BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   error during backup with DM 4.2.2.12 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=99698)

rockinsage 10-12-2007 11:59 AM

error during backup with DM 4.2.2.12

I've been having this problem for a while but can find no answer anywhere...

Whenever I try to backup my BB 8830 using "Backup" under "Backup And Restore" in DM 4.2.2.12, I get an error before the backup completes. It always produces the error when the backup process is partially complete and is attempting to backup my Profiles (Screen says "Receiving Profiles..."). The error is:

"The data was not recognized by the device."

If I go to "Advanced" and try to backup all the device databases manually, same error on Profiles. If I try to backup everything except Profiles, it backs up fine.

I've spent a lot of time on my Profiles and would really like to back them up. :?

Anyone have any ideas?

John Clark 10-12-2007 03:41 PM

There is a corruption in one of your profiles. Unfortunatly, the only way to fix it is to go into the Advanced feature of Backup/Restore and clear the Profiles database on the device (right pane.) You can then recreate your profiles. Sorry but that's the only way.

rockinsage 10-12-2007 04:02 PM

John,

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Appreciate the info.

anesone 10-16-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 702082)
There is a corruption in one of your profiles. Unfortunatly, the only way to fix it is to go into the Advanced feature of Backup/Restore and clear the Profiles database on the device (right pane.) You can then recreate your profiles. Sorry but that's the only way.

I'm having the same problem, although when I follow your instructions, I cannot clear my Profiles. They are greyed out on the right-hand side (nothing shows up on the left).

Any thoughts in this situation?

rockinsage 11-29-2007 10:04 AM

John,

Thanks. I was able to clear my profile db using the method you suggested. Unfortunately when I attempted a backup again, I'm getting the same error - the DM can't backup the Profiles db. I verified that they've reverted back to the factory profiles and I haven't changed any of them. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I'm using several 3rd party apps that add their own profile entries (like Black Berry Alerts and Jivetalk)?

marcusharris 12-04-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 702082)

I was able to correct this by restoring a backed-up Profiles database from an earlier (successful) backup attempt using the Advanced feature of Backup/Restore.

If the curruption issue is something that just popped-up and you were able to successfully backup that DB in prior days/months, it may be worth trying to restore it first before clearing it and starting over.

infernox 01-15-2008 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Help! I having the same problem as stated in the start of this thread. I also tried to restore an older Profile in one of my backup files but that the Profile file is grayed out. Any other recommendations? BTW, I am on a BES.

luckman212 06-02-2008 09:47 PM

I am now also having this problem. I am on a BES too so the Profiles are greyed out as far as restoring an older version from backup or "clearing" . It's a hosted-BES so I don't think I can clear the specific database either... am I going to have to wipe my entire device to fix this?? Help!!

BTW I think that what corrupted my profiles was "AlertMatrix" beta program