Old 07-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Anidamo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Talking [New App] Mango, the *free* OneManga comic/manga reader for BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

Mango is a manga (Japanese comics) reader for BlackBerry devices. With Mango, you can read any of your favorite manga series available on OneManga.com over-the-air through your network's 3G or EVDO connection, scaled down to your phone's screen size and at significantly faster speed and better quality than the built-in Browser or Opera Mini. It's also a snap to zoom in to an image to read small text, all you have to do is double-tap the screen. And best of all, it's free.

Mango supports touchscreen gestures when running on a BlackBerry Storm; you can swipe left or right to switch pages, double tap to toggle zoom, drag your finger to pan around the image, and click to advance to the next page. A simple bookmarks system is also in place, allowing you to return to a specific page and chapter of a manga later on, and it's less cumbersome than using the Browser because you don't have to go through and delete duplicate bookmarks -- the app does this for you.

---

Known Issues/Missing Features:
-Feature: Save pages to your SD card as you read them, neatly organized into folders
-Bug: High-resolution images can be difficult to read when Mango scales them down to the phone's screen size. In the meantime, you can zoom in to read these pages.

To-Do for next release:
Quote:
Version 1.01 has been released. Don't expect another release like that for a looong time. >.>

---

Here's a bunch of screenshots from Mango v1.01.

OTA Download link:
Scroll to the bottom of the page.
OTA Download Link - Mango v1.01 (Storm, OS 4.7)

Please post any problems you have with the app, as well as comments or suggestions; I will read and attempt to respond to all of them, and if I like a suggestion I will see if I can add it into the app!

Enjoy!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Does it support 9000 software? Or only the 9530/9500 touch screen os? Please advise.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Anidamo

Currently just the Storm. I would like to have a Bold/8900 Curve release in a couple days, and it's almost completely done, but there's a couple kinks regarding trackball control that I have to fix first.

EDIT: Damn, is there no way for me to edit the first post in the thread? I thought I would be able to edit it later when I posted it.

Last edited by Anidamo; 07-12-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #4
Kurai Kitsune

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anidamo View Post
EDIT: Damn, is there no way for me to edit the first post in the thread? I thought I would be able to edit it later when I posted it.
I would have thought so too.
Asside from that, i'm eagerly awaiting something that will run on my 8320
Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
tfrankson

Model: 8120
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Great

I'm looking forward to a 8900 release.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Anidamo

Now available for 9600 Tour, 9000 Bold, and 8900 Curve/Javelin. Enjoy!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
SkyPilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell

Would have been nice to see somewhere that it is for US only before the install process
Old 08-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
tfrankson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anidamo View Post
Now available for 9600 Tour, 9000 Bold, and 8900 Curve/Javelin. Enjoy!
Cool, where is the link for the other models? I only see the link posted for the Storm in the 1st post
Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
tfrankson

Default Found it

Never mind, I didn't realize the same link for the storm took you to the other models.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
mattgirv

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
Would have been nice to see somewhere that it is for US only before the install process
Hmm, it works perfectly here and I am in the UK so that isn't the issue.

Very nice app, only had a quick fiddle but I can appreciate what you have done so far. It seems pretty intuitive browsing around the screen. I'll let you know if I come across any bugs
Old 08-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Does it work with *.CBR files?

And when will one be released that supports 8830?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
Anidamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
Mango is not US only. However I currently cannot support connection issues experienced by users outside the US. Also back when I posted this thread I did not know about the issues some European carriers had with this app and since this forum does not let you edit old posts I can't update the OP. The CrackBerry topic will always have the most recently updated information and is much more active in terms of how often I check and how often people post.

A WAP2 version that should work with any carrier in any country is near completion.

@Iare Tosevite: Sorry, Mango does not support .cbr's, and I was planning on writing a separate app for that purpose but I cannot find a way to extract .rar files on a BlackBerry so I don't think it will ever happen, at least not from me.
Hate to have to tell another downer but an 8330 version is not planned. Sadly the 83xx series just has too small of a screen resolution and it runs OS4.5. Creating a version of Mango for the 83xx series would require a significant portion of the UI code to be rewritten, and quite frankly I don't want to keep pouring more time into this free app since it's taken up a whole lot of it already over the past two months.
Sorry :(

Last edited by Anidamo; 08-13-2009 at 10:07 PM..
Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
fenrisswolf

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs up sweet app!

Just found this yesterday, downloaded it, ran it, loved it, ran out of battery juice using it!

Good implementation, I really like the incremental bookmark feature, and it's quite intuitive in my 8900.

I'd like a few keyboard shortcuts for those of us w/actual keys, but overall it's a great little app for all of us crazy manga fans.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
Anidamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisswolf View Post
Just found this yesterday, downloaded it, ran it, loved it, ran out of battery juice using it!

Good implementation, I really like the incremental bookmark feature, and it's quite intuitive in my 8900.

I'd like a few keyboard shortcuts for those of us w/actual keys, but overall it's a great little app for all of us crazy manga fans.
Glad to hear it. In hindsight it was incredibly stupid of me not to add keyboard shortcuts when porting the app over to non-touchscreen phones (I even remember thinking "Damnit, without gestures and touchscreen controls users will have to use the menus for everything!", completely forgetting that the keyboard allows for even more shortcuts than the screen lol). There's a Mango 1.04 test/beta build up over at Crackberry with keyboard shortcuts if you want to try it out... it's labeled as a beta but it's pretty much ready to be renamed to Mango 1.5 as it is.

Here's the link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackberry.com
Old 08-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #15
fenrisswolf

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Hmm. It's good, but I'm having a little issue on my 8900 (OS 4.6.231) where the first page of each chapter shows a black screen until I toggle the zoom. Otherwise all seems well
Closed Thread