BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 AM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default UPDATED! FAQ, Software, Upgrade, Ringtones, Themes, Internet, IM, Modem, Tips, Tricks

Please Login to Remove!

Mark Rejhon's Big BlackBerry FAQ List
Quote:
IMPORTANT:
For deciding where to post your question or message, see:
Read This Before Posting
This sticky is a hyperlink list to "Big Helpful Threads" that I (or others) have posted:
  • Why BlackBerry?
    A good thread that covers some of the real reasons many people prefer to use a BlackBerry over multimedia handhelds running PalmOS/PocketPC such as Treo/iPaq handhelds.

• BlackBerry Glossary
    Are you dizzy? Lost in alphabet soup? What the heck is BES? MDS? APN? Push Email? GSM? CDMA? PIN? This article is a lifesaver!

• BlackBerry Myths Busted: The Modern 2005-era BlackBerry
    This document busts many old myths of BlackBerries, by showcasing BlackBerry technology advancements, including bright color screen, purposes other than email, wide software selection, ability to do Internet applications, instant messaging, and more. Screenshots included!

• What Are The Methods of Receiving Email On BlackBerry?
    This describes the several possible methods of getting email onto a BlackBerry, for both push email and non-push email, including BWC email, POP email, forwarded email, BlackBerry Redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

• BlackBerry Killer Software Thread
    A good listing of favourite BlackBerry software is in this thread. If you are getting started on BlackBerry, and want to know some software to try, see this thread!

• Blackberry Tips and Tricks, Keyboard Shortcuts
    Useful information about the many key shortcuts available on BlackBerry. Including the keypress shortcut that allows you to multitask multiple applications on a BlackBerry.

• Blackberry Calendar Tricks
    Useful information about how to efficiently use the BlackBerry Calendar very quickly, and out-schedule a Palm/PocketPC user in speed and efficiency.

• Blackberry Internet Browser FAQ - HTML Web With Images
    Information about web browsing on the BlackBerry. Find out how to get the best web browsing experience on a BlackBerry, including HTML, images, JavaScript, online banking, etc.

• Blackberry Instant Messaging FAQ
    Information about how to set up instant messaging on a BlackBerry, for chatting on the MSN/ICQ/AIM/Yahoo networks. Gai the added convenience of always-on instant messaging, on top of always-on email!

• SMS Between BlackBerry & Other Cell Phones
    This thread talks about various methods of how to send SMS messages between a BlackBerry and other cell phones, as well how to send an SMS using email from any computer. This can provide free unlimited outgoing SMS messages if using an unlimited GPRS plan.

• Configuring Internet On BlackBerry - WAP/APN/Gateway Settings
    You can now run Internet (TCP/IP) software on BlackBerry nowadays! No BES/MDS needed anymore! You can now do chat software, AIM, ICQ, MSN, IRC, telnet/ssh, web browsing, etc, on many carriers now.

• HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop
    Instructions on how to use a BlackBerry as a modem for a laptop. Works on 7100 and 7290 BlackBerries. May also work with other models of BlackBerries.

• Change Themes On a BlackBerry
    Bored of your Rogers theme? Find T-Mobile's theme too slow? Prefer the Vodafone theme on your Rogers? You can replace themes on your existing 7100 series!

• Ringtones On a BlackBerry
    Yes, BlackBerry supports ringtones. Bored of the default ringtones? Not loud enough? Want to convert MP3 into a ringtone for your BlackBerry? Go to this thread!

• BlackBerry Thumb Touch Typist Guide (Type Without Looking!)
    It is possible to learn how to thumb touch type on BlackBerries without even looking at the keyboard. Some people have exceeded 60-70 WPM on BlackBerries with no AutoText. This guide tells you how to practice thumb touch typing, and how to benchmark your thumb typing speed!

• Faxes to/from BlackBerry or any email
    Thread that describes how fax-to-email services work, even including faxing hardcopy documents.

• Voicemail Service With Voice-To-Text Automatic Transcription
    Thread that describes third party voice mailbox services that automatically transcribes all voicemails into text emails, allowing you to read your voicemails instead of listen to them. Can also be used as a substitute to alphanumeric pager service, even if your carrier doesn't support paging.

• Hosted BES FAQ: Wireless Outlook Synchronization!
    Thread for BES hosting in order to get Wireless Outlook Synchronization and to get MDS which acts like a TCP/IP Internet stack for Blackberries. This can be very useful if your carrier cannot use the new WAP/APN feature that is available in newer BlackBerryOS 3.8 and later.

• International BlackBerry Compatibility Guide
    Travelling? Wondering if BlackBerry will work in a certain country? Or need to purchase a BlackBerry for use in another country? This article answers these questions.

• Midlets: You can use Nokia/Motorola Java apps on BlackBerry!
    Thread that explains how to install midlets on your BlackBerry. BlackBerry actually has almost 1000 applications nowadays; if you include midlets. You can run midlets originally written for Nokia, Motorola, SonyEricsson cellphones!

• BlackBerryOS Upgrade Downloads
    This article tells you where to download the BlackBerryOS upgrade for your particular BlackBerry handheld. Also where to download the latest BlackBerry Desktop as well. Includes Version 4.0!

• Max The Battery Life Of Your New BlackBerry
    If you just recently purchased a BlackBerry, or you are having battery life issues, read this thread to find tips on how to maximize the battery life of your BlackBerry!

• BlackBerry Advantages For The Deaf & Hard Of Hearing
    Increasingly, deaf and hard-of-hearing people are purchasing wireless data devices such as Hiptop/Sidekicks. This thread lists the advantages of BlackBerry over other devices, for use by the deaf, including chatting services and relay services!

• Develop Software For BlackBerry
    If you are a Java programmer, this thread will give you a big jumpstart on writing your first BlackBerry application or BlackBerry-compatible midlet!

More threads will be added on popular demand and as I make other FAQ's over time, so keep tuned! And please feel free to go to those threads and post questions or comments if you need further help;

Quote:
This is a "Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ" article.
COPYRIGHT NOTICE:

Copyright (C) 2005 by Mark Rejhon, All Rights Reserved. Some portions may be Copyright (C) by respective forum members.
Mark Rejhon grants permission to use this article only for private use. For all other uses, please ask Mark Rejhon at www.marky.com to ask for permission to use this article. If any content of this article also contains content by other forum members, please ask them for permission too as well. This includes commercial use, public use, reposting in full/part anywhere on the Internet, publication in magazine/book or any other media, or any other use than private use. This copyright notice may not be edited or removed in any manner. Mark Rejhon reserves exclusive right to edit, remove, or restore this article, and this article may not be edited, removed, or restored by any other individual or organizations.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 09-22-2005 at 01:44 PM..
Old 03-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Marky, your contribution to the 'body of knowledge' in the Blackberry community is immeasurable. If only RIM would acknowledge the champions of this effort, as this only goes to help them sell more units and services..

A request, if i may:

How about a Bluetooth FAQ? What works, what doesn't? I'm interested in Bluetooth on Blackberries, wondering about headsets, keyboards, use as a modem, other BT uses of a Blackberry.. success reports and failure reports given certain hardware permuatations.

Having a full keyboard for when i would like to free my thumbs and regain typing at full speed on a Blackberry would be great.. bluetooth keyboards may fit this bill. I can type 125 WPM on a regular keyboard but on a Blackberry i find it fairly restrictive.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
zLon

I have just upgraded my BB7510 to version 4. It's Great!!

I like that it now supports both WORK and HOME addresses per user, however the software has a bug. It syncs the WORK address just fine, however with HOME, it does not sync the address line (ex 101 First St). It does syncs the city state and zip.

I've tried to report this.... They told me to contack my provider... I did...

zLon
Old 09-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

This thread has now been updated with new links, and to make this mirror the main BlackBerry FAQ more.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
rjharary
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

Do you think I should wait for the new Berry? or just get a 7100g? right now i have the 7290.

Thanks!

Keep on clickin!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

IMPORTANT:
For deciding where to post your question or message, see:
Old 03-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
nphil9786

Model: 7100t
Post Move Blackberry Server

Hello, I am very new to blackberry server. I came to this firm that has a blackberry server. The firm however was bought over by another firm and we are in the process of migrating users to the new companies domain where there is know blackberry server. Is there a way for me to configure that new firms exchange org to see this present blackberry server from the only organization and configure the users new windows account to use the blackberry server from the old organization through a trust relationship so they could still use it?

Please let me know, I am in need of some help

Thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
PrinceEdwardIV

Model: 7100i

jUST GOT BLACKBERRY 7100I HIT ME UP ON BB MESSENGER PIN 4011A824 FOR TRICKS AND TIPS AND DOWNLOAD INFO
Old 03-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
mhiggi02

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T
Default Quick Note Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
This thread has now been updated with new links, and to make this mirror the main BlackBerry FAQ more.
Mark, I downloaded Quick Note to my bb but I'm not clear on the intended use of the utility. How do you use it and what for? I tried to find a users guide with no luck. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
Jstreet

Model: 7730
Default Deleting files on Blackberry

Help- I have a 7730 and want to know how can I bulk delete emails or even wipe all of them. It is very tedious and slow to select them and then pick delete. thx in anticipation
Old 04-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
bobohara

Model: 7230
Default IM with 8700g

I am not BES configured and only work in a small network of less than half a dozen PC terminals. Our normal intra comms within the terminals is MSN Messenger and I would like to be able to subscribe to the small network from my 8700g using MSN, (or some other suitable IM system) but I would like to just chip into the small network from my handheld using MSN if possible

I have tried to download a program on my 8700g from
blackberry com messenger
The download gets to about 95% then says that the download has failed. This is true even in very good signal conditions.

I also tried
webmessenger
and got a 15 trial but although this program seems to be installed on my handheld, I cannot connect this software to the net. In any case, I am not sure it would serve my purpose.

Bob O'Hara
[email address]
Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 PM   #12
jj_vee

Model: 8700C
Carrier: AT&T

Jstreet - not sure this is what ur looking for, but if you're in you inbox on your BB, scroll to today's date, click the trackwheel, and select "Delete Prior" and it will delete all emails/msgs/etc received up to that point. I suppose if you go to y'day's date in your inbox, you'll only delete what was received prior to today. It gets rid of everything, so be careful to save if there's something you need.

Juan
Old 05-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
husseink

Model: 7280

PLEASE HELP - I just got a blackberry 7280. I just got it to use it to manage contacts and appontments. I do not have a data package on my wireless package. Is there a way for me to enter info in my Outlook and load it onto my blackberry? Please help me out if anyone can. Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

You can use the desktop manager software included with your BB (or downloadable from RIM or your provider) and use the synch function to synchronize your BB to your OUtlook.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #15
sarfrazali

Is there any way to disable the handheld security password
Old 05-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #16
hb2me
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: nextel

Mark, are these programs compatable with the Nextel 7100i? I have tried to download a couple of the programs and it says it incompatable with my unit. Any suggestions?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #17
anurag

Model: 7100T

I want to send a popup to balackberry by push method.Can anyone help me.
you can send me mail also.my email is [email address]
Thanks in Advance.!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #18
markcornwall

Model: 8700

Can anyone help? I have a new bb with t-mobile and the browser does not allow me to log in to things like bank accounts etc. Any idea of a good solution.I'm using the Tzones browser.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #19
FSWAdrian

Model: 8700
Angry STOCKBROKER NEEDS HELP 8700g

How do i unblock my UK Blackberry 8700g and also what is the MEP code ...how do i obtain the code or codes...HELP! email address [email address]
Old 07-27-2006, 11:05 PM   #20
ThinkingFresh

Model: 8700g

thank you
Closed Thread