BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   OS 4.1 -- complete list of improvements over 4.0.xx (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=24194)

headtailgrep 01-18-2006 09:06 PM

OS 4.1 -- complete list of improvements over 4.0.xx

Here is my list of improvements from 4.0.2 to 4.1. Please feel free to confirm/deny any of this and add any other improvements you find. With others input, we can make this the complete list and add it to Marky's FAQ.

(Note: i'm comparing from a 7290)

a) Themes! Now you can download and actually use themes! (search this forum for the theme thread)

b) FASTER! Yes, that's right! Applications now run faster! Try Google Maps (Google Local Mobile) from http://google.com/glm. I find that it is 15-20% faster loading and scrolling. With 4.1 i can scroll the maps and it loads almost in real-time. 4.0.2 did not do this (too many pauses and waiting for downloads)

I believe this is mostly increased download speed, but i could be wrong. Need to prove with benchmarks.

c) Web browser is signifigantly updated! Too many things to mention here..

d) Composing e-mail changes:
When you compose a message, start typing in the To: field and it will automatically pick from your addressbook , very similar to what you find as 'autocomplete' in Outlook. .

e) Snooze option for Tasks/Calendar! (see Options menu) Finally! what took them so long..

f) NEW bluetooth profiles:
"Desktop Connectivity"
"Wireless Bypass"
(Above adds Wireless PIM sync over Bluetooth! works on 7290!)

g) Updated version of Brickbreaker..

What have you discovered? post here.

rdrakea 01-18-2006 09:55 PM

-the "compose" option is gone from the home screen (shortcut "c") with the default theme. This is taking some getting used to.

-you can assign a ringtone to a certain user in your address book

-you can create "exceptions" for your profiles

-you can hide sent items from the messages view (love this - about time!)

-the calendar icon no longer has the little "up/down" arrows to indicate wireless sync is turned on

-There are submenus in the options screen (i.e. Advanced Options, Security Options"

-New font: BBClarity

joginder 01-18-2006 09:58 PM

if you are in Berry411 and found a listing. Go to the phone number and hit the phone key and it will dial the number. No need to hit Trackwheel . really cool this.
When you are browsing there is an easy way to go to Bookmarks .. I just it the front custom button. really cool .. Earlier I used to do the t.wheel.
ERROR: address book entries can be deleted from Find: screen. it was never in older version. Alreadysubmitted to RIM

biellos 01-18-2006 10:03 PM

hey rdrakea, my compose shortcut is not gone... using a 7290 on TMO and it still works.... not sure if you can do anything about it, but thought you would want to know.

jibi 01-18-2006 10:10 PM

- In a message, you now have the option to Forward As - I don't remember seeing that in 4.0

- When Replying to a message, it now populates blank To: and Cc: fields - I know this didn't happen in 4.0, and I'm not sure if its just a bug in this version of 4.1 (its rather annoying)

rdrakea 01-18-2006 10:13 PM

yeah...the "forward as" is new.

the blank TO and CC is there anytime you send a message (new, reply, fwd). I think it's great...you just start typing and it auto-completes from your address book.

I want my Compose option back on the home screen!! If anyone knows where it went (lol) I'd appreciate any help getting it back! Cingular 7290

dyzs 01-19-2006 02:07 AM

Calendar now allows you to set out of office/busy/tentative etc.

Bug or intentional: when in agenda view and one pushes QW (7100 series) it used to jump to the top of the current day. Now it just goes to the next appointment without putting today at the top.

In screen/keyboward options you can now customize the convenience key.

paulbblc 01-19-2006 03:32 AM

big one for me, there is an option to allow your tasks with deadlines to show up in your calendar dont remember this from 4.0

Soapm 01-19-2006 03:44 AM

If you hit the wheel in options == status there is now a database size option. Don't recall that either.

illy 01-19-2006 04:28 AM

havent tested this yet: what happens with the date of messages if you switch off your blackberry with 4.1 on it for some days and switch it on later? With 4.0.x the old messages are listed under the current date...

isarib 01-19-2006 08:59 AM

I noticed if you "Turn off" or "Full Turn off", it actually reboots and just goes to standby. So the next time you turn it ON, it boots up in like half a second. Where as before, we needed to wait for the hour glass to complete.

headtailgrep 01-19-2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulbblc
big one for me, there is an option to allow your tasks with deadlines to show up in your calendar dont remember this from 4.0

Where do you see this option? i don't see it..

CaptainIndignant 01-19-2006 10:35 AM

Um, instruction manual:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...40258&vernum=0

ScottSF 01-19-2006 01:52 PM

Anyone noticed whether or not they can read the body of an email message that has been digitally signed? I have already downloaded the new 4.1 desktop manager and it lets you import your email certificates to the BB, but the new 4.1 OS hasn't been released for my 7520 to test. Please let me know it is a real pain in the butt to get corporate emails and not be able to read them. (We are not using BES).

Scott

headtailgrep 01-19-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainIndignant

First of all, smart guy, next time you ask me a question i'll just reply in kind. This is a form for sharing information, not for throwing books at people.

Secondly, the answer is to check your calendar options, not in the task options. I was looking in tasks.

dyzs 01-19-2006 02:30 PM

Once they added the ability to set out of office/busy/tentative etc. why didn't they add the ability to label an event as a birthday/phone call/important/must attend?

BluePolaski 01-20-2006 10:14 PM

Anyone have any ideas why I dont have browser after the upgrad to 4.1? It is greyed out in Desktop Manager

paulbblc 01-20-2006 10:23 PM

Same thing happened to me after the upgrade I just resent my service books and re registered via host routing table.

Hope this helps.

BluePolaski 01-20-2006 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulbblc
Same thing happened to me after the upgrade I just resent my service books and re registered via host routing table.

Hope this helps.

I resent the service books, how do I re register via host routing table?

paulbblc 01-20-2006 10:29 PM

options > advanced options > host routing table > click on the first entry and select register.

I usually do this on the top 3 entries then do a battery pull and you should be set.