BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
mattman

Model: none
Default 8700g vs. treo 700p

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently a Verizon user and am considering a Verizon Treo 700p or moving to T Mobile and getting an 8700g. I travel to Europe on business about 4 times a year. I have the need to view Office docs and PDF's. And I'm going to be syncing with a new MacBook. I've read so much on each product that I've arrived at the space of totally confused. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Matt.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
phillyslickster
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: 242a22a7
Carrier: T-Mobile

If you have T-Mobile service, you can use it overseas since you travel internationally 4 times a year. You can download PocketMac to synmc your BB to your Mac computer. You can view docs and pdfs on your 8700g. Yet, you cannot create a doc on your 8700g as you can on the Treo 700p. The Treo 700p also offers a camera, sd slot, mp3 player, whereas the 8700g does not. Be sure to check coverage to make sure that T-Mobile service will work in other areas where you live, work, and travel nationally as well. You won't have any issue using T-Mobile internationally. If you know anyone with a T-Mobile 8700g, maybe they'll let you use it and that way you can see how you like the device versus the Treo 700p. Yet, I must tell you that BB devices are a much more stable product than the Treo. Like I said, it depends on if you want the mp3 player and the other extras that I mentioned above, as well as how the service with T-Mobile works in your area.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
HuwSy

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Iv not had my Bb crash of its own cause, i have managed to kill it but thats different, so it is more solid than a palm but will take a few minutes to boot up unlike a palm which is about quarter the time in my experience.

A palm will alow creating and editing and syncronising office documents, and reading acrobat files. Whereas the Bb only alows reading ones emailed to you or that youv downloaded accross the net.

But the bigest thing is that the treo 700p and 700w are both CDMA devices whereas the 8700g is a GSM device. I know here in the UK all the operators are GSM.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman
I'm currently a Verizon user and am considering a Verizon Treo 700p or moving to T Mobile and getting an 8700g. I travel to Europe on business about 4 times a year. I have the need to view Office docs and PDF's. And I'm going to be syncing with a new MacBook. I've read so much on each product that I've arrived at the space of totally confused. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Matt.
I WAS a Palm user for so many years I cannot count (since the very first Palmpilot)....it was the first system after all. BUT...their operating system is old and unstable now. After having to reboot my 4th Treo 650 all the time...I gave up. The phone is a quality-control disaster that is made very cheaply. I switched to a BB8700g...it is bright, very very fast, and so solid in the way it operates that the only thing I wish is that I would have done this sooner. I'm on T-mobile and I get off the plane overseas and it just works everywhere.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
h-town8
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I have just completed an odessy of exploring wireless providers and phones. I've finally settled on the 8700g with T-Mobile. I am moving from Verizon and the Treo 700P.

The 700P is an outstanding phone. As an upgrade to the Treo 650 though, it was anticlimactic. Other than better phone quality (could actually hear people), some more memory, and a couple of other gadgets, I just didn't see that big of a difference. In fact the OS seemed a little bit... not so much "sluggish", but delayed a bit when changing programs. Not enough to make me return the phone though.

What DID make me return the phone was problems I was having with the Verizon service itself. I won't go into all the details; I just couldn't get caller ID info to display on two different phones. It was something quirky. Another catalyst for me though was the price. For 1350 minutes and unlimited data on the Treo 700p the cost was $109 plus taxes, plus $2.99 for some text messages. So in the end my bill would've been $130+.

So I went to T-Mobile. First, my plan is 1500 anytime minutes plus unlimited data for $80; I added 400 text messages for $5, so my bill will be under $100.

As far as the 8700g itself, I love it. It definitely takes a little getting used to because it doesn't have a 5-way navigation pad, and no touch screen. But the OS is very snappy, e-mail setup couldn't have been any easier, and the voice quality is very good.

I have only used the handset here in Houston; I too will travel a lot so am interested to see how it will perform across the country. My company has a T-mobile account though an no one reports any problems.

In short, the Treo 700p just has a lot of things that I won't use. I don't care about a crappy camera, video recorder, watching TV on my cell phone, or really even browsing the internet that much other than maybe to find a restaurant or map when I'm out and about. What I DO want/need is solid PIM, e-mail, and most of all a phone. So far the 8700g has delivered; it's a perfect fit for what I need.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
mattman

Default Non-enterprise email questions

Thanks for the input. I can do without the editing / creating capability in terms of Office apps, but I'm wondering about the 8700g's ability to accuratly render files like pdfs, word docs, etc.

Also, I'm not going to be using an enterprise server, but will be using 6 different POP accounts. Is the BB still a robust email device if not using their server? And will I be able to send out from the BB on the different accounts, or will everything show up as from the BB?

Finally, I'm getting that syncing with my Mac will not be a problem.

Thanks again - the input has been incredibly valuable.

Matt.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
phillyslickster

The emailing is great. Yes, you can choose to have your email sent from any of the 6 email accounts that you have set up. Remember, the BB allows you 10 emails that you can set up. There are separate envelopes set up on your home screen for each of your email accounts that you have set up. You should check out a live 8700g handset at your local store.

Yes, you can view the files with no problem. I get word, excel, and pdf docs from work all of the time and I view them on my 8700g. Personally, I enjoy this BB and I've been using BB devices for 4 years now.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman
Thanks for the input. I can do without the editing / creating capability in terms of Office apps, but I'm wondering about the 8700g's ability to accuratly render files like pdfs, word docs, etc.

Also, I'm not going to be using an enterprise server, but will be using 6 different POP accounts. Is the BB still a robust email device if not using their server? And will I be able to send out from the BB on the different accounts, or will everything show up as from the BB?

Finally, I'm getting that syncing with my Mac will not be a problem.

Thanks again - the input has been incredibly valuable.

Matt.
I too have no problem viewing attached files (pdf, word, etc) and I would guess this is done on their server (T-mobile) since I am not on a BES, just an individual account (BIS). I have 4 email accounts and it great how its all divided out each with its own icon, but they are all together in one if you prefer. My emails out show up as coming from my specific accounts. Good luck...I suspect you will love the change over the Treo.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
phillyslickster

I have the 8700g with T-Mobile and I can view word, pdf, excel with no problem at all and I use BIS.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
mattman

Default Coverage / quality of reception

Again - thanks for the repliies. Final question is about coverage and voice quality on the phone. Most of my business is in the Southwest (CA and AZ) and in the Northeast (NYC, DC and Boston). The T Mobile maps indicate that those areas are covered, yet I'm seeing some reports that compared to Verizon, T-Mobile voice quality has more static and there are more dropped calls. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who travels or lives in these areas.
Thanks - Matt.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #11
cfaherty

Model: 8700c

Attachment support has been awesome on my 8700c. Not sure how it all works, but when you view attachments it is done in an incremental download. You get a table of contents of the document and you can grab the whole thing, or just pieces that you are interested. PDFs will show page thumbnails and you can zoom up on them and add visual detail as needed. It's really been slick. You get access to all of the email attachments without the need to download ones you never planned on reading anyways.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #12
Wishdemon

I travel between the DC and NYC area and have had fantastic voice/data coverage in both areas. I have the 8700g on t-mo with BIS.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:42 AM   #13
HuwSy

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Just noticed you wouldnt be able to use a 700p in europe, its a CDMA based phone and all of europe is GSM. So by that youd need a treo 650 and not the 700p or 700w. So decision made i think.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #14
h-town8

For what it's worth, I've been with the 8700g for about a week now and have been able to talk to people in places where I could NOT with the 700p and Verizon. (in Houston).

Specifically, with the 700p the second I pulled into our company's parking garage I'd get static and then the call would drop. No problems whatsoever with the 8700g; not a single dropped call this week in and around Houston.

I personally have not yet tested the 8700g/T-Mobile outside of Houston, but we have a T-Mobile corporate account and a lot of business travelers, and I haven't heard of any issues with T-Mobile (of course most have other devices but the service itself has apparently been solid).
Old 07-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #15
asnpcwiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyslickster
I have the 8700g with T-Mobile and I can view word, pdf, excel with no problem at all and I use BIS.
Can I ask you what you use to view word, pdf, or excel documents? I can't seem to view them at all. I don't get an option to open then.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #16
jdjleo

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnpcwiz
Can I ask you what you use to view word, pdf, or excel documents? I can't seem to view them at all. I don't get an option to open then.
Go to your Desktop manager and make sure you have BlackBerry Attatchments selected first of all. That will allow you to view .pdf not sure about w0rd or exc3l
The New at&t
Old 07-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #17
asnpcwiz

Hmmm...I don't see that in the Desktop Manager anywhere. Can someone tell me exactly where I might be able to find this?!?
Closed Thread