BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Beta You Than Me (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   4.5 rel 74 for CDMA 8830....little things ive noticed... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=139575)

denvernoob 07-11-2008 08:25 AM

4.5 rel 74 for CDMA 8830....little things ive noticed...

a few little things I have noticed with this software bug-wise...

memory leak is pretty bad. being beta software I am not at all suprised...but the leak has led me to discover annoying bug #2...the icons do not remain where they were saved when rebooting! not a big deal in the least, the software really is GREAT IMO and I am glad I performed the upgrade....but that is one of those little things to be fixed. I beta test software (officially, not this way...lol) for a VW/Audi performance tuning company and like to pull things apart and test until I find issues (kind of important when dealing with people's cars...lol)...and as far as big glaring issues go...not too much here....seems like RIM is dialing in the finer points at this phase of the game and making the software marketable...nice work!

flipflash77 07-11-2008 08:56 AM

Odd. I have the opposite experience. Memory management in .51 is a lot better than .33, and I'm not losing heaps of memory every day like I was before (on .33 I'd drop from 13 MB after a pull to 7 MB in a day or two). What other applications are you running? I find Viigo is a big leaker (as useful as it is).

My icons remain in the correct order after a pull as well, except for the Memory Cleaner which seems to switch itself to disabled. I use the L theme.

denvernoob 07-11-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipflash77 (Post 1011206)
Odd. I have the opposite experience. Memory management in .51 is a lot better than .33, and I'm not losing heaps of memory every day like I was before (on .33 I'd drop from 13 MB after a pull to 7 MB in a day or two). What other applications are you running? I find Viigo is a big leaker (as useful as it is).

My icons remain in the correct order after a pull as well, except for the Memory Cleaner which seems to switch itself to disabled. I use the L theme.

i assume Viigo is the source...even with pretty restrictive settings (only 9 channels and a 200 article max, without automated updates) that it sucks away memory at a rate 2 or 3x what it did on OS 3.xx. Other apps I am running seem to be fairly irrelevant with the leak. good catch!

as for the theme, I am running dimension today...still my personal favorite!

akosnitzky 07-11-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipflash77 (Post 1011206)

THis program took an extra 3 MB away from my device as well. I hope it wil not be an issue with final release.

stevehord 07-11-2008 10:53 AM

I have found that performance is slightly slower. I am on .33 If you can give me a hint on where to find .51 or higher, I would appreciate it. Activation took quite a while to get completed. Still don't have html email ability.

stevehord 07-11-2008 11:37 AM

Any idea why there is no ability to set for HTML messages? Don't have it on BES connection or on POP. There is no setting on Messages --> options.

jsconyers 07-11-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehord (Post 1011430)
Any idea why there is no ability to set for HTML messages? Don't have it on BES connection or on POP. There is no setting on Messages --> options.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...lackberry.html

That should help you!(y) good luck.

flipflash77 07-11-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehord (Post 1011370)
I have found that performance is slightly slower. I am on .33 If you can give me a hint on where to find .51 or higher, I would appreciate it. Activation took quite a while to get completed. Still don't have html email ability.

.33 was slower than the last 4.2.2 release in most people's experiences. .51 is snappier and fixes a bunch of issues from .33. Google for it. It's one of the top returned results. Are people really that lazy to google? <sigh>

HTML email, follow the links provided. You probably just need to resend your service books.

the_evil_entity 07-11-2008 12:30 PM

Running 4.50.51 r74 and the 8830 (Bell) keeps rebooting after coming up. No 3rd party apps installed. Anyone else find this behaviour?

celly 07-11-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_evil_entity (Post 1011561)
Running 4.50.51 r74 and the 8830 (Bell) keeps rebooting after coming up. No 3rd party apps installed. Anyone else find this behaviour?

I've got the same phone and same OS. Same carrier. The only 3rd party app I have is Viigo.

No issues whatsoever except I can't get Youtube to work, but from what I've seen, I'm not the only one.

stevehord 07-11-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1011439)
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...lackberry.html

That should help you!(y) good luck.

Yep. That did the trick. Thanks.

stevehord 07-11-2008 06:33 PM

I have been running this latest version 4.5.0.51 It has locked up on me once. There is some hesitation on the trackball at times. I love the HTML email, and I love the look and feel of the browser. I know it is beta, so I cannot complain too much. I will give it a few days to see if the slower performance is worth the benefit of HTML email.
I almost believed that the GPS function worked again, but I guess Verizon has made sure it is dead. Kept searching for satellites, but no avail.
I know RIMM will get all things corrected before formal release. Any time mentioned anywhere about when expected public release?

akosnitzky 07-11-2008 06:45 PM

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehord
I have been running this latest version 4.5.0.51 It has locked up on me once. There is some hesitation on the trackball at times. I love the HTML email, and I love the look and feel of the browser. I know it is beta, so I cannot complain too much. I will give it a few days to see if the slower performance is worth the benefit of HTML email.
I almost believed that the GPS function worked again, but I guess Verizon has made sure it is dead. Kept searching for satellites, but no avail.
I know RIMM will get all things corrected before formal release. Any time mentioned anywhere about when expected public release?

What is the quality of your html? I notice I get the text but the logo images do not load.

stevehord 07-12-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akosnitzky (Post 1012226)

What is the quality of your html? I notice I get the text but the logo images do not load.

I was looking at the HTML email's this morning, and they seem fine. I am prompted to view images, which is fine. They appear fine. A few I have had to scroll left-right.

stevehord 07-12-2008 01:54 PM

I have noticed that there is a pause when I try to answer the phone. It takes a few seconds to show connected when I try to answer. At first I thought the button was not responding, but it takes about 2-3 seconds to answer. This is consistent. Same problem when I try to make a call.
Anybody else experience that?

stevehord 07-12-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akosnitzky (Post 1012226)

Remember to reload your service books, and then you will have the option for HTML messages. Also, old messages won't work. You have to wait until new messages come in.

akosnitzky 07-12-2008 01:59 PM

Thank you. I have done those items. I am getting limited html.

bolthead 07-12-2008 04:49 PM

MMS will not send at all since I have loaded .51, they were sending fine on .45

Also all the preloaded pictures and samples are not on the device after upgrade, not that I miss them just odd that they were removed, makes me wonder if this beta was tampered with before it was uploaded.

shael 07-12-2008 09:55 PM

Wirelessly posted (8830)

What kind of battery life are you guys experiencing? Mine seems to be substantially worse with the new OS.

akosnitzky 07-12-2008 11:06 PM

I have not noticed. My biggest issue is low initial memory and a faster memory leak which may be impacting the battery. I would like to dump the zen theme but dont think we can because it effects other aspects of the device.

akosnitzky 07-13-2008 12:10 PM

Terrible memory leask. I just removed Jive Talk. I may need to downgrade. I am pulling the battery or rebooting almost hourly

forumguy 07-13-2008 09:49 PM

Installed 4.5.0.51 (74) and most of my core applications are working and memory management is great; however the Verizon and BB themes are driving my nuts.
Does anyone know how to install additional themes - my favorite is the Vodafone White day theme.

Thanks!

BFEINZIMER 07-13-2008 11:29 PM

memory leaks worse than a guy with urinary incontinence (.51) ;)

breakerfall 07-14-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFEINZIMER (Post 1015224)
memory leaks worse than a guy with urinary incontinence (.51) ;)

hmm, gross...

i've noticed a memory leak as well.
i have the RIM google talk app and Simulsays (PhoneTag voicemail app) running in the background...
I lose about 4 megs (down to about 6(!) megs free), but i havent seen it go below that..

akosnitzky 07-14-2008 09:26 AM

As far as the leak, I do not want to dump Viigo but that wil be next. I also started out with less memory.

Kcorbett 07-14-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehord (Post 1013259)
I have noticed that there is a pause when I try to answer the phone. It takes a few seconds to show connected when I try to answer. At first I thought the button was not responding, but it takes about 2-3 seconds to answer. This is consistent. Same problem when I try to make a call.
Anybody else experience that?

I am also seeing this. When I make a call while using bluetooth, the call starts ringing on speaker phone, then you hear it dial, then it switches over to my headset. Weird.

I am also experiencing a pretty bad memory leak. (I'm assuming Viigo is the culprit).

Overall though, I really like 4.5.

flipflash77 07-14-2008 10:57 AM

I don't have any memory leakage here. I've been holding firm at the same free memory level for about 3 days now. What I had previously noticed on 4.2.2 though was that the Viigo beta was terrible at memory management. I would lose 2+ MB a day with minimal articles and subscriptions. I'd suspect if you remove Viigo, your memory issues will clear up. I like the program too, but I can't live with that huge a leak. I just use Feeds in Opera Mini. Not as fast or slick, but they work and don't require any more memory than Opera does.

As for battery life, I'm tracking at about the same if not slightly better than the last 4.2.2 release.

squeff 07-14-2008 11:31 AM

I've dumped Viigo and I'm still seeing significant memory leak issues. Might be something else I'm running.

Right now, Status says I have 2,567,897 bytes free. After battery pull, it's back up to 5,582,449.

Yesterday, before a battery pull, it was down to under 1M.

shael 07-14-2008 11:39 AM

Wirelessly posted (8830)

There's no question that there are memory leak issues, obviously worse for some users. I haven't dipped much below 4 yet, but I find that unacceptable. Why we can put an 8 gig card in the Blackberry yet it supports mere megabytes is silly to me.

As far as Viigo, I'm sure it's a big culprit and contributing factor, but still not the prime cause.

searly 07-14-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeff (Post 1015867)
I've dumped Viigo and I'm still seeing significant memory leak issues. Might be something else I'm running.

Right now, Status says I have 2,567,897 bytes free. After battery pull, it's back up to 5,582,449.

WOW, squeff, that is as low as I have seen! I had some problems with the memory leak with .33 so I deleted Viigo and it helped a lot (although I miss the hell out of having it). Now that I have .51 I am seeing a very small leak and believe it or not, have more memory available then with .33.....

akosnitzky 07-14-2008 12:04 PM

Anyone considering downgrading?

There will be other betas.

I notice my device reboots when I am on the phone for a period of time.

squeff 07-14-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Here it is just a bit later. I've really done nothing on my device since that battery pull and now it's down to 3,789,713. 2M, vanished, just like that.

madnesss 07-14-2008 12:20 PM

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've been finding it to be very stable - a lot of the bugs that were seen in the .33 version (BBPro tunes not working, selecting multiple messages, the Click noise on the trackball not working, etc) all seem to be working fine for me (8830 WE, Bell Mobility)... my memory seems to be hovering around 13-14MB, which has always been fairly average for me (fairly big address book and lots of emails)...

I have noticed that Youtube still doesnt work though - the media player still throws up an error when trying to play the file. Anyone else get it to work? Is there a setting that I need to tinker with?

flipflash77 07-14-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Wow, you must have a LOT installed on your phone to be down around 5 MB after a battery pull. What other applications do you have on there? Viigo is off and we know that it's rather piggish. Got anything else?

Like madnesss, I've got about 14 MB free after a battery pull. I've got a handful of things installed, but nothing gigantic.

squeff 07-14-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipflash77 (Post 1016054)
Wow, you must have a LOT installed on your phone to be down around 5 MB after a battery pull. What other applications do you have on there? Viigo is off and we know that it's rather piggish. Got anything else?

Like madnesss, I've got about 14 MB free after a battery pull. I've got a handful of things installed, but nothing gigantic.

It gets more interesting. I'm down to 0 bytes. However, I can still load thing into memory without a problem. I think that Options/Status is broken. That is, that I actually have more memory, but it's being reported wrong.

Anyone know of a program that'll show total and free memory. I notice that "total" is no longer shown in Options/Status. Wonder why that is.

Anyway, here's what I have loaded, as per Applications list:

AIM
BB 4.5 Core Apps
BB 4.5 System Software
BB Attachment Service
BB Maps
BB Messenger
BrickBreaker
Browser
Documents to Go (I have the upgrade version with Excel)
Email setup program
FreeRange (this one, I can see, taking up a lot of memory)
Gmail
Google Talk
Handmark Blackjack
Help
Ka-Glom!
Klondike
Lingo
Medieval Kings Chess 2
Memo Pad
Today Plus Theme
Pacman
PasswordKeeper
Phone
PocketDay
Pub Checkers
Real Dice Roulette
Real Dice VideoPoker
Sprint Navigation
Tasks
TodoMatrix

After the upgrade, I removed Viigo Tango beta, Pocket Informant beta, and a few other games.

Kcorbett 07-15-2008 07:26 AM

Quote:

Suddenly, my memory leak problem seems rather insignificant...:-o

I was getting upset when I was around 8M

akosnitzky 07-15-2008 07:40 AM

Thank you for sharing the info regrading the status info.

Since the beta, my device will reboot randomly when I have it on but plugged to a charger in my car.

celly 07-15-2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madnesss (Post 1015927)
Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've been finding it to be very stable - a lot of the bugs that were seen in the .33 version (BBPro tunes not working, selecting multiple messages, the Click noise on the trackball not working, etc) all seem to be working fine for me (8830 WE, Bell Mobility)... my memory seems to be hovering around 13-14MB, which has always been fairly average for me (fairly big address book and lots of emails)...

I have noticed that Youtube still doesnt work though - the media player still throws up an error when trying to play the file. Anyone else get it to work? Is there a setting that I need to tinker with?

Ditto, on almost all counts. ROCK SOLID for me.

Jase88 07-16-2008 04:46 PM

I experienced a problem with memory leaks...so I've downgraded to 4.2 again.

Bozo2007 07-16-2008 07:30 PM

I have noticed a battery life drop since loading rel 74. I use to plug in my bb every 4 days or so. Now its every night. Nothing new added to the bb since the beta load.

akosnitzky 07-16-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase88 (Post 1020093)
I experienced a problem with memory leaks...so I've downgraded to 4.2 again.

Thats unfortunate. My device leaks quickly at the beginning but seems to maintain a bit longer as the device memory drops under 12MB

quattro527 07-17-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denvernoob (Post 1011154)
a few little things I have noticed with this software bug-wise...

memory leak is pretty bad. being beta software I am not at all suprised...but the leak has led me to discover annoying bug #2...the icons do not remain where they were saved when rebooting! not a big deal in the least, the software really is GREAT IMO and I am glad I performed the upgrade....but that is one of those little things to be fixed. I beta test software (officially, not this way...lol) for a VW/Audi performance tuning company and like to pull things apart and test until I find issues (kind of important when dealing with people's cars...lol)...and as far as big glaring issues go...not too much here....seems like RIM is dialing in the finer points at this phase of the game and making the software marketable...nice work!

Ted,

Have you also tested Rel 51 and compared it to Rel 74? :smile:(y)

My Rel 51 has been freezing up on my media player as well as Google Maps, and more buggy than a REVOTechnik Audi piece of software. :razz:

Kazmi 07-21-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeff (Post 1016414)
It gets more interesting. I'm down to 0 bytes. However, I can still load thing into memory without a problem. I think that Options/Status is broken. That is, that I actually have more memory, but it's being reported wrong.

Anyone know of a program that'll show total and free memory. I notice that "total" is no longer shown in Options/Status. Wonder why that is.

Anyway, here's what I have loaded, as per Applications list:

AIM
BB 4.5 Core Apps
BB 4.5 System Software
BB Attachment Service
BB Maps
BB Messenger
BrickBreaker
Browser
Documents to Go (I have the upgrade version with Excel)
Email setup program
FreeRange (this one, I can see, taking up a lot of memory)
Gmail
Google Talk
Handmark Blackjack
Help
Ka-Glom!
Klondike
Lingo
Medieval Kings Chess 2
Memo Pad
Today Plus Theme
Pacman
PasswordKeeper
Phone
PocketDay
Pub Checkers
Real Dice Roulette
Real Dice VideoPoker
Sprint Navigation
Tasks
TodoMatrix

After the upgrade, I removed Viigo Tango beta, Pocket Informant beta, and a few other games.

I have the EXACT same issue with memory and I don't have as much as you installed. I too had mentioned not being able to see the Total File space anymore on the Options>Status screen but that didn't get anyone's attention.

I believe that you are right - that there is in fact more memory that the Options screen is telling us. I had downloaded a memory program from crackberry and it always showed me having 17 megs free while my options screen always hovered around 5-7 megs....

squeff 07-21-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazmi (Post 1026183)
I have the EXACT same issue with memory and I don't have as much as you installed. I too had mentioned not being able to see the Total File space anymore on the Options>Status screen but that didn't get anyone's attention.

I believe that you are right - that there is in fact more memory that the Options screen is telling us. I had downloaded a memory program from crackberry and it always showed me having 17 megs free while my options screen always hovered around 5-7 megs....

I assume you mean MemoryViewer. I downloaded a trail of this.

Here's what I see:

Alt-Shift-H (BB) reports:
File Free: 2,150,646 bytes
File Total: 47,448,064 bytes

MemorViewer reports:
Total: 23,485K
Free: 11,757K
Used: 11,769K

Nice to see that these numbers have absolutely no connection to each other. :?