BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Odd icon on Banner Bar (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=241539)

jluker 12-11-2010 05:44 PM

Odd icon on Banner Bar

I have an icon on the Banner Bar that I cannot explain. It is a red circle with a diagonal line through it (The International "NO" symbol). It has been there since I got this phone. My first 9800 did not have it, nor did the demo phone in the store. Anyone have any thoughts?

JG in SB 12-11-2010 07:06 PM

Re: Odd icon on Banner Bar

I am pretty sure that means there is an update available for one of the applications on the phone. Probably BlackBerry App World. If you go and look at that it will probably have the little "new item" red thing on it. Update the application and thatthing will go away. I was confused the fiurst time I saw it also.

jluker 12-11-2010 08:18 PM

I checked that, but all apps on my phone are current. I've even tried deleting the apps I've never used, but it never goes away.

JSanders 12-12-2010 12:19 AM

Have you turned off your GPS Location services at Options > GPS?

tbird57 12-12-2010 10:54 AM

Can you put a picture up so there is no guessing what it is?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

jluker 12-12-2010 11:26 AM

Turned off location services, it is still there. Here is a link to the screen pic.

http://www.stormgator.com/icon.jpg

The message icons are always to the left of this icon.

JG in SB 12-12-2010 01:42 PM

Strange. I have never seen that one before. I was talking about a different one. You are right, this looks exactly like a "DO NOT ENTER", or "PROHIBITED" sign. It is like something on your phone wants to put up a notification icon, but the phone is prohibiting it. Or it is telling you that something on the phone is not being allowed. Is there anything different about your handset, like you tried to have it unlocked or something, or you are using your old SIM instead of having them give you a brand new SIM with the phone? Are you using any after-market theme? As much background tech info as you can provide would be helpful.

Mandel 12-12-2010 01:45 PM

Very odd... I looked up the official list of icons, Icon Guide - BlackBerry Smartphones - 6.0

...and this one does not appear.

I assume it has to be for a third party application. -- Check your list of applications that you recently installed, and see if it links to one of them.

Sytner 12-12-2010 03:52 PM

As a last case resolution, you could try backing up your phone and then reset everything to factory settings. It should then disappear I would imagine and then you just restore your device data.

jluker 12-12-2010 03:58 PM

This is how it came out of the box. This phone is a replacement for my first 9800, which had a bad screen. The SIM is the one from my 8300, then was in my first 9800, and now my second 9800. I had no such icon on the first 9800, or the 8300 for that matter. The AT&T salesrep said I did not need a new SIM.

jluker 12-12-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sytner (Post 1683108)
As a last case resolution, you could try backing up your phone and then reset everything to factory settings. It should then disappear I would imagine and then you just restore your device data.

How do you perform a reset? BB Customer Support is not very helpful.

Sytner 12-12-2010 04:40 PM

In the case of the 9800, you would go to Options > Security > Security Wipe > enter "blackberry" > Wipe Data.

Wait for it to finish and that should return you to factory settings. You would probably want to check everything except media card otherwise you may inadvertently wipe that also.

tbird57 12-12-2010 05:16 PM

backup with desktop manager before you wipe! What OS is currently loaded on your device?

jluker 12-12-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird57 (Post 1683140)
backup with desktop manager before you wipe! What OS is currently loaded on your device?

6.0 bundle 695.

jluker 12-12-2010 05:54 PM

Reset and restore worked! Icon is gone! Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

tbird57 12-12-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jluker (Post 1683149)
Reset and restore worked! Icon is gone! Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the update,glad it worked!

JG in SB 12-14-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jluker (Post 1683109)
This is how it came out of the box. This phone is a replacement for my first 9800, which had a bad screen. The SIM is the one from my 8300, then was in my first 9800, and now my second 9800. I had no such icon on the first 9800, or the 8300 for that matter. The AT&T salesrep said I did not need a new SIM.

ALWAYS get a new SIM. They will give you one for free, and there are always some sort of small but important performance enhancements as time goes by. Especially if you haven't gotten a new one in a year or two. Your sales rep was uninformed, lazy, or both.