BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   ADPCM Ringtones [True Audio Ringtones for 7100 handhelds] - NOT FOR 7100i (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4764)

HiRoll3r 03-15-2005 03:13 PM

ADPCM Ringtones [True Audio Ringtones for 7100 handhelds] - NOT FOR 7100i

I'm starting a new thread since the last one, "ADPCM Ringtone Mystery Half Solved" doesn't do the situation justice. The mystery's at least 3/4 solved now ;).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
The original ADPCM voice ringtones research thread is at:
Original 7100 ADPCM Ringtones Research

Links to where to download ringtones:
Download Ringtones

HiRoll3r 03-15-2005 03:25 PM

You'll need a couple things to make an .adp ringtone that'll play on the 7100:

1) an audio editor (Cool Edit, etc)
2) a webserver
3) The Philips version of Mobile Phone Tools. Get it here:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/c/c...p2_ics_eng.zip

First edit your .wav or .mp3 down to about 15 seconds. We need to make sure that the final .adp file is under 120K, which seems to be the max file size the 7100 can handle. Save the file as an MS PCM wav.

Next, install Mobile Phone Tools. Skip the part that asks for your Identifier, fax #, etc. Also, whenever you start the program it's gonna ask how your phone is connected to your PC. Since it only works with Philips phones, click cancel.

Mobile Phone Tools can apparently be used to sync contacts, email, etc, but we have a Blackberry so we don't care about that functionality. All we need this program for is the Multimedia Center. Click the Menu button, then Tools, then Multimedia Center. Once this opens click on the button that says Melody Studio. Open your wav, click Save As, and select Oki ADPCM as the file type.

Now upload this file to your web server. Before you can download to the 7100, you need to make sure that the correct MIME type has been set. MIME types tell a browser how to handle certain file extensions. You want to add the MIME type "audio/adpcm adp". The way to do this differs from server to server, so check your web server's documentation or speak w/ your hosting company.

Once you've got the MIME type set, and the .adp file uploaded, open up the BB browser and navigate to the URL where your .adp is. It can take a few minutes for it to load, so don't panic. Once the Media Player has loaded and your ring tone is playing, click the scroll wheel and choose save. It'll ask for confirmation that you want to save it (you can also change the file name at this point).

That's it. You've now got a ringtone infinitely better than midi on your 7100 ;)

I'll be updating this as more information is known. There's still a few bugs to work out as far as the absolute max file size, etc.

Krycek 03-15-2005 03:41 PM

This is the proper link to that file:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/c/c...p2_ics_eng.zip

Lucky Luciano 03-15-2005 05:01 PM

A good audio editor to use to shorten your tracks is Goldwave, there is a free trial that you can use from download.com. Direct link here: GoldWave 5.06

drein 03-15-2005 05:04 PM

Actually, you can also use the melody studio to shorten your files without the use of another editor.

BTW, great info!!

HiRoll3r 03-15-2005 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drein
Actually, you can also use the melody studio to shorten your files without the use of another editor.

BTW, great info!!

Yeah, you can change the name to whatever you'd like in Melody Studio, but I like to keep the file names short (i.e. hole.adp) then change it to something more descriptive once I get it on the 7100 (i.e. Head Like a Hole.adp).

Lucky Luciano 03-15-2005 05:20 PM

Oh nice, I didn't even realize that you could edit them from within that program. I'm thinking about setting up a site where people can upload their own ringers to download to their phone. I'm already working on the upload scripts but I'm thinking of maybe having a WAP interface for quick browsing. Anybody have any experience in this department that can point me in the right direction?

romeo0119 03-15-2005 07:56 PM

I succesfully create the file and i upload it to my yahoo brief case and it was uploaded fine. I can even download it off using my computer but when i use the BB browser to go on the same page, the file is not there. Any idea?

***Ok nvm i got it to show up on yahoo briefcase but when i tried to "get link" the file i get error "http error 406:Not acceptable- the page you are trying to load is not supported by the browser.Please try loading a different page."

Right now i have two files on there, one end in .adp ext and the other one end in adpcm extension and both seem not to work. What did i do wrong guys

BTW when i save the file as .adp ext it seem like its a Ms access project file. Is that right?

HiRoll3r 03-15-2005 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeo0119
***Ok nvm i got it to show up on yahoo briefcase but when i tried to "get link" the file i get error "http error 406:Not acceptable- the page you are trying to load is not supported by the browser.Please try loading a different page."

That's happening because Yahoo doesn't have the audio/adpcm MIME type configured (99% of webservers won't). With a lot of rarely-used file extensions, a browser won't know what to do with a file unless the webserver "tells" it what to do. Since Yahoo isn't telling the BB that a .adp file is an adpcm audio file, the BB doesn't know to open it in the media player.

romeo0119 03-15-2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiRoll3r
That's happening because Yahoo doesn't have the audio/adpcm MIME type configured (99% of webservers won't). With a lot of rarely-used file extensions, a browser won't know what to do with a file unless the webserver "tells" it what to do. Since Yahoo isn't telling the BB that a .adp file is an adpcm audio file, the BB doesn't know to open it in the media player.

What server do you use to upload Adp files then?

jibi 03-16-2005 12:32 AM

Basically this is for people who are administrators of their own web server (or atleast have administrative rights to an apache or IIS server) and know how to configure MIME types. For instance, I configured our IIS server for this purpose (although after many failed previous attempts, I was told by RIM that this wasn't possible).

Thanks for the new info. I will test it out tomorrow. Very cool!

jibi 03-16-2005 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Luciano
Oh nice, I didn't even realize that you could edit them from within that program. I'm thinking about setting up a site where people can upload their own ringers to download to their phone. I'm already working on the upload scripts but I'm thinking of maybe having a WAP interface for quick browsing. Anybody have any experience in this department that can point me in the right direction?

Lucky, the best index-creating script I found, although its not WAP/WML, buts its an amazing indexer, is the AutoIndex PHP script - http://autoindex.sourceforge.net

Hope that may help. I don't see why it would need to be WAP/WML but rather stripped down HTML/PHP (and then supported by most updated BBs). :)

romeo0119 03-16-2005 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi
Basically this is for people who are administrators of their own web server (or atleast have administrative rights to an apache or IIS server) and know how to configure MIME types. For instance, I configured our IIS server for this purpose (although after many failed previous attempts, I was told by RIM that this wasn't possible).

So basicly "regular" ppl like us there is no way to upload this and just simply get it on BB browser, what about Wap site, do you think it would work? I tried to do an email attachment, that doesnt work either so i guess emailing is out of the question.

dshearon 03-16-2005 01:52 AM

You are the friggin MAN.... way to stay on top of it.... Did what you said and it worked like a charm..... gunna be up all night making ringtones.

bluejae 03-16-2005 03:01 AM

what does this mean "unsupported media type: application/octet-stream"

emrys01 03-16-2005 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejae
what does this mean "unsupported media type: application/octet-stream"

it means you do not have the proper mime type set on the server you're attempting to download the file from.

simply uploading the .adp file to any ol' web server you have access to is not sufficient. you must have administrative privileges on the web server, so that you can set up the adpcm mime type correctly, in order for it to work.

drein 03-16-2005 08:37 AM

...Is that Led Zepplin 'Kasmir'? No no, that's just my phone ringing!!

:-)

ins0mniaque 03-16-2005 09:45 AM

I have a BB without a Data plan (for now), and I would like new ringtones...

How are the ringtones stored once on the blackberry?

Are they .cod files that could be sent?

Could anyone with an uploaded ringtones could check? ("javaloader -usb dir")

I had a Sanyo SCP 6000 (Skinny) before, and it had a PERFECT classic phone ringtone, people were really thinking if was a real old phone :)

The classic phone ringtone on the BB is utter crap compared.

I'd be so happy if it could be extracted from the cell phone... And we could make easy the download ringtones, sparing Rogers users their precious "unlimited" bandwidth...

Entropy666 03-16-2005 11:14 AM

Not Quite

Quote:

Originally Posted by emrys01
it means you do not have the proper mime type set on the server you're attempting to download the file from.

simply uploading the .adp file to any ol' web server you have access to is not sufficient. you must have administrative privileges on the web server, so that you can set up the adpcm mime type correctly, in order for it to work.

I know this to not be a fact as long as your allowed to add .htaccess files to the directory in question you can add any MIME type you want even if you arent a webmaster. Not only that it is really simple to setup a simple directory structure that even blackberrys will love here let me break it down for you guys.

You create a text file and write in it these following things:
Options +Indexes
addType audio/adpcm adp
The first one allows you to browse the website folders contents and only that folder and the second one adds the mime types for adp simple as that. you can also add these two if you want to be able to upload Jar and Jad files to be able to do over the air downloads:
AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
AddType application/java-archive jar
HOPE THAT HELPS

xombi 03-16-2005 11:26 AM

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone have a link to an example that I could download as I'm curious to hear the difference! :smile:

ins0mniaque 03-16-2005 12:20 PM

Apache for president...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropy666
I know this to not be a fact as long as your allowed to add .htaccess files to the directory in question you can add any MIME type you want even if you arent a webmaster. Not only that it is really simple to setup a simple directory structure that even blackberrys will love here let me break it down for you guys.

Options +Indexes
addType audio/adpcm adp
The first one allows you to browse the website folders contents and only that folder and the second one adds the mime types for adp simple as that. you can also add these two if you want to be able to upload Jar and Jad files to be able to do over the air downloads:
HOPE THAT HELPS

Only if your web server is Apache ( well... if it's not, it should be ;) )

Entropy666 03-16-2005 12:53 PM

True

Quote:

Originally Posted by ins0mniaque
Only if your web server is Apache ( well... if it's not, it should be ;) )

True, Well i run a few dedicated servers so if you guys need a place to post these ringtones i can offer you that. And i dont know many free hosts that dont use apache.

Bratag 03-16-2005 12:56 PM

I have a bunch of rings created. Unfortunately I do not leave my machines up and runnign during the day. If anyone wants them just PM me and I will give you the addr and time you can grab them. Lucky Luciano I believe also offered to host some. Nothing like Rage Againt the Machine - Know Your Enemy screaming out when you get a call.

ins0mniaque 03-16-2005 12:57 PM

Now if someone could just post a "javaloader -usb dir" to see if I can expect having new ringtones...

HiRoll3r 03-16-2005 01:37 PM

Quote:

Now if someone could just post a "javaloader -usb dir" to see if I can expect having new ringtones...

I'm downloading JDK right now to check (have it at home, but I'm at work). I believe that the files are stored as .adp files tho. Since the bandwidth at my office is comparible to dial-up, it could be a while ;)

bluejae 03-16-2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

Options +Indexes
addType audio/adpcm adp
HOPE THAT HELPS

i'm willing to try this but i don't get what you are saying to do... you want me to create a text file with those 2 lines of text in it. then save it as a text file with what name? put i where? does it go in the same directory as the .adp file? if you could please give some more detailed instructions that would be great.

HiRoll3r 03-16-2005 02:01 PM

Quote:

i'm willing to try this but i don't get what you are saying to do... you want me to create a text file with those 2 lines of text in it. then save it as a text file with what name? put i where? does it go in the same directory as the .adp file? if you could please give some more detailed instructions that would be great.

As long as your server is running apache, yes, create that file, name it .htaccess, and save it to the directory where your .adp files are stored.

Entropy666 03-16-2005 02:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah you create a text file with those mime types described before and when you copy it over to the directory of your site you just rename it to .htaccess and it will work. Good luck

bluejae 03-16-2005 02:17 PM

i can't even create a file called ".htaccess" i get the error must type a file name

bluejae 03-16-2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah you create a text file with those mime types described before and when you copy it over to the directory of your site you just rename it to .htaccess and it will work. Good luck

oh... let me try that... =)

Entropy666 03-16-2005 02:21 PM

Yeah

Quote:

oh... let me try that... =)

Thats why i mentioned you have to start it off as a text file and then once you transfer it to your server directory you rename it

bluejae 03-16-2005 02:25 PM

yeah... i was typing and when i posted, the other post with the answer to my question was before mine... sorry about that... so i tried this and it didn't work... the file was essentially named .htaccess.txt is that right? if it is... then i guess my server isn't apache

bluejae 03-16-2005 02:33 PM

doesn't seem like i can get this to work... i tried changing the name to .htaccess and still get the unsupported media type error... i'm using my schools webspace... if that helps anyone help me

ins0mniaque 03-16-2005 02:48 PM

only .htaccess not .htaccess.txt

ins0mniaque 03-16-2005 02:51 PM

Check which web server it is...

Go to http://www.seoconsultants.com/tools/headers.asp
Type the address in the "Check Server Headers" field.
Click "Check Server Headers".
Check the value after "Server: "

bossj52 03-16-2005 02:53 PM

Lucky has been kind enough to host some of the ones I've created thus far.... The difference is incredible.....

bluejae 03-16-2005 04:12 PM

Quote:

Go to http://www.seoconsultants.com/tools/headers.asp
Type the address in the "Check Server Headers" field.
Click "Check Server Headers".
Check the value after "Server: "

i tried whatever that was ... and by the results it seems that the server is apache... but i still can't get it to work

Entropy666 03-16-2005 05:15 PM

Hey Guys Check this out Youll love me

this is a work in progress and if anybody has any other they want on i will be glad to put them up there. I made this as simple as possible just point your blackberry browser at
http://www.viraldesigns.com/ring/
enjoy and tell me if you have any requests

edit: Sorry guys was thinking there would be a bigger response well its up there

bluejae 03-16-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

this is a work in progress and if anybody has any other they want on i will be glad to put them up there. I made this as simple as possible just point your blackberry browser at
http://www.viraldesigns.com/ring/
enjoy and tell me if you have any requests

edit: Sorry guys was thinking there would be a bigger response well its up there

cool how do we go about giving you stuff to stick up there?

izeyah 03-16-2005 05:38 PM

awesome work guys! that was pretty simple. got a song in my phone within 15 min.

i have some web space i could spare if people need some help.

Entropy666 03-16-2005 05:41 PM

Quote:

cool how do we go about giving you stuff to stick up there?

Well i have over 9 gigs of music so you can make some requests or you can email them at [email address]

This can be as big as you guys want it to be There is a 150 gig harddrive on that dedicated server

bluejae 03-16-2005 10:42 PM

i'm trying to use http://webspace.utexas.edu/(my username)... can someone check and look and the results and tell me what i have to do

Lucky Luciano 03-16-2005 10:49 PM

I've been putting ones that are emailed to me here (http://luckyluciano.completelyfreehosting.com/midis/).

I've been trying to make a site where you can upload the ringers yourself, but I can't get these damn upload scripts to work. Whenever I try to upload a file I either get a permission error, or the apache service goes down and has to be restarted. Can somebody point me to a good working uploader script, perhaps one where I can set file size limits, and only allow certain extensions?

veeceeonefive 03-16-2005 11:01 PM

a

got perl or php running on your server? if so, i'll write you the requisite script.

bluejae 03-17-2005 12:01 AM

Quote:

Well i have over 9 gigs of music so you can make some requests or you can email them at [email address]

This can be as big as you guys want it to be There is a 150 gig harddrive on that dedicated server

i've sent you an email with some songs and a request.. hope you got it

Lucky Luciano 03-17-2005 12:01 AM

I've got the latest version of php on the server, but I can put perl on there easily. That'd be sweet if you could write it for me, I definitely appreciate the help.

HiRoll3r 03-17-2005 12:06 AM

I have a *very* basic site set up where users can upload .adp files and then download them to their phone. It's a work in progress. If anyone would like access (you need to log in to upload/download) PM me.

ins0mniaque 03-17-2005 12:18 AM

Poor me!

Anyone tried "javaloader -usb dir" yet?

I'm don't have a data plan with Rogers yet (not until unlimited means more than 25 Mb) and I'd really like to have a couple of ringtones...

bluejae 03-17-2005 01:34 AM

finally i got some ringtones ... thanx hiroll3r... but man... this stuff gets loud on the 7100t... felt the speaker was gonna blow... now where can i get an amp to hook up to this sh*t!

HiRoll3r 03-17-2005 01:46 AM

Quote:

Anyone tried "javaloader -usb dir" yet?

I'm don't have a data plan with Rogers yet (not until unlimited means more than 25 Mb) and I'd really like to have a couple of ringtones...

The ring tones are saved as .adp files. Don't show up in javaloader -usb dir.

veeceeonefive 03-17-2005 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Luciano
I've got the latest version of php on the server, but I can put perl on there easily. That'd be sweet if you could write it for me, I definitely appreciate the help.

php is fine.

i'll post it in a bit.

veeceeonefive 03-17-2005 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
code in attached zip.

open upload.php. edit "http://www.google.com/files/" to the full path to the files on your server, including the surrounding quotes and trailing slash.

upload upload.php to server. if *nix, chmod to 755.

create subdir called /files on server for the tones. if *nix, chmod to 777.

cross your fingers and test it out :P

btw, i take no responsibility for any damage my script causes :D

bluejae 03-17-2005 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veeceeonefive

btw, i take no responsibility for any damage my script causes :D

hahaha

bluejae 03-17-2005 06:28 AM

now that these ringtones work... if there were a way to set it so a certain ringtone for a certain person in the address book would be sweet

pharma1 03-17-2005 04:32 PM

There is no way to assign ring tones to individual callers at this time. I've read on the forums that it can't be done, but I read that there was no support for .adp files and HiRoll3r figured out how to get that working. Funny thing is, I had phones in the past that could do all this stuff but I didn't care. Something about my 7100t makes me want to trick it out.

bluejae 03-17-2005 07:31 PM

Pimp My Ride!

ins0mniaque 03-17-2005 07:36 PM

I hate to repost, but has anyone tried "javaloader -usb dir" yet? plz? ;)

Mancubus 03-17-2005 07:39 PM

Quote:

The ring tones are saved as .adp files. Don't show up in javaloader -usb dir.

ins0mniaque 03-17-2005 08:24 PM

Oh... sorry... my bad :P

Can they be backuped using the Backup / Restore function of the Desktop Manager then?

Doing an Advanced backup, selecting only the ringtones?

emrys01 03-17-2005 09:10 PM

Quote:

I know this to not be a fact as long as your allowed to add .htaccess files to the directory in question you can add any MIME type you want even if you arent a webmaster.

okay, fine:

simply uploading the .adp file to any ol' web server you have access to is not sufficient. IN GENERAL, you must have administrative privileges on the web server, so that you can set up the adpcm mime type correctly, in order for it to work.

happy now? http://www.abestweb.com/smilies/fencing.gif

HiRoll3r 03-17-2005 09:32 PM

Quote:

Oh... sorry... my bad :P

Can they be backuped using the Backup / Restore function of the Desktop Manager then?

Doing an Advanced backup, selecting only the ringtones?

Ringtones don't show up as a seperate database. They are contained in "Content Store," along with pictures and a few other things I can't quite figure out. If I open that file after backing it up, I can see the ringtones. If you're able to extract it from the .ipd file, you may be in luck. Doesn't seem worth the effort tho.

Lucky Luciano 03-17-2005 09:33 PM

I was able to use veeceeonefive's upload script on my webserver so you can test it out if you'd like (link is below).

Right now it's just a work in progress, I will eventually have a library where you can browse all of the files that have been uploaded, maybe giving people the opportunity to upload to certain catagories of ringers. Check it out here http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...tal/upload.php

Let me know if you have any problems. Obviously once this starts looking how I want it to, I'll host it on my own webserver with a smaller domain name so it won't take so long to type into the bb.

You could always just bookmark http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho.../portal/files/ to browse everything that has been uploaded.

veeceeonefive 03-17-2005 09:38 PM

my phone ringtone:
http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...tyourmoney.adp

alarm/calendar:
http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...nsomething.adp

on my bb for no logical reason:
http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...athematics.adp

pharma1 03-17-2005 09:53 PM

Note to self:
HITS_FROM_THE_BONG.adp is NOT the best ringtone to have on when you are in the middle of a company wide meeting. Did get some laughs though.

Lucky Luciano 03-17-2005 09:55 PM

Haha, yeah I found that one out the hard way.

I've got the autoindex script working now. You can now view the files from http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...rtal/index.php

I haven't tried viewing it from my 7100 yet, so if the tables screw it up I'll change it up a bit.

revision78 03-17-2005 10:16 PM

UGH, lamer question. I run Apache at home, i uploaded the file, created my .htaccess file and put it in there, but all i get are funky characters. Any ideas what i could be doing wrong? I've never setup my site to do audio, this is the first time i've ever been interested in it.

emrys01 03-17-2005 10:22 PM

maybe this weekend, i'll get a chance to generate some interesting noises to use for tones, using Atmosphere. i expect some of the patches in there could result in some cool sounds for the phone...

emrys01 03-17-2005 10:24 PM

what are you running on, rev? linux, i presume?

add this line to /etc/mime.types:

audio/adpcm adp

and restart httpd. i did that, instead of mucking with .htaccess, and it works fine.

Lucky Luciano 03-17-2005 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revision78
UGH, lamer question. I run Apache at home, i uploaded the file, created my .htaccess file and put it in there, but all i get are funky characters. Any ideas what i could be doing wrong? I've never setup my site to do audio, this is the first time i've ever been interested in it.

If you run your own apache server, just find your mime.types file and open it with a text editor. The .htaccess file is really only useful for people who don't have administrative access to their webservers. Add "audio/adpcm adp" to the file near the rest of the the audio types. This should fix your problem and make your blackberry view the file as a ringer instead of text.

Feel free to use my uploader script if you don't want to bother with any of that, just upload the file http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...tal/upload.php

revision78 03-17-2005 11:05 PM

*bows to Lucky Luciano*
you made me a very happy camper. Now off to the lappy to make more!!

Thanks again!

jibi 03-18-2005 12:43 AM

yay! i can finally listen to some quality drum & bass clips on my phone. :D

...however, this darn little speaker doesn't have much bass at all. hah.

idencustom 03-18-2005 10:51 PM

www.blackberrytunes.com

http://www.idencustom.com/rings/rings/hopeful.adp

http://www.idencustom.com/rings/rings/50.adp

gocyclones 03-18-2005 10:54 PM

I've just uploaded 8 non-musical tones to Lucky Luciano's site:
http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...rtal/index.php
Most of them are pretty small and as most of the adp files are LOUD!

youve_got_mail.adp 7.0 KB
weatherwarning.adp 20.5 KB
phone_ring_3x.adp 121.6 KB
pager2.adp 15.1 KB
pager.adp 16.0 KB
jetsons2.adp 23.7 KB
cordless_phone.adp 16.8 KB
classic_phone_ring.adp 32.3 KB

Matt

maxspeed 03-18-2005 11:16 PM

Wow!!! Awesome work, I love my new ringer. Can we email you ringers we create?

gocyclones 03-18-2005 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxspeed
Wow!!! Awesome work, I love my new greenday ringer. Can we email you ringers we create? I have Canned Heat - Going Country ready and I'll be staying up late making more tonight too.

Just use the upload script:
http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...tal/upload.php

It's very quick...it only took me a couple of minutes to upload all of the ones I made.

Matt

mkmpanic 03-18-2005 11:58 PM

anyone have a variety of "basic" rings? i am looking for something that wont turn heads in a meeting. i cant seem to find any online that are professional in nature.

jibi 03-19-2005 03:45 AM

Quote:

maybe this weekend, i'll get a chance to generate some interesting noises to use for tones, using Atmosphere.

you produce? atmosphere is definitely a VST, although quite a bit bulky - six CDs, if i'm not mistaken? trilogy delivers some HEAVY basslines.

maxspeed 03-19-2005 04:54 AM

Let's go crazy! I've uploaded 7 so far and I see I'm not the only one. Be warned, southparkxmas is x-rated. Most of mine will be 70's classic rock and I will take requests for that genre.

Mark Rejhon 03-19-2005 04:58 AM

Excellent breakthrough, with actual working voice ringtones downloadable TODAY.

I've stickied this very popular thread...

Note: Please, remember to respect the copyright of the original ringtones. I suspect that short excerpts, snippets, quotes, briefs are generally okay (like a reporter doing a brief 2-sentence quote from another article, or a fan posting a screenshot or a few brief movie quotes from a movie on a fan/review website which is often generally okay and not frowned on by the studios, as fair reporting), but please doublecheck that there is no legal trouble about 5-second snippets of copyrighted music, as a ringtone download. Also, BlackBerryForums disclaim all responsibility for all the ringtone links in this thread. If anybody from the movie/music industry sees a clear copyright violation of their own work, please contact me by PM and I'll be happy to remove the link from the thread. If anybody from the industry or Research In Motion would like to clarify things about ringtones, please feel free to contact me to clear things up.

maxspeed 03-19-2005 05:19 AM

I suppose you have a very valid point Mark and I won't upload anymore after tongiht until I read a response concerning copyright laws. I'm just having fun playing with all the new toys. 8-)

Quote:

Note: Please, remember to respect the copyright of the original ringtones. I suspect that short excerpts, snippets, quotes, briefs are generally okay (like a reporter doing a brief 2-sentence quote from another article, or a fan posting a screenshot or a few brief movie quotes from a movie on a fan/review website which is often generally okay and not frowned on by the studios, as fair reporting), but please doublecheck that there is no legal trouble about 5-second snippets of copyrighted music, as a ringtone download. Also, BlackBerryForums disclaim all responsibility for all the ringtone links in this thread. If anybody from the movie/music industry sees a clear copyright violation of their own work, please contact me by PM and I'll be happy to remove the link from the thread. If anybody from the industry or Research In Motion would like to clarify things about ringtones, please feel free to contact me to clear things up.

HiRoll3r 03-19-2005 09:20 AM

OK, I've flip-flopped again. Site is reopened til someone else decides to host my script on their site. Currently talking to 2 people about doing so. My site may only be open for a couple of days, may be a week.

www.hiroll3r.com/ringtones

bluejae 03-19-2005 11:59 AM

Quote:

www.hiroll3r.com/ringtones (now open to the public!)

If I have to shut it down, I have to shut it down. Spent to much time today "learning" php to not test this out ;). Still needs a lot of work, as you can tell.

i saw the new format... nice... but my account is gone... do i have to reregister? and sometimes i make a mistake on uploading but i can't delete what i have uploaded... is there a way around that...

and this one is for the people who have the sites up... is there anyway to sample the tones without going through with the bb browser? i mean those rings on the http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...rtal/index.php site seem cool but going through each one will take forever... and a simple description like "150" or "aint" doesn't really tell much

emale 03-19-2005 03:23 PM

Nice find HiRoll3r!

Thank you.

SaV 03-19-2005 04:31 PM

Anyone want to do Rage Against the Machine- Renegades of Funk?

BTW, hiroll3r right on for the opening theme for Naruto!

idencustom 03-19-2005 04:35 PM

http://www.vodaberry.com/7100.htm

Submit any song and its turned into a ringtone and sent to you. Load mp3's if you want, it will then be converted and hosted for you.

HiRoll3r 03-19-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

i saw the new format... nice... but my account is gone... do i have to reregister? and sometimes i make a mistake on uploading but i can't delete what i have uploaded... is there a way around that...

and this one is for the people who have the sites up... is there anyway to sample the tones without going through with the bb browser? i mean those rings on the http://luckyluciano.completelyfreeho...rtal/index.php site seem cool but going through each one will take forever... and a simple description like "150" or "aint" doesn't really tell much

Well, at this moment you can't delete what you've uploaded. The unmodified version of that script tied the user name to the uploaded file, and you were able to delete or edit your own files. However, I ditched their upload script and wrote my own, and I haven't really looked into how to get my script to attach the user name to the file. But, my script forces you to enter an artist and song title, which makes the file names a lot more descriptive. If you upload "150.adp," enter "theme" as artist and "sanford and son" as the title, it'll rename the file to "Theme - Sanford and Son.adp" and move it to the S-Z directory. So it's a trade off at this point.

As for previewing a ringtone, it's really difficult since I can't even find a Windows application that'll play them. And I'm not about to reencode every file and list it twice.

chuy 03-19-2005 05:33 PM

Yeah, I have a 7520, and I've been trying this and getting frustrated....

It must only work on the charms, eh?

idencustom 03-19-2005 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuy
Yeah, I have a 7520, and I've been trying this and getting frustrated....

It must only work on the charms, eh?

Correct. 7520 is only for midi's.

chuy 03-19-2005 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idencustom
Correct. 7520 is only for midi's.

Thant's kinda disappointing... Any idea whether it might have to do with lack of support for html? The error I keep seeing is "HTTP Error 406: Not Acceptable."

mobilehavoc 03-19-2005 05:57 PM

AWESOME! This breathes new life into my 7100g...Thanks to the profiles, I have an "annoying" profile for these ringtones since I wouldn't dare use any of these at work at the risk of being mobbed by my colleagues.

So far I have "redalert" for Level 1 messages and "You've got mail" for regular messages.

Did anyone else notice that these things play LOUDD!!!!! on the 7100? I was kinda blown away at first

HiRoll3r 03-19-2005 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
AWESOME! This breathes new life into my 7100g...Thanks to the profiles, I have an "annoying" profile for these ringtones since I wouldn't dare use any of these at work at the risk of being mobbed by my colleagues.

So far I have "redalert" for Level 1 messages and "You've got mail" for regular messages.

Did anyone else notice that these things play LOUDD!!!!! on the 7100? I was kinda blown away at first

Yeah, they are a bit loud. And since the volume difference between "medium" and "high" on the BB is huge, you're kinda stuck with really loud ringtones. On medium I can barely hear them, on high they can be a *little* too loud.

Eric5273 03-19-2005 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
"You've got mail" for regular messages.

I assume this is like the AOL guy saying "you've got mail"?

Can you post this one? I would like to download this and use it since I use my blackberry for AOL mail.

idencustom 03-19-2005 08:13 PM

www.idencustom.com/rings/rings/mail.adp

jibi 03-19-2005 08:34 PM

Quote:

But having the statement "MP3/CD-quality voice ringtones" is a bit misleading. You are an audiophile, c'mon. haha. this is nowhere near MP3 quality much less CD-quality (perhaps a 32kbps mp3, at best).

Quote:

but please doublecheck that there is no legal trouble about 5-second snippets of copyrighted music, as a ringtone download.

If you live in America, I would advise not to put up a site with the downloads. Full audio ringtones offered over the net would actually violate copyright laws, in addition to the DMCA directly (and likely some newer, less vague laws).

Quote:

Also, BlackBerryForums disclaim all responsibility for all the ringtone links in this thread.

You all are already excluded from any legal liability of postings here (unless its yourself who is making the post). The forum membership agreement states "All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message."

Quote:

If anybody from the movie/music industry sees a clear copyright violation of their own work, please contact me by PM and I'll be happy to remove the link from the thread.[/i]

As an online forum, you are technically designated as an OSP (online service provider), and the proper, LEGAL protocol (in America, atleast) for the MPAA, the RIAA, etc. to approach you (BBF.com/BBC.com) concerning copyrighted material, links to copyrighted material, etc. is to mail (should be postal with an official letterhead, either of the company, the organization, or their lawyers) requesting the removal of said copyrighted material and/or link to copyrighted material.

Hope that helps out a bit.. I had a pretty good friend go to federal prison a few years back for modchips (you may have read about it in the news, but i won't mention names), but his forum and website were the main focus of the investigation and the motivation of the other charges (you know, like Al Capone was charged with tax evasion because they couldn't pin him for the far worse charges) - he pretty much summarized it quite well about what his responsibilities were and what liabilities he was protected from. I don't think laws concerning forums and online communities have changed much over the last few years in the liability sense...

idencustom 03-19-2005 08:45 PM

This last post is very true. I wont even begin to speak about all the cases i have had with dealing with Nextel and ringtones.....

Basically... without artist permission... blah blah blah... hence why some providers do not provide mp3 ringtones... at least not anything worth listening to... they dont want to pay artist royalites.

I once asked Fabolous (yes, that's how he spells it) how much he gets from Nextel... he said as much as 5 to 10 cents.... (amazing since the ringtones costs .99).

emrys01 03-19-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

you produce? atmosphere is definitely a VST, although quite a bit bulky - six CDs, if i'm not mistaken? trilogy delivers some HEAVY basslines.

well, trilogy was 5, IIRC, so that's not much better! ;)

haven't really used atmosphere yet, since my band's really just basic rock'n'roll, but i've been thinking about doing an ambient CD, and selling it at the spa my wife works at...

i think it'll make for some interesting noizes...

emrys01 03-19-2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

www.hiroll3r.com/ringtones (now open to the public!)

If I have to shut it down, I have to shut it down. Spent to much time today "learning" php to not test this out ;). Still needs a lot of work, as you can tell.

needs a login/password?

emrys01 03-19-2005 09:49 PM

Quote:

But having the statement "MP3/CD-quality voice ringtones" is a bit misleading. You are an audiophile, c'mon. haha. this is nowhere near MP3 quality much less CD-quality (perhaps a 32kbps mp3, at best).

wow, yeah... no kidding! mark, you definitely got a little, um, exuberant with that description! when i just now popped in to see what was new, and saw that thread title, i got all excited... "wow, someone figured out 44.1k rates, now?!? kewl!!"

HiRoll3r 03-19-2005 10:04 PM

Quote:

needs a login/password?

Well, I've shut it down for now at least. I figured that I don't need to draw the attention of the RIAA just so some people can download ringtones. The site will still be up, but just for my use and a few others. If anyone wants the scripts to host a site of their own, let me know. I think it worked great (auto sorted and renamed files based on artist name and title). Just needs a bit more tweaking.

HiRoll3r 03-19-2005 10:08 PM

Quote:

wow, yeah... no kidding! mark, you definitely got a little, um, exuberant with that description! when i just now popped in to see what was new, and saw that thread title, i got all excited... "wow, someone figured out 44.1k rates, now?!? kewl!!"

Everything sounds like garbage on the BB speaker anyway, so even if we were able to play higher quality audio files it wouldn't make any difference.