BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   whats the diff between 8300 / 8310? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=115926)

Shaun 02-12-2008 12:34 PM

I believe the 8310 comes in a Scarlet Red color... Go Buckeyes!

JSanders 02-12-2008 12:35 PM

bbkat, only the 8310 Curve comes with built-in GPS. Correct that your 8300 does not. The 8300 does have the capability for GPS, through a Bluetooth connection.

Please watch your billing from AT&T and make certain you don't get charged.

DallasFlier 02-12-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbkat (Post 832524)
No, I can use the TeleNav MAPS service just fine.

One of the first things I did when I got my Curve was get directions from my house to my job and looked at the turn-by-turn directions and map. I even looked at map areas where my brother lives in Michigan.

When I click the TeleNav icon it opens just fine. I have options to "Get Directions", "View maps", "Preferences" and "Premium Nav:GPS & Voice". Premium Nav is the only thing I can't use because I have to pay for it.

Yes, you can use "TeleNav Maps" free and get turn-by-turn directions without GPS. What you don't get is moving maps, and prompts for WHEN the next turn is coming up, because without GPS it doesn't know where you are at. The TeleNav site explains it this way, "Using mapping services is basically like printing out directions from Mapquest." Think about it - going to mapquest.com on your computer will give you turn-by-turn directions with a map too - and your computer has no GPS. But mapquest - and your BB without GPS - has no idea WHERE on that route you're at at any given moment, if you're on it at all.

AT&T explains the difference here (not real well I think): Location-based services | AT&T wireless services
and TeleNav explains it here (but kinda confusing since they refer to "Google Maps" vs. their own, which is an app they provide only to AT&T): Navigating Life

NaplesBill 02-13-2008 10:59 AM

I use my 8300 with Google Maps and it uses triangulation to determine my position. While it's not as accurate as a GPS I can easily figure out where I am in relation to the destination and it will give me the turn by turn as well. Best of all it doesn't cost anything to use it.

JSanders 02-13-2008 11:05 AM

It is pretty cool... yes.

As long as you get a fairly close tower location on GMM, you are cool.

DallasFlier 02-13-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaplesBill (Post 833868)
I use my 8300 with Google Maps and it uses triangulation to determine my position. While it's not as accurate as a GPS I can easily figure out where I am in relation to the destination and it will give me the turn by turn as well. Best of all it doesn't cost anything to use it.

Yep, it is pretty cool how they do that with cell tower triangulation. By the way, "triangulation" is exactly how GPS works too, just with a WHOLE lot more accuracy, since the signals and data from the satellites were designed for such purposes.

Free is free, no doubt - but I'd strongly recommend to everyone to take the 30 day free trial of full TeleNav. $10 a month is really inexpensive, in my book, and it is so useful that over 90% of those who try it end up subscribing. Here's a great example of how its indispensable to me - at night, when I'm coming up on a turn from a major, busy street to a specific side street, it sure is nice to watch the thing count down from .5 miles to .2 miles to .1 miles to 493 ft to 247 ft to 29 ft as I approach the correct side street. No more trying to slow down on a busy street with lots of traffic in an attempt to read street signs because you know you have to turn on ONE of these several side streets, but have no real idea which one until you can read the street sign. As nifty and technically cool as the cell-tower triangulation is, its not going to get you that.

DacyJ 02-14-2008 11:03 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

< Has a crimson OU sooners 8310