BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I want a Touch Screen Pearl! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=190899)

7pants 05-21-2009 03:11 PM

I want a Touch Screen Pearl!

Hello, everyone! I don't post much here but do visit occasionally. I did a search for this, but I didn't see anything so here we go. I was looking at the back of my Pearl today and thought how cool would it be if the Pearl was touch screen? I wonder how well they would sell? I think BB could use the basic design of the Storm and incorporate it into the Pearl. Do away with the keypad, make the screen bigger in its place, and move the send/end escape and menu buttons down. Who's with me? Could it happen?

I know, why not buy a Storm? I like the size of the Pearl a lot. Discuss.

JSanders 05-21-2009 03:33 PM

So a thinner, skinnier Storm?

You can wish!

CO_BBTechie 05-21-2009 03:48 PM

A kinder, gentler Storm... Just a little tropical depression

PowerCell 05-21-2009 04:11 PM

Ad 3G and I'd replace all of my companies Pearls...

skeevecr 05-21-2009 05:52 PM

Interesting idea, but wouldn't you think that the combination of the small size and a touchscreen would compromise data entry and thus email just too much to be acceptable on a blackberry, for all their advances and additions as time goes by that would seem to be a step further than rim would want to go.

kirrinjones 05-21-2009 06:10 PM

Wirelessly posted

The screen size would give issues.

dc/dc 05-21-2009 06:32 PM

And I'd like to have a wife, but that won't be happening soon either.

PowerCell 05-22-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeevecr (Post 1388819)
Interesting idea, but wouldn't you think that the combination of the small size and a touchscreen would compromise data entry and thus email just too much to be acceptable on a blackberry, for all their advances and additions as time goes by that would seem to be a step further than rim would want to go.

I don't think it would be a problem if they retained SureType... which I for one would really prefer over a full QWERTY.

dankarlinski 05-22-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1388848)
And I'd like to have a wife, but that won't be happening soon either.

lol.

id like my ebay items to get here faster and my school to not cost so much too.

i doubt that there will ever be a touchscreen pearl. i say this simply because it would just be too damn small to use properly

skeevecr 05-23-2009 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerCell (Post 1389414)
I don't think it would be a problem if they retained SureType... which I for one would really prefer over a full QWERTY.

The issue you would have is usability, to keep up the speed of typing the keys tend to need to be bigger on a touchscreen compared with a physical keyboard and so either the device would end up having to be bigger or would just be too fiddly to use for most people.

david9962000 05-23-2009 03:51 PM

No! Nothing like a real keyboard, improve it if you want but keep it simple.

akosnitzky 05-24-2009 07:56 PM

The Blackberry Breeze :-)

cakvalasc 05-29-2009 12:11 PM

Id like to see Sprint get a new damn Blackberry!

TheBigNewt 05-29-2009 01:20 PM

If it had only Suretype it could work. When I tried the storm the Suretype screen was the best one to type on for me (I had a pearl then). It could work. No rule that says a touchscreen has to be big.

charlotte007 05-29-2009 01:29 PM

hey everyone

hey, im new to this, can someone give me a hand getting started? how to post etc
thanks xx

ndub33 05-29-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlotte007 (Post 1394564)
hey, im new to this, can someone give me a hand getting started? how to post etc
thanks xx

Welcome to the forums!

Try posting in the New Members section. You will get lots of help there. Thanks.

kmwittko 06-21-2009 05:15 PM

touchscreen pearl

No need to type on the touchscreen, but replacing the mechanical, dirt prone pearl and adding a few functions, such as zooming (changing font size, ...), scrolling (at the borders), ... would be a nice addition!

akosnitzky 06-22-2009 02:36 PM

I am surprised this hasnt come out yet. I assume there a market for it

skeevecr 06-23-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 1394558)
If it had only Suretype it could work. When I tried the storm the Suretype screen was the best one to type on for me (I had a pearl then). It could work. No rule that says a touchscreen has to be big.

A touchscreen pearl would need to at least be wider than a pearl with physical keys though purely due to the relative precision of the two.

skeevecr 06-23-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akosnitzky (Post 1412299)
I am surprised this hasnt come out yet. I assume there a market for it

The issue with something like the pearl is most likely that it is already a bit of a niche market for them and so they are less likely to introduce features that further reduces that niche by pushing up costs.

Just look at the latest pearl, the flip introduced a new form factor, but came in with basic features and a low cost from the carriers and I would be surprised if the next pearl would be a new candybar design or maybe even a slider since they haven't done one of those yet.