BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   What is the primary use for Wifi? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=96487)

kgn1224 09-23-2007 12:42 PM

What is the primary use for Wifi?

I got my AT&T BB 8820. I transfered all apps to my new device and they seem to be working fine.

Outside of having the latest and greatest device and benefits of the new OS, what is the primary benefit for wifi if Opera doesn't use it and it can't be used for VoIP calls?

The BB Browser is lame. Is speeding up the BB browser the only real benefit?

What am I missing here?

JSanders 09-23-2007 12:44 PM

Faster internet browser is the primary purpose.

What was your purpose in purchasing it?

kgn1224 09-23-2007 12:49 PM

My 8800 was outside the warranty period and roller ball continued to lose traction.

Operationally, I hoped browsing speed would be greatly improved. I guess the speed is limited by the BB browser. I also wanted an improved media application.

NJBlackBerry 09-23-2007 12:50 PM

I find the BB Browser orders of magnitude faster over WiFi. Much, much faster. I am not an Opera Mini user, but that works over WiFi also.

eTHE2 09-23-2007 12:52 PM

I think the browser now has a WiFI, Blackberry and WAP browser. Each of these browsers can be configured for defaults (i.e. IE or Windows Mobile, etc). While not spectacular, it is much better than past browser version. Contrary to posts here, there are a few of us getting the Opera Mini browser to run over WiFi.

I believe the device also has A2DP bluetooth 2.0 support and also has an inline spell checker for emails.

There is some indication the device does support SIP (while not widely published) and it does support UMA (carrier based VOIP).

Some of these benefits are not immediately beneficial if you are using AT&T.

Helmdawg 09-23-2007 01:21 PM

My browsing is super fast with my wifi, big difference.

Magnusm29464 09-23-2007 08:49 PM

my browsing is over the mobile net even though the wifi is activated. I dont kno how to use the wifi. it goes through edge regardlessly and when i turn edge off wifi doesn't work without it.

Sgt_Strider 09-23-2007 11:54 PM

What is the advantage of Opera Mini over the BB browser? Why is it that some people can't get the Opera Mini to work over wifi?

mavsx 09-24-2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnusm29464 (Post 678544)
my browsing is over the mobile net even though the wifi is activated. I dont kno how to use the wifi. it goes through edge regardlessly and when i turn edge off wifi doesn't work without it.

can't you go to the "manage Connections"

wcberry 09-24-2007 06:49 PM

One item often overlooked is that I can use the 8820 in Korea or Japan, etc, in a hotspot where there is no GMS phone service. Or in anyplace where there is no signal in remote areas. No phone but at least Email and Data, which is what I need.