BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   President Obama and Evolution (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172128)

djm2 04-21-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1359810)
I agree with THECB. Do you?

ICR sues THECB | NCSE

The Institute for Creation Research Graduate School filed suit over the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's decision to deny the ICR's request for a state certificate of authority to offer a master's degree in science education. The complaint, filed on April 16, 2009, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, named Raymund Paredes, the Texas Commissioner of Higher Education, and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and its members as defendants, in both their official and individual capacities, accusing them of imposing "an unconstitutional and prejudicial burden against ICRGS's academic freedom and religious liberties" (p. 63) and asking the court for declarative and injunctive relief.

I agree, in large part because they are asking to be certified as a Master's degree in SCIENCE. If they want to call it a Master's degree in the Humanities, then I suspect that it would be acceptable.

wizood 04-23-2009 12:21 AM

Wirelessly posted (bb pearl 8130)

Well I did not read all of this thread but I notice some of you say tgat evolution is theory. Well everything in the bible is not true either. How can 1 man have 2 fish and 1 bread to feed over 1000( not really sure about the number) people and make them all full? Or how can one man spread a very large body of water just waving his arms apart so people can escape. Or when did you ever see someone walk on water. If you can prove any of this then I will be a believer.

stoneperez 04-23-2009 04:21 AM

I believe schools should teach it all from every angle and have the students use the matter that is holding there ears in place for a change. Obama has to say what he has to so no one will be offended or hurt there feelings on this matter. Schools need to to what they are design to do and that is teach our young ones so they have what it take to make a decision in there own lives.

Dawg 04-23-2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizood (Post 1362132)
Wirelessly posted (bb pearl 8130)

Well I did not read all of this thread but I notice some of you say tgat evolution is theory. Well everything in the bible is not true either. How can 1 man have 2 fish and 1 bread to feed over 1000( not really sure about the number) people and make them all full? Or how can one man spread a very large body of water just waving his arms apart so people can escape. Or when did you ever see someone walk on water. If you can prove any of this then I will be a believer.

If you say so(n)

djm2 04-23-2009 09:04 AM

So prove it for the man Dawg.

kathrynhr 04-23-2009 09:18 AM

bexxx8901;liefxxx8194; xxx8194;(bi-leef)
xxx8211;noun

1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
4. a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

djm2 04-23-2009 12:01 PM

Exactly Katherine.

Dawg 04-23-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1362454)
So prove it for the man Dawg.

The burden of proof is on the him. I can look out my window and see Gods creation. You prove to me that God did not create the earth. There is only faith either way. I would much rather belive God exists than not. It would be a pretty scary world with out him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1362711)
Exactly Katherine.

you could be polite enough to spell her name correctly.

mriff 04-23-2009 06:07 PM

Really nice article on evolution of land mammals to sea animals.

A Missing Link, p.1 - Puijila: A Prehistoric Walking Seal

Dawg 04-23-2009 07:07 PM

looks like a skeleton to me could be anything in truth.

mriff 04-24-2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1363197)
looks like a skeleton to me could be anything in truth.

To your untrained eye, sure. To a scientist who studies fossils of this group everyday, looks like something entirely different.

mriff 04-24-2009 06:26 AM

Looks like our buddy Don McLeroy is in hot water over in Texas.

WATCH: State education chair faces senate panel | Austin | Texas News | Texas Cable News | TXCN.com | News for Texas

End poor guidance of Texas education

Dawg 04-24-2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1363582)
To your untrained eye, sure. To a scientist who studies fossils of this group everyday, looks like something entirely different.

Sure, if you say so.

mriff 04-24-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1363607)
Sure, if you say so.

I didn't say so. It's not my research. I was simply posting the results of recent scientific research that I found interesting. Obviously, you could give a rip. Which doesn't surprise me at all.

Dawg 04-24-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1363836)
I didn't say so. It's not my research. I was simply posting the results of recent scientific research that I found interesting. Obviously, you could give a rip. Which doesn't surprise me at all.

Dude I was just busting your balls on this one. :razz: I actually think fossils are cool

mriff 04-24-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1364018)
Dude I was just busting your balls on this one. :razz: I actually think fossils are cool

Lol! It's hard to tell with you sometimes Dawg. :smile:

Dawg 04-24-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1364141)
Lol! It's hard to tell with you sometimes Dawg. :smile:

I know. I decided to leave this thread alone to be honest. I respect what you do, I just don't know what I believe anymore to honest with you. Anything and everything can be made up or falsified these days.

Don't get me wrong I still believe in God, but what has he allowed or disallowed to be discovered.

kathrynhr 04-24-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1364157)
Don't get me wrong I still believe in God, but what has he allowed or disallowed to be discovered.

I've struggled with this on and off again myself. In the end I decided that as a Christian, it simply doesn't matter. We can debate the degree to which the Old Testament should be taken literally until the cows come home, and we won't get anywhere. My personal relationship with Christ is not dependent upon what happened before His birth, or the manner in which it was recorded. How we all got here is interesting philosophical discussion material, but what we choose to do with the lives we've been given is where He said our focus ought to be. And while science can give our lives color and context, it is completely incapable of giving them depth or meaning. Science is all about What, and the Bible is about Why. Although each hints at the existence of the other, I think we fail when we apply one to the other for the answers to those respective questions.

YMMV, of course. ;-)

mriff 04-25-2009 05:24 PM

You guys are veering off into the philosophical. Not my strong point. I think though Kathryn, that your statements about science wouldn't be agreeable to many scientists. There are many scientific efforts that seek to answer why. Often, what is the easy part and is researched with specific hypotheses. Then a larger body of research is synthesized together to answer why. Anyway, maybe it's semantics. I do agree with most of what you have written.

We've come a long way in this thread. This is not the way I've seen others evolve (lol, for lack of a better word).

mriff 04-25-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1364157)
I know. I decided to leave this thread alone to be honest. I respect what you do, I just don't know what I believe anymore to honest with you. Anything and everything can be made up or falsified these days.

Ok, I hear you. (y) One caveat. Science has a way of severely weeding out dishonesty. Scientists who falsify or lie are cast aside and discredited, often very publicly. There's a lot of self policing among scientists.