BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #41
RDEMP

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default The add to the confusion

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I'm new but I've been lurking for awhile. Loving my blackberry more and more everyday. To further muddle things, I contacted cingular tonight and reported this problem. The csr first told me that it would cost to add any wap.cingular plans. However, she said that my account should include isp.cingular at no cost. This was provisioned and now all my programs work. Go figure.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:25 AM   #42
benbac

Model: 9000

You guys may be misunderstanding each other and hearing the wrong things.

It's pointless in bashing on cingular if you don't have the right information.

what mzini stated is incorrect.

Cingular does NOT require the MediaNet plan in addition to your blackberry plan. You do not need MediaNet to add the wap.cingular APN, plus the blackberry's aren't considered "MediaNet" capable phones.

If you're on Cingular (orange sim) and you have the bb data plan do the following (and is properly on your account):
first follow: kyle16's post: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=103060
then follow Mark's thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185
Go to Options->TCP
APN: wap.cingular
Username: [email address]
Password: CINGULAR1

once you save your tcp settings and hard reset your phone (remove battery, wait about 10 seconds), if you still can't run your tcp based apps (eg. verichat, ramble, yak-on, etc..)

That means your account is missing the wap.cingular apn.

All you have to do is call up Data Services at (866) 490-2666 and ask them to add the apn to your account. don't beat around the bush, don't even mention to them that you have 3rd party apps that's not working, just tell them, "can you add the wap.cingular apn to my account", that's it.

as for CS reps (the people who answer the 611 calls), they won't help with this, it's pointless in speaking to any of them because they don't know anything about blackberry related issues because they weren't trained to. if you are on teh phone with themm, just tell them to patch you through to data services.

After you complete these steps, you should be fine. And again, if they are charging you for medianet, dispute it, any additional charges, dispute it. Cingulars billing system has been running into some issues with incorrect billing statements and overcharges, so make sure you check your bills.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 PM   #43
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Benbac,

I was simply going by what three different reps IN the data department told me (not 611 customer service), as well as the "manager" that was available at the time. So, the department you are saying knows everything apparently didn't.

Also, you said that Blackberry phones are not considered medianet compatible phones, yet they are listed under medianet capable phones on cingular.com/medianet. And also, the username WAP@CINGULARGPRS did not work on my account, but everything worked great once I changed it to [email address].

And finally, I do believe all of us that have been in the situation I have been in have a right to be upset with Cingular. I've been told different things everytime that I've called for weeks... what kind of customer service is that? I run three businesses and I don't have the time to spend all day on a support line. For what I pay Cingular, I expect prompt support and correct responses... I don't think that is too much to ask at all. One of the things you pay for in your monthly bill is customer service, so I expect it to be there.

Anyway, everything works on my blackberry now. Let's just hope I don't get charges or Cingular, unfortunately, will be getting another call from me.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #44
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

benbac,

Thanks for the advice! It worked like a charm. When he asked what I needed it for, I said "so my tcp applications will work." That was that.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:30 PM   #45
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

Another FWIW, but this is the key, IMHO:" All you have to do is call up Data Services at (866) 490-2666"

You have to get past the regular Cingular Rep, as they are not up to speed as of this point, and are resistant to making requested changes. I guess I got the right guy on the phone, because he cured my tunnel errors, seemingly at a keystroke. I took down and saved my "case number" which contains the fix that the guy worked, so that if it recurs, I can bypass the spinning the Cingular Wheel of technical service fortune.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:31 PM   #46
tdo

Model: 8700C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcpher
Another FWIW, but this is the key, IMHO:" All you have to do is call up Data Services at (866) 490-2666"

You have to get past the regular Cingular Rep, as they are not up to speed as of this point, and are resistant to making requested changes. I guess I got the right guy on the phone, because he cured my tunnel errors, seemingly at a keystroke. I took down and saved my "case number" which contains the fix that the guy worked, so that if it recurs, I can bypass the spinning the Cingular Wheel of technical service fortune.
I just called Data Services and requested that they add the wap.cingular APN to my account. I was told that the only way it could be added was to add one of the Medianet plans or be billed at the pay as you go rate for wap data so apparently you have to speak to the correct rep.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:27 AM   #47
Airpoppoff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo
I just called Data Services and requested that they add the wap.cingular APN to my account. I was told that the only way it could be added was to add one of the Medianet plans or be billed at the pay as you go rate for wap data so apparently you have to speak to the correct rep.
same here, wtf is that mean?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:50 AM   #48
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo
When I spoke to the rep today, he said that it's supposed to be automatically provisioned on all BBs, but for some reason, it wasn't on mine. The implication of that is that there's no need to get medianet in addition to the data plan. Cingular's very confused....

The key, I think, is to be very matter of fact about it. Just say "I need wap.cingular added as my APN". That's it.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:26 AM   #49
Airpoppoff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Jesus christ, After Hours and hours of troubleshooting, FINALLY!

It took me 3 times to get ahold of a rep that would actually add it on to the account, and finally I did, and he added it on, and WAHLAHHHH works absolutely perfect.

He said that The "new" BBUNL plans actually have the feature embedded, but mine didint, and I got my first blackberry 2 weeks ago lol.

If you get someone who tries to tell you its a media net plan, tell them you'll call back, I had this guy make me a ticket number, and then I was out, now EVERYTHING works perfect!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:41 AM   #50
Airpoppoff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Also just to let you know Mine works with

[email address]
AND
[email address]
Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #51
alann
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

I noticed when i plug in my sim with unlimited Blackberry data plan to a treo 650. I was able to get EDGE connection. Is this normal or did Cingular is charging me pay per use MediaNet??
Old 12-15-2005, 02:18 AM   #52
mws222
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

wow i just had the best experience...the rep spoke of the forums and asked if i could look up the code on the forum for him so it would be quicker
Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 AM   #53
Airpoppoff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Lol in before site shutdown
Old 12-15-2005, 09:31 PM   #54
mws222
Thumbs Must Hurt

just to clarify what does everyone show on their features list on the cingular site for the feature code? i just want to make sure i got it added correctly and won't be charged
Old 12-19-2005, 06:42 AM   #55
ssicilia

Default Having the same problems

I too have the 8700 with Cingular's unlimited blackberry plan, yet when i went to check my data usage online it said i have 637kb overage and 0kb of available data for the month. Meaning I will be charged everytime I go online. I am going to call in the morning and try to sort this out. If anyone has any advice please help. Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #56
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

Another success story after getting wap.cingular access point turned on. Hope I don't have to do battle later on billing/data use in-spite of having BBUNL
Old 12-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #57
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Default See my new thread

I posted my data charges.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=22038

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicilia
I too have the 8700 with Cingular's unlimited blackberry plan, yet when i went to check my data usage online it said i have 637kb overage and 0kb of available data for the month. Meaning I will be charged everytime I go online. I am going to call in the morning and try to sort this out. If anyone has any advice please help. Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 07:44 PM   #58
wangta01
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

Guys, all this back and forth is confusing as hell.
I just put in the following :
Username: [email address]
Password: CINGULAR1

I can now connect use Ramble - i'm assuming I'm fine? I did not call Cingular to get this working. Can i assume that I will NOT be charged for this?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #59
darkhorse
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 249E9788

OK. The compiled fruits of my efforts.

On a BlackBerry 8700c with no additional account setup (just BB Unlimited and Voice)

Username for APN: [email address]
Password for APN: CINGULAR1

For Modem Use (Yes this works too

Modem Properties:
Initialization String: +cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"

Dial-up Properties:
USERNAME: [email address]
PASSWORD: CINGULAR1

On an side note I did this during my last billing period and It showed up on my bill as used data, however, there was no charge for it.

Hope this helps !
Old 01-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #60
Jelly Bean

Model: torch
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Clearly modem use, and sounds like IM use too? Not Blackberry Messenger, but what about things like bblocal and jiveslide?
I just downloaded black berry messenger yesterday, and it looks like it is on there, and there is also a blurb now on it saying that cingular at this time does not support blackberry messenger..lol
I will call today and see what is up with the Media net you all are talking about
Old 01-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #61
Jelly Bean

Model: torch
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse
OK. The compiled fruits of my efforts.

On a BlackBerry 8700c with no additional account setup (just BB Unlimited and Voice)

Username for APN: [email address]
Password for APN: CINGULAR1
Ok, I just did this part, (decided not to call cingular after reading thru the whole thread), so now what? LOL, I want yahoo messenger, do I go to my wahoo site and load up now? I have yahoo plus.
Closed Thread