BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
hannam7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation My blackberry keeps shutting down?!

Please Login to Remove!

My Blackberry Curve 9300 shuts down around 40% without any notification. I've replaced the battery and that didn't solve the issue, I've wiped & did a restore & that still didn't resolve the issue. So I replaced the phone and that didn't even resolve my issue. I also deleted every 3rd party app but that didn't seem to be the problem. So I contacted T-Mobile and they told me it's probably the software. I tried reloading the software yesturday with the application loader then restoring everything after but it still shut down. Am i supposed to delete some vendor file or something? Or should i just downgrade back to OS 5? Because this didn't seem to happen when i was using OS 5. Maybe I'm doing something wrong when i reload/update the software?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: My blackberry keeps shutting down?!

Check the sticky at the top of the 9300 section for the latest OS and our instructions. Follow them exactly and be patient as it can take an hour or longer.

The file to delete in the vendor.xml.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

So far 2 blackberrys, replaced battery, wipe and restore. You did not indicate HOW you use the BB. Could it be your using Facebook or another social app? LI batterys will drop very quick at that level if they ever were allowed to be fully discharged. Was the batter OEM or a after market? I have some friends with 9300's with OS6 and 5 and none have this issue except one who uses twitter constantly.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
hannam7

I use both Facebook & Twitter but i don't use it constantly. Even if i didn't have those apps installed, it would shut down.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Does it shut off and stay off? If so, will it power on again? If so, what battery level do you read in options > status after you power it back on?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
hannam7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Does it shut off and stay off? If so, will it power on again? If so, what battery level do you read in options > status after you power it back on?

Yes, it shuts off & stays off. It won't power on again unless i charge it. And when it does power back on, it starts from 0%.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Beats the heck out of me. The fact that you've swapped batteries and even swapped devices points to software or user, and you seem to have ruled out app(s) as the problem.

I don't see a problem with downgrading the OS, or upgrading if possible, at least as a test.

Are you perhaps leaving the BlackBerry in a closed up car, exposing it to heat? Or exposing it to very cold temperatures for periods of time?

Last edited by aiharkness; 06-12-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Old 06-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
hannam7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Beats the heck out of me. The fact that you've swapped batteries and even swapped devices points to software or user, and you seem to have ruled out app(s) as the problem.

I don't see a problem with downgrading the OS, or upgrading if possible, at least as a test.

Are you perhaps leaving the BlackBerry in a closed up car, exposing it to heat? Or exposing it to very cold temperatures for periods of time?

No, i am not exposing my Blackberry to heat or cold temperatures. I'm going to delete the vendor.xml file and reload the OS to my device with the application loader and see if my problem persists. I forgot to mention that i've updated my BB to an OS 6 BETA version without deleting that vendor.xml file so that's what probably messed it up but i'm not sure. If i still have a problem, i will downgrade my BB back to OS 5 to see if this solves the issue.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Not deleting the vendor.xml file is not the cause of your present problem. Installing a beta OS may be. Definitely install an official OS release and let's see what happens.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

Let us know what you find after downgrading.. This is an interesting problem. i would suggest if it happens with OS5 look to how your using FB or Twitter.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
hannam7

Okay, so i reloaded the OS 6 which was an official version from my carrier & that didn't help. Then i downgraded back to OS 5 & it shut off once again (I don't have facebook or twitter installed at this point). I don't know what's wrong?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
albertocuadra

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

did you find the solution? i have the same problem!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
tsac
BlackBerry God

I noticed on one BB that location services was turned on and it caused the battery to drain within 6 hours. It may have to do with my location or the App I installed ( deleted)
called POYNT. Maybe the percentage indicator is not accurate and it is lower. One thing on an LI battery, They dont like to be discharged below 20-25 % or they can go bad quick.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
Evilcritter

Carrier: Koodo

Mine just started screwing up like this too. I've had it for less than 4 months and it has been great up 'til now. But 2 days ago the battery decided it would hold a charge for maybe 45 mins of no use. I got a new battery and it's a _bit_ better, but it keeps shutting off at random and I need to take the battery out to start it again. I just get a flashing red light and it won't turn on, even though the battery is 3/4 full (it still seems to be draining faster than before). This is incredibly frustrating because I'm about to go on vacation and only have a couple of days to resolve this.
I make sure to shut off programs and apps when I'm done with them, turned off location services as recommended, keep it out of heat and cold... The os is up to date. What the heck is wrong with this thing?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
tsac
BlackBerry God

Replace the battery. If you let it drain below 20-25% it wont last long.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #16
LPyper

Carrier: Vodafone

I have the exact same problem. I have had my blackberry for 20 months and on a 24 months contract.

I can have my blackberry curve 9300 3G on charge ALL NIGHT and still the next day when I unplug the charger the battery only lasts 2 or 3 hours at the most. I do not have many apps on my phone, nor do i use them constantly. I tried changing the battery to a brand newly purchased one and that was a barrel of laughs!! Only lasted 2 hours. It is getting to the point where I want an upgrade NOW and I still have 4 months to go to get it! I was on a call to the emergency services not that long ago and my stupid blackberry cut out. Luckily they were able to track my call so they got to the emergency. In situations like that....That is not on. It's a disgrace!! To any expert, find a solution now!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPyper View Post
I have the exact same problem. I have had my blackberry for 20 months and on a 24 months contract.

I can have my blackberry curve 9300 3G on charge ALL NIGHT and still the next day when I unplug the charger the battery only lasts 2 or 3 hours at the most. I do not have many apps on my phone, nor do i use them constantly. I tried changing the battery to a brand newly purchased one and that was a barrel of laughs!! Only lasted 2 hours. It is getting to the point where I want an upgrade NOW and I still have 4 months to go to get it! I was on a call to the emergency services not that long ago and my stupid blackberry cut out. Luckily they were able to track my call so they got to the emergency. In situations like that....That is not on. It's a disgrace!! To any expert, find a solution now!
Two things:

1. This forum is not associated with RIM, the makers of BlackBerry. It is privately-owned, and we are all volunteers. Do not make demands of us.
2. Don't bump old threads.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
AvecAmour

Carrier: MTS
Angry Re: My blackberry keeps shutting down?!

I'm having the same problem. Started about 3 months ago. Thought it was due to roaming (which chews up battery life like crazy), but now it blacks out about once every 15 minutes of continuous use. Complete shut down, then takes forever to power up. When it does, the battery is completely exhausted. Doesn't appear to matter which app or task I am doing. Could be sitting at home talking, texting on the bus, sending an e-mail, or playing an off-line game. And no, the phone has never seen the extreme cold, or warm, or ever been wet. The idiot at the MTS counter (my provider) had no idea what to do other than say it must be something I am doing....RIGHT! Glad to find out that swapping out batteries does nothing to it. Also, I haven't downloaded any apps for over a year and refuse to upgrade the operating system or upgrade any of the programs like crunchSMS. It happens without any warning what so ever and doesn't matter if the phone fully charged or down one bar. Very Frustrated BlackBerry User....perhaps iPhone next! RIM, needs to jump on these issues. Phone is a Pearl 8220 (not 9300).

Last edited by AvecAmour; 08-21-2012 at 09:25 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
fourstringfuror
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
2. Don't bump old threads.
Thanks.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #20
bigezkid

Model: 9300C
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvecAmour View Post
I'm having the same problem. Started about 3 months ago. Thought it was due to roaming (which chews up battery life like crazy), but now it blacks out about once every 15 minutes of continuous use. Complete shut down, then takes forever to power up. When it does, the battery is completely exhausted. Doesn't appear to matter which app or task I am doing. Could be sitting at home talking, texting on the bus, sending an e-mail, or playing an off-line game. And no, the phone has never seen the extreme cold, or warm, or ever been wet. The idiot at the MTS counter (my provider) had no idea what to do other than say it must be something I am doing....RIGHT! Glad to find out that swapping out batteries does nothing to it. Also, I haven't downloaded any apps for over a year and refuse to upgrade the operating system or upgrade any of the programs like crunchSMS. It happens without any warning what so ever and doesn't matter if the phone fully charged or down one bar. Very Frustrated BlackBerry User....perhaps iPhone next! RIM, needs to jump on these issues. Phone is a Pearl 8220 (not 9300).
I'm right there with you. Not only did I try a new battery in my old phone, but I just got a brand new BB curve and the same thing continues to occur...this phone is the worst and I'm getting super frustrated as well. RIM needs to resolve this issue for its consumers. If anyone has the solution, please let me know
Closed Thread