BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

test54 02-25-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1298368)
You must Chinese they dont want Christianity taught either.

That is a common misconception that was true in the past but Christianity is spreading throughout China as the Government has been open to religions for decades.

test54 02-25-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1298422)
Riff if you want the information find it. I am sure you have google. You say it my opinion well so was Darwins and I am as qualified as he was at the time. As a matter of fact I am more qualified I have more than one degree.

The thought of dawg being more qualified than Darwin made my morning, thanks. :razz:

Dawg 02-25-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1298437)
That is a common misconception that was true in the past but Christianity is spreading throughout China as the Government has been open to religions for decades.

You couldnt be more wrong. My church had to sneak their Bibles in as food because the Chinese government wouldnt allow them In. Wheh the preachers tried to get in they had to go in as School teachers because again the government wouldnt let them come in as preachers.

We have sent over 90 mission trips to China and I can tell you from experience that it isnt allowed. I have been involved first hand.

mriff 02-25-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Riff if you want the information find it. I am sure you have google. You say it my opinion well so was Darwins and I am as qualified as he was at the time. As a matter of fact I am more qualified I have more than one degree.

delusion
–noun 1. an act or instance of deluding.
2. the state of being deluded.
3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.
4. Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.

If you think you are as qualified, then please read the following:

Amazon.com: Charles Darwin: The Power of Place: Janet Browne: Books
Amazon.com: Charles Darwin: Voyaging: Janet Browne: Books

djm2 02-25-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1298368)
wow, you really are close minded aren't you. Does this mean you dont hire people who have gone to Christian University's? Sure sounds like that to me. You must Chinese they dont want Christianity taught either.

Well that depends. I have hired dozens of people who have attended what I would define as a Christian university. However, I suspect that you would consider that University -- quite well respected -- to be heathen. After all, it is affiliated with the Catholic church, and you have made your opinions about that quite clear.

test54 02-25-2009 09:21 AM

I have several friends in China who teach and although the churches are mainly underground, they are growing fast. If the government really wanted to stop it, they could. Look back to the Soviets in the 50's and 60's and you will see that a government can stop religion if it dedicates itself to doing it.

"They repeat a seemingly shared belief that the time has come to proclaim their place in Chinese society as the world focuses on China and its hosting of the 2008 Olympics, set to begin in August.

"We have nothing to hide," said Jin, a former Communist Party member who broke away from the state church last year to found his Zion Church.

Jin embodies a historic change: After centuries of foreign efforts to implant Christianity in China, today's Christian ascension is led not by missionaries but by evangelical citizens at home. Where Christianity once was confined largely to poor villages, it is now spreading into urban power centers with often tacit approval from the regime.

It reaches into the most influential corners of Chinese life: Intellectuals disillusioned by the 1989 crackdown at Tiananmen Square are placing their loyalty in faith, not politics; tycoons fed up with corruption are seeking an ethical code; and Communist Party members are daring to argue that their faith does not put them at odds with the government.

The boundaries of what is legal and what is not are constantly shifting. A new church or Sunday school, for instance, might be permissible one day and taboo the next, because local officials have broad latitude to interpret laws on religious gatherings.

Overall, though, the government is permitting churches to be more open and active than ever before, signaling a new tolerance of faith in public life. President Hu Jintao even held an unprecedented Politburo "study session" on religion last year, in which he told China's 25 most powerful leaders that "the knowledge and strength of religious people must be mustered to build a prosperous society."

This rise, driven by evangelical Protestants, reflects a wider spiritual awakening in China. As communism fades into today's free-market reality, many Chinese describe a "crisis of faith" and seek solace everywhere from mystical Taoist sects to Bahai temples and Christian megachurches."

Jesus in China: Christianity's rapid rise -- chicagotribune.com
Your Church or former Church's ability to smuggle contraband into China does not constitute the progress of Christianity in China.

Dawg 02-25-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1298452)
delusion
–noun 1. an act or instance of deluding.
2. the state of being deluded.
3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.
4. Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.

If you think you are as qualified, then please read the following:

Amazon.com: Charles Darwin: The Power of Place: Janet Browne: Books
Amazon.com: Charles Darwin: Voyaging: Janet Browne: Books

Come one riff you are smarter than that i said at the time. read the whole sentence before you reply geez.

I give up, you and I are going to be at odds on this till the end of time we will just have to agree to disagree. And I guess when the end comes one of us will know the truth and the other will have a warm residence.

You aren't going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours.

You are right in your mind and I am right in mine.

So I'll leave it at that.

Dawg 02-25-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1298461)
I have several friends in China who teach and although the churches are mainly underground, they are growing fast. If the government really wanted to stop it, they could. Look back to the Soviets in the 50's and 60's and you will see that a government can stop religion if it dedicates itself to doing it.

"They repeat a seemingly shared belief that the time has come to proclaim their place in Chinese society as the world focuses on China and its hosting of the 2008 Olympics, set to begin in August.

"We have nothing to hide," said Jin, a former Communist Party member who broke away from the state church last year to found his Zion Church.

Jin embodies a historic change: After centuries of foreign efforts to implant Christianity in China, today's Christian ascension is led not by missionaries but by evangelical citizens at home. Where Christianity once was confined largely to poor villages, it is now spreading into urban power centers with often tacit approval from the regime.

It reaches into the most influential corners of Chinese life: Intellectuals disillusioned by the 1989 crackdown at Tiananmen Square are placing their loyalty in faith, not politics; tycoons fed up with corruption are seeking an ethical code; and Communist Party members are daring to argue that their faith does not put them at odds with the government.

The boundaries of what is legal and what is not are constantly shifting. A new church or Sunday school, for instance, might be permissible one day and taboo the next, because local officials have broad latitude to interpret laws on religious gatherings.

Overall, though, the government is permitting churches to be more open and active than ever before, signaling a new tolerance of faith in public life. President Hu Jintao even held an unprecedented Politburo "study session" on religion last year, in which he told China's 25 most powerful leaders that "the knowledge and strength of religious people must be mustered to build a prosperous society."

This rise, driven by evangelical Protestants, reflects a wider spiritual awakening in China. As communism fades into today's free-market reality, many Chinese describe a "crisis of faith" and seek solace everywhere from mystical Taoist sects to Bahai temples and Christian megachurches."

Jesus in China: Christianity's rapid rise -- chicagotribune.com
Your Church or former Church's ability to smuggle contraband into China does not constitute the progress of Christianity in China.

Well these Bibles and preachers were going to Bejing, Three of them got arrested at the Airport for having a Bible on them at the time they went through customs. Every bit of coorespondence that we recieved had to be written very carefully because they would be arrested.

And this isnt just my Church this is Churches from acroos the Country. This is a project called The Olympic Bible Project. We have handed out more than 800,000 bibles in every language at the last 9 olympics.

test54 02-25-2009 09:31 AM

Dawg I have no doubt that smuggling things into China is vert tough, but it is again smuggling things into a sovereign country. The rise of Christianity though I think is alive and well in China.

mriff 02-25-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

You say it my opinion well so was Darwins and I am as qualified as he was at the time. As a matter of fact I am more qualified I have more than one degree.

Ok, we'll leave it at that.

Dawg 02-25-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1298480)
Dawg I have no doubt that smuggling things into China is vert tough, but it is again smuggling things into a sovereign country. The rise of Christianity though I think is alive and well in China.

I have no doubt about the rise of Christianity the thirst for knowledge is incredible. But it is illegal to spread the gospel in China as I stated in the first post about it.

test54 02-25-2009 09:41 AM

If by spread you mean to illegally smuggle things into their country, then yes but its also illegal to do that here then as well.

To be a Christian in China is not illegal.

JSanders 02-25-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1298351)
If by chance you ever succeed in getting the pseudo-science of intelligent design taught in any schools, be sure to publicize it widely. Lots of us will want to have that information to be certain that these specially challenged students aren't admitted to reputable universities, or hired by our companies. And that won't qualify as religious discrimination; we are still allowed to use analytical capabilities as a part of admitttance and hiring decisions.

The far liberal left once again shows its fascist tenancies. And to think you can personally kill one's admittance to a university, you really do think quite highly of yourself don't you?

djm2 02-25-2009 10:00 AM

How funny -- now I'm a liberal because I believe in science as opposed to pseudo-science. When you joining the comedy circuit?

Oh, and I am proud to take that stance against pseudo-science!

Dawg 02-25-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1298498)
If by spread you mean to illegally smuggle things into their country, then yes but its also illegal to do that here then as well.

To be a Christian in China is not illegal.

You keep thinking that. If it helps you sleep at night.

Dawg 02-25-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1298528)
How funny -- now I'm a liberal because I believe in science as opposed to pseudo-science. When you joining the comedy circuit?

Oh, and I am proud to take that stance against pseudo-science!

I guess Tim Tebow should have not been let into the UF because I am sure he wasnt taught evolution.

JSanders 02-25-2009 10:18 AM

What did you claim to be recently, libertarian? I don't recall. Eh, you know yourself that the line gets real blurry in there. The fascist element fits your willingness to censor open thought and discussion, though.

test54 02-25-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1298541)
You keep thinking that. If it helps you sleep at night.

I know several openly Christian people teaching in china who neither hide their religion or fear for their Christian friends in China.

test54 02-25-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1298552)
What did you claim to be recently, libertarian? I don't recall. Eh, you know yourself that the line gets real blurry in there. The fascist element fits your willingness to censor open thought and discussion, though.

Dawg is the libertarian.

not sure where you can argue about censoring open thought? I believe that to eliminate evolution form class rooms qualifies as that as well.

JSanders 02-25-2009 10:34 AM

test, read this thread, please please please. I might be mistaken (I always am open to that), but I don't think I have ever advocated that in this thread. You might have assumed that is my position, but you know what means.