BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Moto X Coming Tomorrow (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=265580)

fourstringfuror 11-25-2013 04:07 PM

Moto X Coming Tomorrow

Picked up a free Moto X through my employer. Should be here tomorrow.

This will be my first experience with Android OS, side loading and ported apps excluded. I know it's a low-end device, but it's free. It will be a toy for me; nothing more.

fourstringfuror 11-26-2013 05:32 PM

Re: Moto X Coming Tomorrow

First impressions:

Despite its smaller dimensions - it's shorter and thinner than my Z10 - the screen is significantly larger.

The soft touch plastic on the back is comfortable.

It's been running software updates for over 30 minutes, and is still only 60% complete. Must be a big update. The phone is getting hot.

I'm not heavily involved in the Google world, so much of this phone is foreign to me.

App gap? Stopped. I can load up hundreds of apps on this if I want to.

fourstringfuror 11-26-2013 05:40 PM

First app I installed - BBM.

dc/dc 11-27-2013 07:16 AM

In all honesty, you really only need Google to download apps. You can turn off mail sync, etc. if you use something else for e-mail. That's what I did with my HTC One.

fourstringfuror 11-27-2013 11:09 AM

That's the idea - this phone will be a toy, and a way to play with all the apps that people tell me my BlackBerry needs.

I wanted a Q10, but they still want $200 for it, so I had to pass.

fourstringfuror 12-05-2013 07:12 PM

After a week or so with the Moto X, I've been impressed by how quickly and smoothly most apps launch and run. I am ordering Christmas presents on Amazon, and the app on the Moto is instantly responsive. Makes ordering and tracking a breeze. Battery life is much, much better than my Z10, though I am running the .1055 leak, so it's not going to be good anyway.

However, I find myself playing on the Moto for a few minutes, chatting on BBM with one or two people with my second BBID (people who already on my other BBM list), and then putting it away. My BlackBerry, warts and all, just seems to work better for what I want. I can't see myself using the Moto for more than a day or two before getting frustrated. I hate that I have to launch an app to check my email, for example (Outlook.com), and I hate that Google products are so utterly and thoroughly baked into the Android platform. I knew that going in, of course, but they're almost impossible to get around sometimes.

dc/dc 12-25-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien90 (Post 1810318)
the moto G comme out, I am interested by this phone, it don't have a very big screen and have a good HD resolution for an excelent price

LOL. (n)

ZombieBerry 12-25-2013 10:41 AM

Christmas Spam?

dc/dc 12-25-2013 07:51 PM

There we go! Now you've got your spam up. Hopefully you'll be banned soon.

NJBlackBerry 12-25-2013 08:21 PM

*Poof*

fourstringfuror 12-30-2013 05:15 PM

In other news, I haven't picked up my Moto X in a week. Aside from its excellent battery life, I've found little use for it lately.

fourstringfuror 02-04-2014 02:46 PM

Gratuitous bump. Not much has changed since the last update. I did take some nice pictures with it when I was on the ferry a few weeks ago, but I don't have much use the it otherwise.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile