Give a man a fish....he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish....he eats for a lifetime.
1. They are dual purposebirds, meaning that they are large chickens with excellent meat properties aswell as great egg layers too. Adult hens reach a weight of around 8 lbs,roosters can grow well over 10 lbs
2.They are very calm and love human companionship…. they are the most laid backchickens I have known! They are noteasily frightened. They are curious chickens who love to hang out with thepeople when they are free ranging in the yard.They are docile and make excellent pets around children. Even the roosters are mild mannered andrespect kids as well as adults. Bielefelders are an excellent choice if youhave children around or like to cuddle with your chickens. You will hearstories on the internet of how toddlers can take the eggs out from underBielefelder hens without being pecked. Although I don’t have any grandkids totest this out on, I fully suspect that it is true. They are an ideal choice forfirst time chicken owners to professional poultry men alike.
3. They are beautiful birds….just check out the pictures! These are the actual parents of the eggs thatyou will receive from my breeding flock. My birds are large, quiet, stately birds. They arebig boned, fluffy, and very gentle. Thecolor is called Cuckoo Crele. They aregorgeous birds and they make excellent “Chicken Eye Candy” in the yard. Theroosters remind me of me when I am lounging around on the weekend in my plaidlounge pants, tie dye Tee, and flannel shirt….kinda Bohemian if you ask me….butchic at the same time!
4. These birds grow amazingly fast, maturing early…mine get to be 4lb fryers inonly 14 weeks. They are hefty enough for meat but have none of the leg andjoint problems associated with some of the factory type meat birds.
5. They are prolific layers….laying 200+ Big brown eggs per year. The egg color willvary in different shades of beige, light brown,dark chocolate brown, and some even have speckles. My first pullet to lay, had her first egg 3days before her 6 month birthday! The majorityof the girls were laying strong by 7 months.Bielefelders are hardy birds, young hens typically lay throughout theWinter too.
6. AND BEST OF ALL, THEY ARE A TRUE AUTO SEXING BREED. You can visually sex the cockerels from thepullets the moment that they are out of the egg. You will know at hatch time ifyou have hens or roosters. This can be a real plus for people who live inthe city.
The pale colored ones arethe boys and the chipmunk striped chicks are the girls. And unlike some sexing breeds,the Bielefelder is still sexable even when they feather out and shed theirnewborn “baby fuzz”. Think of the hasslethat this eliminates! And unlike the Hybrid Sex Linked chicks that hatcheriespromote, (sex linked breeds are sexable at birth only for the first generation).The Auto Sexing characteristic is in the DNA, and will continue on intoperpetuity as long as you do not cross your Bielefelders with other chickenbreeds!!!! BIELEFELDERS HAVE IT ALL!!!!
NOTE ABOUT WINTER/EARLY SPRING EGG AVAILABILITY: Although I sell and ship hatching eggs year round (been doing it for years), there is always an increased interest in eggs when Spring truly kicks in and the weather turns nice again. Many folks look to set eggs during this season and postpone their egg purchases until the buds appear on the trees.
Please realize that this might not only be your thought process, BUT IT IS MINE ALSO! That is when I will be excitedly re-firing up my GQF Sportsman 1502 incubator and setting eggs for my own 2021hatching season.
In past years, I have found that right about the time egg demand and sale offerding gets rocking, is EXACTLY the time that I have fewer eggs available to offer for sale to the public.
You know what they say about the Early Bird and the Worm thing…...
Consequently, in order to avoid disappointment, it might be prudent for you to seriously consider my Winter/Early Spring egg sales while the getting’ is good.Just sayin’…..