Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #1
kbart63
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile PAYG
Default Gmail BIS2 Setup

Please Login to Remove!

I have updated directions to integrate a Gmail account with your BlackBerry. The directions will allow you to get functionality similar to a Yahoo! BIS2 account without reconciliation.

1- Logon to your service provider's website and select your internet email setup section. Edit your BIS settings for your blackberry.net address. Enter the name you would like this email folder to appear on your BB in the "E-Mail Account:" field. Enter the name you want to appear when your reply to messages. Enter your Gmail account name in the "Auto BCC:" field. Enter the email address your would like to reply from on your BB in the "Reply To:" field. Save your changes. The image below shows possible configuration for a T-Mobile USA user.

2- Select the filter settings for your blackberry.net address. Verify there are no filters defined.

3- Old Gmail filter and forwarding clean up. Logon to the Gmail account and select "Settings". Select the "Forwarding and POP" menu to make sure that forwarding is disabled. Select the "Filters" menu and make sure there are no filters that forward to your blackberry.net address.

4- Create a new Gmail filter. In the "From:" field type a dash and then the email address you entered in the BIS reply-to field. Do not place a space between the dash and your address. Select the "Next Step" button. Select the "Forward it to:" dial and enter your blackberry.net address in the corresponding field. Select the "Create Filter" button. The image below is an example of a properly formatted filter.

Note on using a different reply-to address.

The example images show someone using the same Gmail account as the reply-to address. If you specify a different reply-to address you will need to forward all mail from that account to the gmail account.

Summary:

All messages sent to your Gmail address will be forwarded to your BlackBerry via a Gmail filter.

There is no auto-bcc feedback problem. The filter is simple to create and has no dependencies on other filters.

Messages sent from your BlackBerry will be bcc'd to your Gmail address and will be labeled as "Sent Mail" and "Inbox".

Messages sent from your BlackBerry will have a reply-to address that matches your Gmail address. This will allow you to have email conversations via your Blackberry and will keep all your email messages on your Gmail account.

This would probably work for a BIS1x blackberry.net email. You would need to use bbReply on your BB to specify the reply-to address.

Links
Stinsonddogxxx8217;s Gmail BIS2 Guide
The inspiration and starting point for this work.

Original Gmail Filter
Just for reference.

BES BIS Devoe - Or How to Use BIS2 Filters and Yahoo! for all your instant eMail
Guide to creating multiple real-time email accounts using Yahoo! and BIS filters.

Advanced Gmail Filter
Examples on advanced filtering options when used with the enhanced Gmail filter. (A little more complicated then I thought and may require some Mickey Mousery to work. I may revist this, but not anytime soon)

Last edited by kbart63; 05-30-2006 at 01:20 PM..
Old 05-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

very nice.

you may want to specify that the default address under Message Services (CMIME) needs to be set to the blackberry.net address.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
aviationwiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Nice!

That's fantastic! I love the result, perfect for what I need!
Old 05-15-2006, 02:26 AM   #4
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

THANK YOU...

Thank you very much!

-Simpson
Old 05-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T

[QUOTE=kbart63][*]Messages sent from your BlackBerry will have a reply-to address that matches your Gmail address. This will allow you to have email conversations via your Blackberry and will keep all your email messages on your Gmail account.[/LIST]QUOTE]

Thanks for such a consice set of directions. We spoke in another thread but then I went out of town and lost the train of thought etc... Where does it stand on having an e-mail address other than gmail? I want my address to be from my domain so that if I ever leave Gmail or my ISP or whatever I do not have to change my e-mail with all my contacts. I want [email address]- any way to achieve that?
Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
kbart63

penk - Regarding the Message Services (CMIME) settings. I should add something regarding this, but I am not completely sure what this setting accomplishes. Is this just the default account used to reply to messages? I played around with changing the setting between two BIS accounts and did not see any difference.

I think if you access the individual mail boxes you default to that box’s CMIME, only when using the combined messages box does the default CMIME get used...?

johnfromphilly - In the original thread I mentioned you may only need to update the Gmail filter (and update your BIS settings). I have not tested this, but I will put some time in tonight. If you feel up to it I would appreciate a second hand.

Use the text below as an example.

"From:" section add "-user@gmail.com || -replytyoaddress@domail.com".

Does all your email get filtered through the Gmail account, and you have Gmail configured to use a different reply-to address (when directly logged on Gmail you have your account settings changed to use a different reply-to)?

Essentially I need to know that all your mail is being sent/received via the single Gmail account, but you always use a different reply-to address. This will help me tweak the filter (depending on how you use the Gmail account you may only need the reply address in the filter).

I am glad the setup is working for others. I am going to get a copy to Stinsonddog after the reply-to options are hashed out.

I was doing some testing with a Yahoo! account with the hope that reply-to setting on the web mail client would carry over to the BB, but a quick test showed otherwise. If anyone has any insight, please post as it would be excellent to have this working.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

I will mess around with it myself and let you know my progress, happy to join in.

I cannot do it until Tuesday though- tonight is family night.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:39 PM   #8
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbart63
penk - Regarding the Message Services (CMIME) settings. I should add something regarding this, but I am not completely sure what this setting accomplishes. Is this just the default account used to reply to messages? I played around with changing the setting between two BIS accounts and did not see any difference.

I think if you access the individual mail boxes you default to that box’s CMIME, only when using the combined messages box does the default CMIME get used...?

johnfromphilly - In the original thread I mentioned you may only need to update the Gmail filter (and update your BIS settings). I have not tested this, but I will put some time in tonight. If you feel up to it I would appreciate a second hand.

Use the text below as an example.

"From:" section add "-user@gmail.com || [email address]".

Does all your email get filtered through the Gmail account, and you have Gmail configured to use a different reply-to address (when directly logged on Gmail you have your account settings changed to use a different reply-to)?

Essentially I need to know that all your mail is being sent/received via the single Gmail account, but you always use a different reply-to address. This will help me tweak the filter (depending on how you use the Gmail account you may only need the reply address in the filter).

I am glad the setup is working for others. I am going to get a copy to Stinsonddog after the reply-to options are hashed out.

I was doing some testing with a Yahoo! account with the hope that reply-to setting on the web mail client would carry over to the BB, but a quick test showed otherwise. If anyone has any insight, please post as it would be excellent to have this working.
All of my (4) addresses funnel into gmail and then are forwarded using the stinsondog instructions (long version- I think). I then also pop with Outlook Express from Gmail. Hope that helps, I will check into everything deeper Tuesday. Thanks for the efforts!!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #9
kbart63

"I was doing some testing with a Yahoo! account with the hope that reply-to setting on the web mail client would carry over to the BB, but a quick test showed otherwise. If anyone has any insight, please post as it would be excellent to have this working."

Figured it out.

Plus a filter that can work with any email address that allows forwarding.

Plus different reply-to is working. With the same filter.

Plus I am tired.

Plus I'll post updates tomorrow.

Updated guide with information listed above. Links included.

Plus I got the new Vodafone skin on the current T-Mobile OS release.

Last edited by kbart63; 05-16-2006 at 09:41 PM..
Old 05-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
"I was doing some testing with a Yahoo! account with the hope that reply-to setting on the web mail client would carry over to the BB, but a quick test showed otherwise. If anyone has any insight, please post as it would be excellent to have this working."

Figured it out.

Plus a filter that can work with any email address that allows forwarding.

Plus different reply-to is working. With the same filter.

Plus I am tired.

Plus I'll post updates tomorrow.

Plus I got the new Vodafone skin on the current T-Mobile OS release.
Hope you went to sleep. I will bang this around today...
Old 05-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #11
kbart63

Updated directions now include how to use a different reply-to address.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #12
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Updated directions now include how to use a different reply-to address.

Thanks for the update but I got a little lost:
How to use a different reply-to address.

If you would like to specify a different reply-to address you will need to change the reply-to entry in the BIS settings in step one. In step three you will need to use the reply-to address in the "From:" field. You should also forward all messages from the reply-to address to the Gmail account. I have kept this separate to keep the original configuration clean.

Do you mean to create a new filter? The From address step is step 4 not 3..is that a mistake? I got lost in this section as I am not sure whether I should create filters or what...any help is appreciated as I have blown up my old setup and I am 3/4 of the way thru yours...Thanks!

I would love a step by step like in the other sections.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #13
kbart63

Updated. Should be more clear.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Matches: from:(-myname@mycompany.com)
Do this: Forward to [email address]

This is the only change I should make, correct?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #15
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

It seems to be working the same as before. Not sure what the BCC problem was but I like to have the most recent workaround using Gmail as it is my lifeline to instant e-mail.

I have:
sent via BB--OK
had copy show up on PC--OK
recieved e-mail--OK
recieved mail and Reply-to is "my address"--OK

Looks good so far.

Thanks for all of your efforts.
By the way- can you explain the BCC problem. The only problem I have with the Gmail setup now is that you cannot send an e-mail to yourself from PC, it will not come thru- it shows up as "ME" in the inbox and is not forwarded to BB.

Thanks again, your hard work is appreciated!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #16
kbart63

The filter must match the reply-to address in the BIS settings. If you changed the reply-to in the BIS update the Gmail filter to represent that.

The auto-bcc feedback problem occurs when your send an email from your BB, it gets bcc'd to your Gmail account, and then forwarded back to the BB. So you end up with a sent message on your BB as sent and then the same message as delivered. (Although a duplicate message it would provide a work around to the unlisted message error when you try to forward sent messages).

If you want to get a email sent from yourself (the Gmail auto-bcc account webclient) to your BB you could play around with the account settings. Google will let you reply-to with any address you configure. No inbox reconciliation for this setup.

Last edited by kbart63; 05-16-2006 at 07:11 PM..
Old 05-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #17
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

This is from Cingular/BIS, under Options>sent from address:

(check this box)I want to customize my 'Sent From Address' to be the email address entered below.
Sent From Address: [email address]

Then in gmail this is my only filter:
Matches: from:(-myname@mycompany.com)
Do this: Forward to [email address]
Old 05-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #18
kbart63

Looks good. Thanks for helping refine the directions.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #19
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Looks good. Thanks for helping refine the directions.
No, thank you..

How about this:
By the way- can you explain the BCC problem that this fixed- I did not know what it was.

The only problem I have with the Gmail setup now is that you cannot send an e-mail to yourself from PC, it will not come thru- it shows up as "ME" in the inbox and is not forwarded to BB.

Any comments?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #20
kbart63

Just updated a reply up a post.

"The auto-bcc feedback problem occurs when your send an email from your BB, it gets bcc'd to your Gmail account, and then forwarded back to the BB. So you end up with a sent message on your BB as sent and then the same message as delivered. (Although a duplicate message it would provide a work around to the unlisted message error when you try to forward sent messages).

If you want to get a email sent from yourself (the Gmail auto-bcc account webclient) to your BB you could play around with the account settings. Google will let you reply-to with any address you configure. No inbox reconciliation for this setup."
Closed Thread