BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Porting problem, Sprint CSR says network problem... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=91941)

abbs 08-23-2007 09:56 PM

Porting problem, Sprint CSR says network problem...

I had the 7520 end of contract decided to try the Helio Ocean (Earthlink service, affiliate of Sprint). Great phone but just not there yet compared to BB. Decided to get the Sprint Sero plan, purchased BB 8830 and 8703e tried to port, oops cannot port over an existing Sprint number. So I ported my numbers to a Verizon Razr phone, now I am using Verizon for both numbers on one phone (nam1, nam2). Day later I try to port from Verizon to Sprint and CSR states there is a network problem that will not let the numbers port. I asked if it was a Verizon issue with a number lock down, he stated no. I will check with CSR in the day b/c I know the night crew is pretty lame.

Anyone ever hear of this type of issue with porting?

juwaack68 08-23-2007 09:59 PM

I have heard of issues with provisioning that can delay porting, but for the most part we don't have issues with porting. Not sure how it works with a Sero plan, though, we don't use those.

I port numbers all the time for my end users - from Nextel (which is funny), Cingular, T-Mobile, and VZW.

I agree, though, that the night crew can be a little lackluster.

abbs 08-23-2007 10:08 PM

Yes, I will check in the daytime.

Thanks

abbs 08-24-2007 02:24 PM

So spoke with Porting dept at Sprint. I can't port my number from Verizon b/c it was originally a Sprint number before I got it from Nextel. So sprint can't port over a sprint number??

juwaack68 08-24-2007 09:41 PM

I'd push back on that..... sounds like BS to me.

BallHawk3 08-24-2007 11:36 PM

Being that I used to work for Sprint, believe it or not I've ran into porting problems and activation problems MANY MANY times.

It's very frustrating for the customer and the store rep cause it makes you seem like you dunno what your doing even porting is something we actually don't do in the store, we just call the porting department and submit a request and after that its in the hands of the rep and hopefully he knows what he's doing.

But, your move from nextel to sprint SHOULD have been much easier.

It's some true, somewhat false that you can't port a sprint number into and exisiting sprint number. You actually can, what you can't do is port within the same billing system.

Basically, before they merged, there were Nextel, and there was Sprint (DUH). Two different technologies, two different types of phones iDEN (nextel) and cdma (sprint), two different billing systems. Nextel's system is called Ensamble, Sprint is called P2K (billing systems). After they merged, they decieded to use Ensamble because it made more sense, so slowly they are trying to move everyone over into ensamble. Both systems are still available but the initial goal is to get over everyone into ensamble. Ensamble just isn't 100% supportive of all type of "sprint" accounts (as in a CDMA device) yet as in individual, business, coorporate, coorporate individual, government etc etc. Ensamble is being upgraded to support "sprint" customers (cdma devices), and its happening. P2K will be gone and only CDMA devices can be on P2K. Hope it makes sense so far. But if we can, every new customer that walks in, we are supposed to create them in ensamble if their account type is support in ensamble. You can port from one billing system to the other, however you cannot port within the same billing system.

What do I mean by that? For example, you started off in Nextel so your obviously in Ensemble. Now if you walked into a sprint/nextel store and told them you want a blackberry 8830e (CDMA device). What they should have done was asked if you wanted to keep your number and realized you have Nextel. Because it is the same company, it would have been as simple as an "upgrade" as in everyting stays the same, your account number, the bill you get will be the same as before, basically seemless UNLESS your existing account type (or account type your moving too) doesn't support a CDMA device in ensamble. Basically there would be no need to create a new "sprint" number and do a port, all it really would be would be an equipmet change (and service swap).

However if the account type you wanted to switch to wasn't support with the device. Then they would have to go ahead and create you a "new" (another) account in the P2K system (because it would supported it). That is where they would have created a new sprint number on your new cdma device any then perform the port (because you can only port in from a different billing system).

I hope that made sense, and if it sounded like what happened to you, then maybe i've provided you enough information to correct your problem. Basically cancel your new sprint line, and stick with your current number on nextel (start at step one). Go into a store and make sure they know they are doing, either upgrading you to the CDMA blackberry (if its possible with your account) or create you in the P2K system and them PORT.

If thats not the case, then it could a good chance a rep over the phone REALLY REALLY messed up. In that case your going to have to drill the phones till you get a smart person. Trust me as owning a sprint store, it was frustrating, I've had customers who didn't have their phone work for 5 days only beacuse someone over the phone on the technically side forgot to "activate" or "push" a button in some system of theirs. Its rediculous, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Good look with your problem! Hopefully you get it done soon. I know what your facing.

juroku 08-25-2007 09:58 PM

Well I for one appreciate the explanation on the Enterprise deal. I had no issues porting my number from ATT to Sprint, but I am having issues with tethering. I have been told that this new system may be part of the issue. It seems the phones on the P2K do not have the issues, it is a new 8830. Now I at least have some idea of what that means. I tend to think it is more of an issue than the last CSR I talked to thought as well.

Thanks again for the explanation.

BallHawk3 08-25-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juroku (Post 645432)
Well I for one appreciate the explanation on the Enterprise deal. I had no issues porting my number from ATT to Sprint, but I am having issues with tethering. I have been told that this new system may be part of the issue. It seems the phones on the P2K do not have the issues, it is a new 8830. Now I at least have some idea of what that means. I tend to think it is more of an issue than the last CSR I talked to thought as well.

Thanks again for the explanation.

You shouldn't have that problem. i've activated many bbs in Ensamble and phone as modem work. My guess is that your missing the PAM sock. Have you tried calling technical support?

Yes the "new" sprint system Ensamble is somewhat of the problem because people dunno how to use it. Its far more advance but not simple in a way cause you can do so much. P2K was pretty straight forward, like point and click. You can't mess up unless its called in. Whats a good anology, basically in P2K, you create a new customer, everything is set up and everything works, when you hit done, its literally done, voicemail is rolled in, nights and weekends is rolled it, its idiot proof and you can't make a mistake. Ensamble however, you create a new customer, you must add his minutes, his caller ID, add his voicemail, add him blackberry data, then add phone as modem, etc etc. Many things can go wrong for people not checking the correct things.