BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Blackberry Spontaneously Reboots Repeatedly (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=256811)

WestofLeft 01-07-2012 01:03 PM

Blackberry Spontaneously Reboots Repeatedly

This is an offshoot of an earlier post about Latitude possibly being at fault in my Storm2 woes. Latitude developed to have no discernible role.

I went to VZW, who sent me a refurb which I spend a couple of hours switching. Now, I find that the new phone also reboots on its own.

Each time it reboots, a fully charged battery is run down to near-zero, And it does so repeatedly until there isn't any power at all.

The only thing that gets it up and running is to use the wall or car charger, then it will boot up and stay until some other event causes it to go down that reboot trail again.

Seems clear to me that this is either software-related, or my SD Minicard is causing it, as these are the only elements that have moved from one phone to the other.

I would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Don.

tsac 01-07-2012 03:06 PM

Re: Blackberry Spontaneously Reboots Repeatedly

Try removing the SD card. Also if the battery is defective the BB will do this. If it does not reboot while powered ( wall or car) then it might be good to replace the battery. If an LI battery is allowed to drain down below 25% a few times it generally wont recover.

Also remove any added Apps to see if one is causing this.

aiharkness 01-07-2012 03:17 PM

I missed the other thread. Don't know what all you have done. I agree with trying another battery.

WestofLeft 01-09-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsac (Post 1762630)
Try removing the SD card. Also if the battery is defective the BB will do this. If it does not reboot while powered ( wall or car) then it might be good to replace the battery. If an LI battery is allowed to drain down below 25% a few times it generally wont recover.

Also remove any added Apps to see if one is causing this.

Thanks for the suggestions, and your reply.

Went to the VZW store and couldn't find anyone who knew anything more than to give me a refurb.

Me: "Could it be the battery?"
Them: "It's NOT the battery."
Me: "Is there a way to test it here?" (this store used to keep techies around who could)
Them: "No. Do you want us to order another phone?"

I can try removing the SD card (I asked them if that could be the cause, but they didn't appear to be aware that phones have SD cards). If not, I can try another battery, they're fairly cheap, especially since, as YOU noted, if it doesn't do this when plugged in, it's probably the battery. It in fact doesn't reboot itself when plugged into a wall or car charger.

Thanks again.

Don.

tsac 01-09-2012 09:48 PM

Post if the new battery fixes the issue.

Also, re-reading the post it still seems like a battery issue. You can remove the SD card to see if it does anything but dont count on it. If it turns out to be some mechanical issue with the internal connections after the wired battery connection you can always replace the BB and end up with a new spare battery.

Good luck.