i got the BB was to connect it up with my work email, does not having a blackberry data plan effect this or is this an issue it only an extra £14 per month so i not fussed about the cost i am trying to get away from orange and the phones locked to orange (purchased of Ebay)

Mark Rejhon 10-30-2007 03:48 PM

More new additions to FAQ made:
  • Q: I have a "Data Connection Refused" message on my BlackBerry.
    A: Ignore this message - this is only for BlackBerry server (BIS). Opera Mini and other third party applications should still work, even when you see this message. Some people report this message dissappears after several hours.
  • Q: You say BlackBerry Browser should not work. But I heard some people have BlackBerry Browser working on a generic data plan?
    A: The reports are inconsistent, and depends on the carrier. According to a few reports by Rogers Canada users, the Rogers VISION data plan actually enables the WAP browsing feature on a BlackBerry, but there actually ends up being some rather severe prerequisites on Rogers Canada, for example:
    - You need to switch to a VISION data plan instead of Navigate data plan, and VISION plans have a 3-year committment;
    - You need a recent BlackBerry such as Pearl or Curve;
    - You need a recent compatible BlackBerry operating system such as T-Mobile OS (if you install T-Mobile BlackBerry OS on a Rogers BlackBerry, don't forget to delete the VENDOR.XML file and relaunch BlackBerry Desktop.)
    - You can only do WAP browsing, not HTML browsing.
    The main advantage of using BlackBerry WAP Browser, is WAP access and the ability to download third party software wirelessly, which is the easiest way to install third party software on a BlackBerry. Opera Mini should be used for full HTML browsing.
  • Q: My Google Maps works but my IM+ or JiveTalk chat software do not work!
    A: This is usually because it's trying to login through the BlackBerry network instead of through generic Internet data (TCP/IP through the APN). You need to configure your software's Settings to connect to the Internet using "TCP/IP" instead of "BIS". Instructions on how to configure third party software, can vary from program to program. In JiveTalk, this means go into "Preferences", scroll to bottom, and changing the "Transport" setting to "TCP" instead of "BIS". The BIS connection only works when you are subscribed to full BlackBerry service, so you must make sure the third party software are using generic TCP/IP instead.
  • Q: I downgraded my BlackBerry plan to a non-BlackBerry plan. My 3rd party apps stopped working!
    There are many reasons why this may be happening. Here is a checklist:
    - Verify that you really do have a generic data plan on your account.
    - Your carrier is replacing certain generic data plans. For example, the Rogers Navigate data plan is being superseded by the Rogers VISION plan. Verify that your carrier didn't remove a discontinued data plan from your account.
    - Make sure you have a lowercase "edge" / "gprs" displayed near your reception bars in the main BlackBerry screen, and you have good reception.
    - Make sure you are running BlackBerry OS 4.1 or later (Options -> About)
    - Make sure your APN is configured properly. (Options -> Advanced -> TCP -> APN)
    - Ignore the "Data Connection Refused" message.
    - Verify your software (IM+ / JiveTalk) is configured to "TCP/IP" instead of "BIS"
    - Reinstall your third party software (i.e. Opera Mini) if reconfiguring its Internet connection does not work.
    - Not all third party software function with generic data (i.e. RIM Google Talk won't work), replace with compatible software (i.e. replace RIM Google Talk with JiveTalk instead).
    - Reboot your BlackBerry after changing plans and reconfiguring settings. (Remove and reinsert battery after saving new settings)
    - Use Opera Mini instead of BlackBerry Browser.
    - If all else fails, upgrade your BlackBerry to the latest OS version by another carrier such as T-Mobile (some people report T-Mobile BlackBerry operating systems work much better with generic data)

unwritten 11-01-2007 11:35 AM

Gmail on Blackberry Curve 8300

can i set my gmail software so its configured to "TCP/IP" instead of "BIS"?

JessicaMC 11-03-2007 01:15 PM

unblocked 7290

Can I put my t-mobile prepaid Sim card in an unblocked 7290 blackberry? If i can what won't i be able to acess? (like email or the web).

Thanks so much
Jess

diggnation 11-19-2007 03:14 AM

Hey, Does the AT&T settings still work?

Is it still legal or will they charge me when I look at my receipt.

rizzaj 11-21-2007 11:11 AM

I just noticed online that gmail mobile 1.5 was released. does anyone have a way that we could install it on our blackberrys without a blackberry data plan? It says that is uses less data and it shows the bandwidth usage when loading

Thanks

hybridlab 11-22-2007 09:32 AM

I noticed the other day that the Rogers "Do More" icon and the Rogers WAP browser icons appeared on my 8100, even though i currently do not subscribe to any Rogers data plan.

And they work.

I was even able to download the Gmail application over the air and get it running.

Am i even supposed to be able to do this without a BlackBerry or wireless data plan? If i don't have a data plan, what are the data usage charges?

hybridlab 11-23-2007 02:01 AM

Hmm. Yesterday may have been an anomaly. I'm no longer able to access the network using the "Do More" app, the Rogers WAP browser or the Gmail app. :(

jdbertrand 11-26-2007 01:57 PM

You can't have the best of both worlds... according to Rogers

Hi Everyone,

I just finished talking to a Rogers Rep on the phone.
I had the 4MB/25$ plan plus a 10MB/10$ plan. This would have covered both bases for me. Using TCP direct for stuff like Opera and JiveTalk and still getting PushEmail ability.

Well when I added the 10MB plan on my already blackberry plan, the system concluded I specifically wanted to change and not just add the plan on to the existing one. (Even if it is listed in the Wireless Essentials and not part of a plan) Hence when my 10MB plan kicked-in, I noticed that my indicator on my Curve changed from "EDGE" to "gsm", back to "edge" and stayed like that. At that point no more emails were coming in via BB. I tried sending service books and such. I was searching like crazy when I decided to login to my profile on the Rogers website. I saw that my 4MB BB Data plan was gone, only to be left with my Internet Mobile plan.

Not happy about it, I phoned up Rogers Customer Service and
the guy at Rogers told me that the system does not allow me to have both.
I have to choose which world I want to be in.

So since I benefit more from BES/BB Data Sync via Exchange than the standard internet - I am back on my BB plan.
Sad, they got me pegged I guess.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

jdb

MissKalunji 12-01-2007 09:47 PM

i had a gmail app when i had my Bb connect but now whenever it ry to log in it keeps tell me that i need a data plan when i have to regular internet plan

LordMeroving 12-19-2007 08:10 PM

Just came across this..promising.

Specifically regarding Sprint, how would this work? I have a new 8130 that i fondly caress every now and then but i don't wan't to sacrifice the $10 EVDO vision service i have now on my Treo for a $30 BIS plan, no way.

Any specific instructions as to how to configure this for Sprint? Much appreciated.

Mark Rejhon 12-19-2007 09:22 PM

Unfortunately, it wouldn't apply to Sprint, because they are CDMA.

The instructions only apply to GSM providers. Just so you know!

Mark Rejhon 12-19-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKalunji (Post 759761)
i had a gmail app when i had my Bb connect but now whenever it ry to log in it keeps tell me that i need a data plan when i have to regular internet plan

It's because it's routing over BIS. You need to erase its preferences store, or uninstall-reinstall. Then it'll automatically detect networking again, and route over TCP/IP instead of BIS.

Erjavec 12-20-2007 02:07 AM

A small correction

Hi

Mark, you say "BlackBerry-branded web browser won't work" on a normal plan, which is sort-of correct, but it is important for new 8320 users to know that it will work, if you're in range of WiFI...

That's how I got my device set - bought unlocked Curve, logged on to WiFi and installed all applications I needed... Now everything works either thru WiFI (BB-browser), or GPRS (Opera).

best,
Danny

holygarsh 12-23-2007 04:35 PM

I was wondering if anyone has used this method on AT&T. I was wondering if the data plan I would need would be the MEdia Net ($5 for 1MB!) or the SmartPhone plans ($10 for 5MB/$20 for Unlimited). Is this all counted as the same data? The SmartPhone plans say they are for "Windows Mobile" phones only but do they really know the difference?

JSanders 12-23-2007 04:53 PM

I bet there is a reason it says for Windows Mobile phones.

holygarsh 12-23-2007 05:02 PM

Yeah, I'm really not sure though... the text reads:

"Smartphone Connect Data plans are applicable on Windows Mobile Smartphone devices only, which are the Cingular 2125, Audiovox SMT5600, and Motorola MPx 220.

With the SmartPhone Connect 5MB package ($0.01 KB overage), you can browse the internet from your wireless SmartPhone handset. Put your relevant categories and headlines right on your home page, and spend less time looking for important information such as current news, weather, travel information.

Check CNN, The Weather Channel, etc.. You can also check e-mail, send/receive instant messages and photos. Plus, you only pay for the amount of data you send and receive, not the time you use the service."

the Unlimited is a bit different it also includes xpress mail:

"Smartphone Connect Data plans are applicable on Windows Mobile Smartphone devices only, which are the Cingular 2125, Audiovox SMT5600, and Motorola MPx 220.

With the SmartPhone Connect Unlimited plan with Express Mail, you can browse the internet from your wireless SmartPhone handset. Put your relevant categories and headlines right on your home page, and spend less time looking for important information such as current news, weather, travel information. Check CNN, The Weather Channel, etc..

You can also check e-mail, send/receive instant messages and photos. Plus, you only pay for the amount of data you send and receive, not the time you use the service. And with the Smartphone Connect Unlimited feature, all your data usage is included.

With Smartphone Connect Unlimited you get Xpress Mail included which allows you to setup your personal email, such as Yahoo, AOL, or Earthlink, right on your device in just a few clicks. The 13 most popular ISP and personal email accounts are pre-loaded on the device for quick and easy setup.

Just enter your mobile number, choose your provider and enter your user name and password to view your personal email. Additionally Xpress Mail allows users to access corporate email and other data, such as Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Notes, with an online self service wizard. Users can activate their account at http://xpressmailpe.wireless.att.com."

The descriptions are pretty vague. The description for the MEdia Net account is pretty much equally vague. "A world of information at your fingertips blah blah"

adi_V 12-23-2007 10:26 PM

Help

okay.. heres the jist..
i bought a vodafone handset.. unlocked it and am trying to use my 3 simcard which has a dataplan on it already.
now.. i've installed opera and have changed the apn according to what was requested of my provider.

when i start up opera.. it states that it cannont make an internet connection and to SEEK SOME FREEKIN' HELP!

im trying to connect over the edge network.. is there some other settings which i need to set/ enable or whatever..
anyhelp would be welcomed.. =]
btw, my previous vodafone plan did not include the dataplan.. and fone does not have wi-fi.

adi_V 12-26-2007 06:46 PM

please.. if there is anyone that can help me with the problem above:cry:

djak 02-07-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon (Post 690327)
Q: Can I do this on CDMA?
A: It's a little more tricky if your device does not have a SIM card slot. This FAQ mainly covers GSM BlackBerry models.

I'm not sure i understand why its more tricky if the phone doesn't use a SIM card. Could i not cancel my BB data&email on my CDMA Pearl, and switch to a generic data plan, like the Unlimited Mobile Data package offered by Bell Canada?

MrTelephoneMan13 02-28-2008 05:01 PM

Quick question for some of you BES admins. If a user has 'pending messages' sitting on the server; how can you push those messages to their BB device?

JonMS 03-03-2008 07:18 PM

I got a question.
I recently bought a blackbery curve and actually had the block my BB Data so I would not get charged...... If I use Opera Mini on my phone will I still be charged by rogers for using data ? Or how does it work what will rogers charge me for overall using it?
I don't want to get a bill that is nasty big.

Scott Semple 03-21-2008 08:46 PM

Doesn't Work (I think)

I tried to do this with my girlfriend's SIM in my phone before committing to canceling my BB service, switching to a generic plan, and then possibly having to switch back.

Rogers currently offers unlimited generic data for $7 per month. I set that up on my girlfriend's phone, put her SIM into my BB, reset the APN to "internet.com" and re-booted by removing the battery.

"Data connection refused."

I called Rogers to see if they could change the APN on the account, and they told me that they have no control over it; that it's controlled by Blackberry servers.

So... does this really work or not? Is there anyone who has successfully got it working? Anything I'm missing?

Regards,
Scott

a.petrov 03-25-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon (Post 713554)
I just got reports that Consilent push mail works on a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry plan. It's a 3rd party mail client, that apparently supports installation on BlackBerry, and does not require a BlackBerry plan.
Consilent.com -
Free Mobile Push Email - Consilient Push

thank you for the link.

when i go through the registration just before download it says device not supported. i am offered to choose, but 8800 series is not there :-(

which one should work? 8700, 8100...?

piper 03-26-2008 04:19 PM

Did you try browsing with the WAP browser or using any applications? I have that plan and it works for me. The data connection refused thing probably just means the blackberry data connection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Semple (Post 865887)
I tried to do this with my girlfriend's SIM in my phone before committing to canceling my BB service, switching to a generic plan, and then possibly having to switch back.

Rogers currently offers unlimited generic data for $7 per month. I set that up on my girlfriend's phone, put her SIM into my BB, reset the APN to "internet.com" and re-booted by removing the battery.

"Data connection refused."

I called Rogers to see if they could change the APN on the account, and they told me that they have no control over it; that it's controlled by Blackberry servers.

So... does this really work or not? Is there anyone who has successfully got it working? Anything I'm missing?

Regards,
Scott

John Clark 03-26-2008 06:05 PM

Yes, Data connection refused just means there is no Blackberry specific data plan on the account. TCP data may still work, though, but you'll need a 3rd party browser like Opera Mini since the service books from RIM are required for using the OEM browser. No BB data plan-no Service Books.

ArmyGeorge 03-31-2008 08:48 PM

Any follow up to this working with AT&T 8310's?

SilverGS 04-02-2008 01:22 PM

This is an excellent article! Huge thanks to Mark Rejhon for putting it together!!! :thumbup:

I have a Treo 680 and am paying for the outrageous $40/month data plan with Rogers and reading your post has prompted me to cancel my data plan immediately.

So, now I have two questions:
- What is the best place you BB veterans recommend I buy a BB? I want to get the Curve but don't want to buy it from Rogers (unless ofcourse you guys think I should)
- Has anyone on here been successfull in getting a Curve on a non-BB plan to work with unlimited mobile browsing package that Rogers have on their non-BB phones (the $7/month addon to voice plan)?

NickfromIL 04-02-2008 01:27 PM

The "Windows Mobile" plan may work the same as a "Generic" plan as listed in the OP. AT&T does offer a Blackberry data plan, I believe it is $30 for unlimited.

Sam1972 04-20-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonMS (Post 858420)
I got a question.
I recently bought a blackbery curve and actually had the block my BB Data so I would not get charged...... If I use Opera Mini on my phone will I still be charged by rogers for using data ? Or how does it work what will rogers charge me for overall using it?
I don't want to get a bill that is nasty big.

Hi,

I did post that I was able to succeed with this using Rogers. I did post a more details on the link: http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...on-loader.html

There are a few things to remember. You need a data plan - or you may be charged per KB that is used. I got the new $7 unlimited data plan with Rogers, along with my 25 Mega Incoming, and communicate pack - I changed it from my BB DP $55 + communicate.

You need to remember you need to have Opera Mini installed, and set your APN. I also noticed since I upgraded my handset software to 4.2.107, I am able to use Rogers WAP browser - the BB browser has disappeared (which was expected).

I have even tried brining up a page to do a OTA, and it asks me if to download - have not tested it past that so far. It works great, absolutely no problems - I have Google Maps Mobile, GMAIL Mobile, and Google Calendar Sync running and working without any problems. Let me know, I can give you some more details if you need - but read my post, linked above.

Remember to do a battery pull, and have the latest Handheld software and DM software - makes a difference.

I would take it easy for the 1st month or 2 on your new data plan, and see what charges are being laid.

dougdoug99 04-26-2008 10:40 PM

Just a question - I read some people were able to access bb browser with Rogers Vision..

I have the $65/1GB plan and I am able to use the browser on my curve. Its called "WAP browser (rogers)". Does this mean I can actually use the rim browser?

I have opera and everything else working through internet.com APN.

neftv 08-06-2008 04:47 PM

I wanted to ask a question differently.
I am on AT&T. Does blackberry personal plan require it be behind a Nat firewall (proxy) via WAP on a Blackberry 8310? I was wondering because I would rather have a direct connection to the internet via ISP.
Calling AT&T is no help. I get the scripted answer you have a Blackberry you must have the BBpersonal plan and WAP comes with it. They don't answer the question.
Again, I want to keep my BBpersonal plan but I don't want to be behind a proxy nat firewall called WAP. I believe the other way is ISP. Can it be done and how?

Mark Rejhon 08-08-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neftv (Post 1049207)
I wanted to ask a question differently.
I am on AT&T. Does blackberry personal plan require it be behind a Nat firewall (proxy) via WAP on a Blackberry 8310? I was wondering because I would rather have a direct connection to the internet via ISP.
Calling AT&T is no help. I get the scripted answer you have a Blackberry you must have the BBpersonal plan and WAP comes with it. They don't answer the question.
Again, I want to keep my BBpersonal plan but I don't want to be behind a proxy nat firewall called WAP. I believe the other way is ISP. Can it be done and how?

This is all confusing terminology mess -- I think you got things mixed up.

The only case where this does not apply is BlackBerry plans where generic data is restricted (i.e. blocking Opera Mini, Google Maps, Jivetalk chat, etc), often the cheap $10 or $15 BlackBerry email-only plans that some carriers sells.

Most normal BlackBerry plans are supersets of generic data plans. BlackBerry plans include two ISP's in one essentially -- both the blackberry.net (often proxied) and internet.com (not proxied). You can use both BlackBerry Browser (using blackberry.net) and Opera Mini Browser (using generic APN). Two APN's are included -- both the blackberry APN and the generic data APN -- so you get two ISP's in one when you get a BlackBerry plan.

Modern BlackBerry plans are not more limiting, they just simply include access to the BlackBerry network IN ADDITION to regular data. Even though there may be certain limits on the BlackBerry network, you still ALSO have access to generic data too.

That's why people have been successfully using SIM cards with BlackBerry plans, in iPhones, TyTN's, TREO's, Aircards, and other devices. A modern BlackBerry plan is simply a superset of a generic data plan. Such BlackBerry plans with 100% unrestricted range from $20 to $50 in the United States, or the new Rogers 6gigabyte/$30 plan in Canada, etc.

neftv 08-08-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon (Post 1051797)
This is all confusing terminology mess -- I think you got things mixed up.

The only case where this does not apply is BlackBerry plans where generic data is restricted (i.e. blocking Opera Mini, Google Maps, Jivetalk chat, etc), often the cheap $10 or $15 BlackBerry email-only plans that some carriers sells.

Most normal BlackBerry plans are supersets of generic data plans. BlackBerry plans include two ISP's in one essentially -- both the blackberry.net (often proxied) and internet.com (not proxied). You can use both BlackBerry Browser (using blackberry.net) and Opera Mini Browser (using generic APN). Two APN's are included -- both the blackberry APN and the generic data APN -- so you get two ISP's in one when you get a BlackBerry plan.

Modern BlackBerry plans are not more limiting, they just simply include access to the BlackBerry network IN ADDITION to regular data. Even though there may be certain limits on the BlackBerry network, you still ALSO have access to generic data too.

That's why people have been successfully using SIM cards with BlackBerry plans, in iPhones, TyTN's, TREO's, Aircards, and other devices. A modern BlackBerry plan is simply a superset of a generic data plan. Such BlackBerry plans with 100% unrestricted range from $20 to $50 in the United States, or the new Rogers 6gigabyte/$30 plan in Canada, etc.

Then so that I understand. Specific to AT&T Blackberry.net is the access to email and Blackberry Browser and everything else goes via the APN which is wap.cingular for me. It is my understanding that wap.cingular is simply a proxy nat firewall and I was merely asking if it is possible to have a more direct connection to the internet for the 3rd party applications? Explains why Minuet Browser does not work which is what I wanted to try as an alternative to Opera mini.

Mark Rejhon 08-08-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neftv (Post 1051851)
Then so that I understand. Specific to AT&T Blackberry.net is the access to email and Blackberry Browser and everything else goes via the APN which is wap.cingular for me. It is my understanding that wap.cingular is simply a proxy nat firewall and I was merely asking if it is possible to have a more direct connection to the internet for the 3rd party applications? Explains why Minuet Browser does not work which is what I wanted to try as an alternative to Opera mini.

AT&T is kind of a weird carrier out of the mix. You need to purchase tethering if you're with AT&T. So in addition to a BB Personal plan, you also need to purchase a Tethering plan, to get access to the additional APN's.

Then you get access to isp.cingular (basically three ISP's -- wap.cingular, isp.cingular, blackberry.net). The tethering plan would allow you to use "isp.cingular" inside your BlackBerry, even if you never use tethering. No port blocking or proxying on that one.

But even wap.cingular isn't very restrictive, if you just want in-device Internet. wap.cingular still provides full HTML browsing (either BB Browser or Opera Mini), full maps (GPS, Google Maps, Garmin Mobile, etc), full chat (MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, etc), including the ones requiring TCP/IP access. It's just that there are certain limitations, such as no tethering. So it's really not a proxy, you can use direct HTML if need be, just you can't tether.

However, if you dislike this, switch to T-Mobile instead, or another carrier where the restrictions aren't happening.

I really don't understand what your exact needs are -- if all you need is full HTML browsing if using a third party browser such as Opera Mini, you only need wap.cingular (the "WAP" name in wap.cingular is somewhat deceiving here, it's not THAT limited.)

But if you want to use BitTorrent and play Second Life or Unreal Tournament deathmatch videogames, or Grand Theft Auto multiplayer on a laptop, do definitely get the Tethering plan. Also if you need a VPN so you can function with incoming data (i.e. run servers on your cellphones or incoming connections), then you pratically need the isp.cingular, which would be far more VPN-friendly than wap.cinguar.

But if your networking needs aren't that extreme, wap.cingular is perfectly fine and that's the way it works on Cingulars' other phones, not just BlackBerries, same restrictions, not BlackBerry specific.

It all depends on how much networking goodness you wanted... If you are still unsure how much networking capabilities you need, you might wish to post in HowardForums for AT&T-specific questions, they help Cingular/AT&T questions better than AT&T's forums and BlackBerryForums. This thread isn't supposed to become an AT&T thread :-)

neftv 08-08-2008 04:36 PM

I wasn't really intending to make it a AT&T thread. Thanks for the info. Still Minuet Browser wont work on AT&T I guess. I will go to the forum you suggest. Thanks again.

arn822000 09-24-2008 02:24 AM

Hi,

I am making an application which requires me to provide an option to connect using BIS but I am not sure how to get application approval for this. i have searched in the net but I haven't been able to gather the information for this. Could anybody help me in this regards.

Regards,

Globaluser.

Sergio Mauricio Muñoz 09-26-2008 04:21 PM

Hey everyone, can someone help me? i need to change my tmobile configuration to any other service provider. For ex. how do i do if i want to change my blackberry from t-mobile to veryzon.

John Clark 09-26-2008 04:23 PM

You can't change your blackberry from TMobile to Verizon. TMobile is GSM and Verizon is CDMA. Two totally different network technologies and the hardware in the devices isn't compatible.

anworm 10-15-2008 06:44 AM

BlackBerry Browser (OTA download) without BIS/BES

another way to user blackberry Browser for OTA without have BIS/BES data plan.

hxxp://sites.google.com/site/blackberrywithoutbisbes/

sorry i cant post direct link now.

neogen 12-09-2008 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anworm (Post 1136956)

Excellent..:smile:(y)

I am able to use browser without BIS / BES.. on my 8300

Looking for a good third party email client that can use handset's address book..

Tried Tiggitmail, but not very thrilled with this application.. is there any alternate..

warreng24 12-12-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anworm (Post 1136956)

I didn't even need to install any service books and I am able to use the native Blackberry Browser! Nor did I need to follow the instructions outlined in the link above.

I am not connected to a BIS or BES. Just edge. Lowercase edge to indicate that it is not a Blackberry Data Plan.

I am an AT&T Wireless (aka "Blue," pre-Cingular merger) customer with an unlimited data plan.

All I've done so far is acquire an Unlocked 8800, wiped it using JL_Cmder, upgraded to Rogers 4.5.0.81 OS, and removed any IT policy using JL_Cmder.

I've also installed Opera Mini, expecting to only be able to use that. But, today I accidently clicked on the native Blackberry browser and I was able to browse the web!

The browser defaults to the AT&T Wireless mMode web, but I can direct the browser to any website!

Anyone have any idea why I am able to use the native Blackberry browser?

ZeroMidget 12-23-2008 05:25 PM

So will this work with nextel?

twsted 02-15-2009 11:39 PM

If you want to install OperaMini, Gmail, or GoogleMaps on your Blackberry through non-OTA, use the Desktop Manager with these files (don't forget to unzip):

rapidshare.com/files/178923988/GoogleMail_2.0.6_for_BB.zip
rapidshare.com/files/178922832/Google_Maps_2.3.2_for_BB.zip
rapidshare.com/files/178924186/Opera_Mini_4.2_for_BB.zip

albertomolteni 03-14-2009 04:30 PM

Just wanted to thank the OP, works beautifully with my Bold and Vox.lu
I'm on a xxx8364;10/600MB monthly contract (y)

Curtmaster 04-25-2009 01:11 PM

Hey guys I have a blackberry 8700c and i've tried to get installing opera and fixing the apn settings and still no browser working, do I need to have a data plan first before trying to set up the internet ?

Crankman 07-26-2009 08:58 AM

First, im a brand new Blackberry owner...(bought it from a friend)Pearl 8110

Been Reading the thread before calling ROGERS CANADA..
I know this thread started in 2007 but i dont see on rogers a data plan for less then 15$...(maybe it was 5$ before)....im wrong???

So if i take a 15$ plan, would i be able to surf the web with Opera browser for free(mean no extra charge)?

Would i be able to use many apps for free?

Thanks, just trying to avoid all the extra cost...

John Clark 07-26-2009 09:02 AM

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

You *might* be able to get Opera to work using this method. However, most apps won't work. There are a few that may work but it depends on the app. Its hit and miss. A BB really needs the data plan if you want to do more than phone, sms, and organizer.

16barz 08-09-2009 07:46 AM

blackberry 8800 without data plan

hi i was wondering if you could help me on my question on my blackbery8800...i was wondering would my blackberry8800 work in another country without a data plan??

nobody7290 08-09-2009 12:06 PM

If it currently works, it should work in a different country too ( if GPRS/EDGE is availible there).
But careful: check the data roaming charges before they comsume your entire bank account !
1MB = Euro 9 is "normal" in Europe.
Also, data is accounted in different chunks. Some provider migt charge a minimum + for every used 100KB, others charge in 10kb chunks. As soon as you disconnect and connect, the minimum amount + the smallest chunk is charged.
A disconnect and connect might happen even without notice if you travel in a car or train.

16barz 08-10-2009 06:13 PM

thankx for the reply but wat i meant was i currently have a blackberry dat i purchased on e-bay but i currently dont seem to be able to make calls or surf the net on it, and when i try to make a call it tries to dial then hangs up.i must also mesion dat GPRS is also displayed next to the reception bars which also shows a good reception. i have done some research and it seem the blackbery deosnt seem to have a data plan or some sort, henc the above question..any ideas wud be helpfull. thankx

nobody7290 08-10-2009 06:21 PM

If there is a Simlock on the device, it should display an error message "invalid sim". But since you cannot place a call, this looks like some kind of lock.
If you cannot make a call, you never will get access to data.
Have you tried to erase the device ?
options, security options, general options, klick left, erase smartphone.

ali_shk 08-14-2009 02:22 AM

HI GUYS
i am trying to use wap on my blackberry 8310 it won't work!!
also where can i enter the proxy and port number....
plz i need help
thanks in advance

calinutzz 09-18-2009 04:48 AM

man, thanks alot for all this !!!

sosofly 11-04-2009 01:34 PM

Don't know if anyone still replies to this thread, but for some reason I used to have a generic data plan and rogers did something and now they added it back on but for some reason I cant access the internet =(

I've changed the APN settings to internet.com, did the battery pull and my OS is higher than 4.0. A long message keeps popping up that "ive attempted to use a smart phone, and will need to buy a data plan for 2.99.... etc."

Is there anyway to bypass this message and use my internet/WAP like before?

paulwiggins 01-07-2010 08:02 PM

THank you very very very much.

bryce772826498 02-04-2010 10:13 PM

i keep getting the error that it needs protocol stacks when i use the service books from anworm, how do i fix that???
im using a 7100t and opera mini and ramble im work/

sacrone 03-28-2010 08:45 PM

hey, i already started a thread about this, but mabe i should of posted here first...
I was wondering what will i not be able to do with a non data plan that i could do with a data plan.

ahashi20 05-06-2010 03:49 PM

Google Maps on my Brackbrry

I have an unlocked BB8820, and I am using sidekick plan of T-mobile.
Opera mini and all others works perfectly; however, the Google maps.
The version of Google Maps is 4.0.1. It will give me a error message saying,

"Network Unavailable: This application requires a date connection, and some BlackBerry devices require reconfiguration to work properly. Please visit google map on your computer for more info."

Is there anything I can do?
Please help me.

naludz 06-03-2010 11:58 PM

hi

will you help me.. i have curve 8900 and when i open my ym messenger its telling me that data services unavailable?

what do i need to do?

pls help !!

GW_xo 06-23-2010 01:23 PM

hiya i recently brought my sisters old blackberry 8110 wich was on contract, i have now put my o2 text and web sim card in but it says it is unable to connect to the internet. So i transfered opera mini 4 and 5 to my phone, they will not properly install as it says unable to connect to the internet. does anyone know why this is or how i could sort it out? also if there are any other browsers like opera mini that i could try on my phone i would be more than grateful!! thanks

torinate 07-16-2010 12:21 PM

Curious...

I'd like to give my old Pearl to my wife - who has a regular cell plan with Rogers. But, she won't use the internet much so I don't really want to add a whole BB plan. But, I would add the WAP plan if I could.
Can this be done? I think thats what i'm reading...

Can she text and use the phone as normal?

Thanks everyone!

Torinate

pastorz 12-14-2010 01:49 PM

Re: HOWTO: Use BlackBerry on Generic NON-BlackBerry Data Plan

(y)Cool! Thanks for the heads-up!

qazqazwsxwsxedcedc 02-20-2011 02:50 AM

I have blackberry 8100 , i have non smart phone data( generic data) plan from fido in canada. i did everything, whtever its discribed in above article but still i cant access to internet with this plan on my blackberry pearl 8100 using 3rd party browser operamini, can u explan me how can do it, thanxs in advance

cuto 11-10-2011 11:30 AM

Is there a new list of apps that can be used on a generic data plan?

dc/dc 11-13-2011 05:51 AM

Most apps written for BlackBerry these days are meant to be used with BlackBerry data plans. This is the way that RIM designed their devices to be used, and many carriers also automatically move users of BlackBerry devices onto BlackBerry data plans in order to eliminate any confusion or breaks in service.

dc/dc 06-21-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephiebrowns (Post 1780649)
As per my thinking it will work. This FAQ was designed originally for the Rogers network

It used to work on almost all GSM-based carriers, but it is basically obsolete now.

silindile 03-08-2014 12:26 PM

How can I installed blackberry walrd in my blackberry 8520
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Lactobacillus 05-19-2018 10:40 PM

This Q&A contains bad advice.

BB Browser never needed a BB data plan. What it needed was correct ISP APN settings embedded into BBOS. Generic data plan users had to modify the APN settings in a text file on their PC, and upload the edit to the BB over USB cable as part of an OS update (there was a BB desktop application for this). Of course modifying the settings were unsupported but they worked (for me, and I was following an online tutorial). Opera Mini still did a better job of rendering webpages but it could not download files. I think my BBOS4.x phones were setup to receive email in the same way, but I was using the Gmail app for other reasons.

BBM has not needed a BB data plan since it was ported to Android (i.e. made available to non-BB phones).

John Clark 05-19-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lactobacillus (Post 1819999)
This Q&A has not been true for many years.

BB Browser never needed a BB data plan. What it needed was correct APN settings for the ISP. Generic data plan required users to modify the APN settings in a text file and upload the edit to the BB over USB cable as part of an OS update. Of course this was unsupported but it worked. Opera Mini still did a better job of rendering webpages so there was little benefit to this.

BBM has not needed a BB data plan since it was ported to Android (i.e. made available to non-BB phones).

Seriously? The last post to this thread was over four years ago and the thread was started 11 years ago. Not much more needs to be added. And, for the record, BBM did not need a data plan once it was running on BB10.

NJBlackBerry 05-20-2018 07:58 AM

Looks like someone here likes to hear his/her own voice.
Guess we have to close all 4 year old threads.