BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Installing BB Monitoring service (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=202345)

Walter_Str 08-27-2009 07:10 AM

Installing BB Monitoring service

I tried to install the blackberry monitoring service on BES 5.0. It did not work, so I stepped back to a older snapshot of the server.

Now I cannot install the monitoring service again. The option is greyed out. I think there is still anything within the Besmgmt db.

Any help on this?:

hdawg 08-30-2009 02:56 PM

Is the database on the same server as the BES?

Walter_Str 08-31-2009 05:49 AM

Yes it is. I found the correct tables within the BESMgmt DB. I had to clear two tables: BMSUConfigurations and BMSAConfigurations. Installation worked.

But when I go to the management site for the monitoring service there is only a white screen. I can not log in???

usererror 08-31-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_Str (Post 1462392)
Yes it is. I found the correct tables within the BESMgmt DB. I had to clear two tables: BMSUConfigurations and BMSAConfigurations. Installation worked.

But when I go to the management site for the monitoring service there is only a white screen. I can not log in???

How did you set up your SNMP? I've got BES monitoring installed but i can't do anything with it. I have no experience setting up SNMP services...and that's apparently what the BMS uses to get its reports. :x

Walter_Str 09-01-2009 03:13 AM

Sorry, I didnīt configure SNMP by now. My main problem is that I cannot login to the monitoring web console. I just get a blank page.

jimjones 09-01-2009 08:33 AM

I had a similar problem and found the the registry key for the BIPPEPassword was blank so. I copied the value from the dispatcher key and I finally got the logon. Mine was working but broke after installing MR1.

I copied the value from the following key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Dispatcher\BippePassword

and pasted the value into the following key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Monitoring Service\BippePassword

I then restarted the monitoring console service and all was back to normal.

Walter_Str 09-01-2009 09:49 AM

The BippePassword wasnxxx8217;t set on the BES too. I set this on both servers (BES+Monitoring) with the server configuration tool. No success again.

I had a similar problem installing Web desktop 1.0 a year ago. I solved the problem by changing the database access to dynamic ports. Is it possible to change BMS to use dynamic ports.

And there are some error messages within the BBMS log:

(09/01 00:00:59:718):{Timer-0} [com.rim.bes.bms.system.PollManager] [ERROR] [BBMS-3003] {unknown} Uncaught exception in PollManager thread

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:104)

(09/01 16:39:46:729):{http-8443-3} [com.rim.bes.bas.web.common.CommonExceptionPresente r] [WARN] [BBAS-2007] {unknown} Caught unknown exception

Any ideas???

SEP 09-02-2009 04:01 AM

Setting this up a seperate server, what format and where do you get the "SNMP read community string" info from?

Walter_Str 09-09-2009 06:32 AM

sorry but i didnīt configure snmp by now. I still cannot open the Monitoring admin web site.

mapthulu 09-30-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEP (Post 1463731)
Setting this up a seperate server, what format and where do you get the "SNMP read community string" info from?

Check the properties of the SNMP service where BES is running

freakinvibe 10-02-2009 05:16 AM

It is recommended to setup the BES monitoring service on a separate server. Also SNMP must be setup properly on the BES server. To do that you don't need to get to the monitoring web site. SNMP is part of the operating system and has nothing to with BES.

Please read

BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server-5.0-US_Monitoring.pdf

which you can find on the RIM web site.

Walter_Str 10-02-2009 09:02 AM

yes thatīs true. but there is no sense in configuring SNMP, if you can not access the monitoring server

freakinvibe 10-05-2009 02:55 AM

Quote:

I still cannot open the Monitoring admin web site.
What error message do you get? Also, are you sure there are no conflicting other services on that box (e.g. IIS)?

Brendan42 01-04-2010 05:03 AM

Any update on this. To summarize, when opening the Monitoring service (installed on a seperate server to the BES, with the BMSStore DB on the same server as the Monitoring Service) I get a blank screen before even being able to login. SNMP doesn't come into play at this stage. My SNMP is working fine, but I can't get into the Monitoring Service to configure it the service to accept SNMP packets.

Brendan42 01-05-2010 05:35 PM

OK, found KB19213 which suggested modifying the hosts file to include the IP address and DNS name of the Admin Service. This seems to work and I can now login to the Monitoring Service webpage. Only problem...
We have set up a DNS round robin for HA, but I can only specify the current primary server IP in the hosts file. Tried adding both IP's with the same DNS name and I got the original problem of having a blank page which I could not log into.

Walter_Str 01-07-2010 04:01 AM

I uninstalled everything. deleted the Monitoiring DB. And reinstalled it again with the version including SP1. and now it works fine??

Brendan42 01-07-2010 01:06 PM

I envy you Walter. Only have 66 users on the new BES (with another 1200 waiting to transfer over from parallel 4.1.6 environment), yet I have to jump through hoops to do what you did.
Have now built another BES v5 with seperate DB, just going to use the BET to move them and rebuild the whole thing. Easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.