BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Signal Location utility for Blackberry BETA... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=142672)

RemyJ 08-06-2008 12:12 PM

[quote=Sith_Apprentice;1048698]The exporting doesnt seem to work for me. Google Earth keeps giving me errors.
Quote:

Parse error at line 7, column 11:
not well formed (invalid token)

Using 1754
Can you post (or pm) me the file?

Sith_Apprentice 08-06-2008 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=RemyJ;1048714]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 1048698)
The exporting doesnt seem to work for me. Google Earth keeps giving me errors.

Can you post (or pm) me the file?

two files.

RemyJ 08-06-2008 12:39 PM

[quote=Sith_Apprentice;1048758]
Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1048714)

two files.

Rats. It's the "&" in AT&T. I'll fix the code but in the mean time, you can just do a global replace "AT&T" to "AT&T".

Sith_Apprentice 08-06-2008 12:45 PM

Thank you for the quick response :)

Update: It puts me at 0,0 lat/lon on all my locations lol

fonejunkie 08-06-2008 12:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, thanks for the tip on the AT&T/AT&T fix. I got the file to load in Google Maps (desktop browser version), but there is something wrong with the GPS coordinates... it's sticking my cell towers in the Atlantic Ocean, just off the coast of Africa (south of Ghana and west of Gabon), instead of in the Phoenix AZ metro area...

I have also verified that this explains the issue that I mentioned above with regard to getting nothing on my Google Maps app on the my 8310. If I zoom out on the 8310 Google Maps, I eventually see the same thing - a cell tower in the middle of the Atlantic off the coast of Africa.

fonejunkie 08-06-2008 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one other request. Could you either rearrange the menu for exporting the cell towers to move the EXPORT ALL TO FILE away from DELETE ALL and/or add a confirmation prior to deleting all? More than one time I have wiped out my list of cell towers by being 'too quick' on the menu.

Avernar 08-06-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1047356)
You already have the option to log cell sites as they change, and your location when you've travelled a specified distance. Not enough?

I was only looking at the saved cell site data which didn't have what I wanted (no location). Just looked at the saved location data and you did include the cell tower and signal strength in each location. Perfect!

A nice to have would be an option to save the location every X amount of minutes in addition to the existing distance. If you haven't moved the specified distance in that time it would take another location snapshot and reset the timer. If you have moved the distance then the timer would reset to 0 again.

This way you could average out the signal strength at a location and remove any anomalous readings.

RemyJ 08-06-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 1048806)
Thank you for the quick response :)

Update: It puts me at 0,0 lat/lon on all my locations lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonejunkie (Post 1048821)
OK, thanks for the tip on the AT&T/AT&T fix. I got the file to load in Google Maps (desktop browser version), but there is something wrong with the GPS coordinates... it's sticking my cell towers in the Atlantic Ocean, just off the coast of Africa (south of Ghana and west of Gabon), instead of in the Phoenix AZ metro area...

I have also verified that this explains the issue that I mentioned above with regard to getting nothing on my Google Maps app on the my 8310. If I zoom out on the 8310 Google Maps, I eventually see the same thing - a cell tower in the middle of the Atlantic off the coast of Africa.

Not reading the Readme I guess. :)
Only CDMA networks provide cell site location.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonejunkie (Post 1048843)
I have one other request. Could you either rearrange the menu for exporting the cell towers to move the EXPORT ALL TO FILE away from DELETE ALL and/or add a confirmation prior to deleting all? More than one time I have wiped out my list of cell towers by being 'too quick' on the menu.

Will do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avernar (Post 1048870)
I was only looking at the saved cell site data which didn't have what I wanted (no location). Just looked at the saved location data and you did include the cell tower and signal strength in each location. Perfect!

A nice to have would be an option to save the location every X amount of minutes in addition to the existing distance. If you haven't moved the specified distance in that time it would take another location snapshot and reset the timer. If you have moved the distance then the timer would reset to 0 again.

This way you could average out the signal strength at a location and remove any anomalous readings.

That makes sense. I'll add the option.

Sith_Apprentice 08-06-2008 03:30 PM

I was talking about the GPS export data when imported to Google Earth puts me off the coast of Africa at 0,0

RemyJ 08-06-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 1049079)
I was talking about the GPS export data when imported to Google Earth puts me off the coast of Africa at 0,0

Sorry. You're exporting LOCATIONS and it's 0,0? I thought you were talking about cell sites.

Checking...

tbhuang2 08-06-2008 04:10 PM

In addition to when the program won't start unless GPS is on:
If the program is running in the background and I disable GPS, attempting to return to SignalLoc results in an almost frozen BB. This happens whether or not the "...except when it has an invalid location" option is checked.

One request--allow the option for a prefix when exporting all to a file. For example, an option for [current date]-[current time]-[user input].kml Oh and that includes adding the .kml for us, if it isn't too much trouble!

RemyJ 08-06-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1049083)
Sorry. You're exporting LOCATIONS and it's 0,0? I thought you were talking about cell sites.

Checking...

Sith, I can't reproduce this for locations. Again, can you post the file? The 2 you posted earlier were cell site exports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhuang2 (Post 1049145)
In addition to when the program won't start unless GPS is on:
If the program is running in the background and I disable GPS, attempting to return to SignalLoc results in an almost frozen BB. This happens whether or not the "...except when it has an invalid location" option is checked.

One request--allow the option for a prefix when exporting all to a file. For example, an option for [current date]-[current time]-[user input].kml Oh and that includes adding the .kml for us, if it isn't too much trouble!

Yep, there's a deadlock somewhere. I'm looking at it. Question, why do you turn location services off? Paranoia? It doesn't save battery since the GPS itself is only active when there's a program using it.

I'll add current date and time and a dialog for user specified data. And yes, I'll start adding the ".kml" extension for the typing challenged. :)

tbhuang2 08-06-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1049237)
It doesn't save battery since the GPS itself is only active when there's a program using it.

Orly... I guess it just my wrong intuition. Thanks for the info!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1049237)
And yes, I'll start adding the ".kml" extension for the typing challenged. :)

Hey now, it's just standard file saving protocol! Personally, I would hate having to add ".doc" to every word document I write. Thanks for this addition ;-)

fonejunkie 08-06-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemyJ (Post 1049036)
Not reading the Readme I guess. :)
Only CDMA networks provide cell site location.

Guilty :oops:

But that sort of renders this app useless for GSM folks, eh? Too bad, this had a lot of potential... :?

RemyJ 08-06-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonejunkie (Post 1049321)
Guilty :oops:

But that sort of renders this app useless for GSM folks, eh? Too bad, this had a lot of potential... :?

That's what you get for being on inferior technology. :razz:

Still you can use it to record YOUR location and the signal strength and base station encountered.

shwemp 08-08-2008 08:29 PM

Thanks RemyJ. Very handy app for gathering info.

altitude604 08-10-2008 09:18 PM

I installed it on my 8703e... I try to execute it, the screen goes white and then back to my Homescreen.

Here's the error log:

Name: NullPointerException
Severity: Sever Error

No detail message
signalloc
Worker
setGpsLocationListener
0x50BE
signalloc
Worker
<init>
0x546F
signalloc
Worker
startup
0x5510
signalloc
SignalLocScreen
run
0x4328
net_rim_cldc-4
Application
dispatchInvokeLater
0x7E3
net_rim_cldc-4
Application
processNextMessage
0xEF7
net_rim_cldc-4
Application
enterEventDispatcher
0x788
signalloc
SignalLoc
startup0x3E33
signalloc
SignalLoc
main
0x3E83

it looks like a cool app... would love it work. or maybe i've done something wrong?

tbhuang2 08-10-2008 09:24 PM

altitude604, that's exactly what happens to me if I try opening the program without having GPS enabled. If your GPS is in fact enabled, then sorry, but I have no advice for you.

RemyJ 08-10-2008 09:30 PM

I'll have a new release out in the morning that should fix that.

altitude604 08-10-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhuang2 (Post 1054493)
altitude604, that's exactly what happens to me if I try opening the program without having GPS enabled. If your GPS is in fact enabled, then sorry, but I have no advice for you.

my LBS is enabled... unless there's some other setting I have to toggle?

but afaik everything should be ready to go...