BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 02:12 PM   #341
whuffo

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I'm considering getting a 7250 as a replacement for my Treo 650 if I can enable it for EVDO tethering. The 650 will only tether as 1X. My newbie question is this: on the Treo I have the $45 unlimited data plan. With a 7250 do I get billed the $45 plus $15 for tethering or just the $15? Do new 7250s come with the proper software for tethering already installed? Thanks.

Last edited by whuffo; 12-20-2005 at 02:16 PM..
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 PM   #342
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuffo
I'm considering getting a 7250 as a replacement for my Treo 650 if I can enable it for EVDO tethering. The 650 will only tether as 1X. My newbie question is this: on the Treo I have the $45 unlimited data plan. With a 7250 do I get billed the $45 plus $15 for tethering or just the $15? Do new 7250s come with the proper software for tethering already installed? Thanks.
No way to get only tethering, you must also have a data plan too. $45 plus $15 (might later become $45 plus $30 if you are a data-only user, not sure). As a bonus, this includes everything on the device itself. (Fortunately, email and IM chatting is generally considered more reliable on a BlackBerry than a Treo)

About getting software, for more information, see detailed instructions:
How To Enable EVDO BroadbandAccess On Version BlackBerry 7250
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #343
bgate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Did anyone else get an email from VZW today? It said that I needed to do a *228 op 2 because of recent changes to my plan. I did so, nothing changed - still pretty solid on the 1XEV, just getting tired of the roaming triangle.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #344
porod
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Ever since I changed the SIP password to vzw I get a "data connection refused" while I am on the extended network (at my home). Before I changed the password I would be on the 1X network. any ideals
Old 12-22-2005, 08:32 AM   #345
porod

Quote:
Originally Posted by porod
Ever since I changed the SIP password to vzw I get a "data connection refused" while I am on the extended network (at my home). Before I changed the password I would be on the 1X network. any ideals

It is working now after "wipe handheld", reregister Host Routing Table, and *22899
Old 12-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #346
johndyoung

Model: 7250

I upgraded mine today. I am on an Enterprise Server and I had to reactivate the Enterpise Server before I could get e-mail. Everything seems to work. I live in Birmingham, AL and there is no EVDO here. I travel a lot and will be in Atlanta on Monday. Can't wait to see if EVDO works there.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #347
whuffo

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

I received my 7250 today. I called customer service to activate the phone and asked her if she could enable me for broadband access too. She said that I already was. I then asked her to enable feature MNAI 1. She could not find this feature and put me on hold a long time while she asked around. Nobody knew what that feature was. I had to run an errand and let her go. Later I called the data service department noted in the guide above and the lady there also did not know what I was asking for until I told her it was to tether a laptop. She put me on hold and then came back and said she was talking to tech support who "knew what I needed and was setting it up". A few minutes later she said that I was all set. I was a bit nervous since I did not talk to the person doing the provisioning myself but went ahead and did the software and firmware updates. Bingo! I have 1XEV. I loaded up VZAcess Manager and did a test at dslreports.com and got 526Kb/s down and 120Kb/s up. Whooo Hooo!

My features on the VZW web site show Blackberry Unlimited BBA $44.99, IP General Use W/FES $0.00, (both of which were on there after the initial activation call) and Broadbandaccess Connect Unlim PDARIM $15.00. If you get those features, you are good to go. Thanks to this wonderful group and Mark.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #348
wooch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Let me relate my experience:

Last night, I upgraded the Desktop Manager SW and the BB OS to support EVDO. All went well, and I originally saw the 1XEV symbol next to the WiFi icon.

After I soft reset, I received the "Data Connection Refused" error. I followed the instructions on correcting it to no avail

Contacted Verizon Wireless Support. The guy had me soft reset, then wipe, then suggested replacing the device. I said I didn't buy fact that the device was dead, but that it was something on their end, a feature that needed to be added to my account.

I mentioned that when dialing the ##000000, there was all zeros for the IP. He contacted customer service, and had them enter a static IP for my account.

I still received the error, and he said that it may take a while to go through their network and hit my device. He said call back if it doesn't. 2 hours later, same error message.

I called back last night, and got another tech. Hi immediately saw the problem, and made a quick change to my account. The error disappeared, and I once again had the 1XEV symbol. I thought all was well, and ended the call.

I tried a wireless activation with our BES server with no luck, and realized I couldn't connect through the BB Browser. So, I'm almost there I thought . . .

Called Customer Service this morning. I told that person what I had been through. She said everything looked good on the account, and that the device could indeed be bad. She put me on hold, and I recalled the static IP change from the night before. When she came back, she mentioned it, and I suggested that they remove the static and put it back to the way it was.

Voila, I immediately received the service books from my Enterprise Activation the night before. I was able to activate it, and the second browser icon appeared.

Now, all is well. Just a point of reference for those of you who've not enabled it. Don't let them tell you that you have a bad device, keep calling until you get a tech that knows what they're talking about. I love the EVDO speeds thus far, and am looking forward to the speed increase. I'm throwing around the idea of getting the modem tether.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:44 AM   #349
RichP

Model: 8830

Anyone notice an increase in DCR's? (Data Connection Refused)

The last few days I been getting them all day at my house, but at work it is fine(15 miles away).

Probably a local tower issue...but real annoying.

Rich
Old 12-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #350
sidsub

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsub
I asked about this earlier and someone suggested that you will get charged for tethering at some ungodly rate. Does anyone know for sure? Can VZW even tell if you're tethering? I've only briefly tried tethering to prove that it works, but I may use it a little more if I know I'm not going to be charged for it -- it's not worth an extra $15 per month for me, but if I'm paying as much as I am for Blackberry data, I figured I could use a little more through the laptop.
I wrote this earlier, and my latest bill, which covered the period of my experiment with tethering, had no extra charges. Just FYI. YMMV, etc. And obviously, one would be stealing service if one actually did this when your terms of service say don't do so.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #351
RichP

Can someone in the NJ market tell me what features they have listed for EVDO??

I have:

Express Network
EVDO ALLOWANCE
$0.00

Data
BBA CONNECT UNL
Unlimited Data Usage
$15.00
$44.99
Thanks,

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP

The last few days I been getting them all day at my house, but at work it is fine(15 miles away).

Rich
Old 12-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #352
slapt

Model: --

is it the same if you dl the blackberry software 4.1 from rim's site? because I am trying to dl it from vz and it says I am not a vz customer though I am going to the link through my account online.

is there another way to dl 4.0.2? because I am getting "The number you have entered is not a valid Verizon Wireless phone number.
To Join In, contact Verizon Wireless at 1-800-2-JOIN-IN (1-800-256-4646)."

I am a VZ customer that has a new VZ account and my number was not ported
Old 12-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #353
Dusty Saddle
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapt
is it the same if you dl the blackberry software 4.1 from rim's site? because I am trying to dl it from vz and it says I am not a vz customer though I am going to the link through my account online.

is there another way to dl 4.0.2? because I am getting "The number you have entered is not a valid Verizon Wireless phone number.
To Join In, contact Verizon Wireless at 1-800-2-JOIN-IN (1-800-256-4646)."

I am a VZ customer that has a new VZ account and my number was not ported
If you have another Verizon wireless phone in the family, use that number and you should be able to download 4.02. I had the same problem and it worked for me. If you don't have another Verizon number, call Verizon tech support and they will give you a number to enter.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #354
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP

Rich
You might check your settings vis-a-vis the setting FAQ. There was a setting where a password had to be changed to "vzw." Once I changed that, I stopped getting DCR and it worked like a dream.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 12-29-2005, 12:52 AM   #355
JayEdwards

Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Let me make a first crack at writing official BlackBerryForums instructions on activating Verizon BroadbandAccess EVDO on a BlackBerry 7250:

How To Enable EVDO BroadbandAccess on Verizon BlackBerry 7250 or 7130
(VERSION 9)
[*]Possible Problem: If BlackBerry Randomly Switches Between 1x, 1X, 1XEV or "Connection Refused"
Go to phone, enter ##000000 and hit dial. That is two pound marks followed by six zeros. You will see a screen. Scroll to where it says SIP Password, then type vzw in the password field. Also verify that all three usernames are <phone number>@vzw3g.com on this screen. Then select Save, and Restart.[/list]
should the 3 usernames be my phone number? 2 of them are but the EVDO line is not. it is a number that starts with 000
Old 12-29-2005, 09:20 PM   #356
rpvitale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Me to. Fine in NYC all day. I get home and DCR. I'm in Morganville, NJ. I wish they'd fix the tower already. I'll call and beg again tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #357
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK i called and have done the same thing. Now I'm wondering, did i even need to call to change my plan?

I was on the 79.99 voice/data combo plan, 450 min and unlimited BB data usage.

After calling, I am now getting charged 4.99 more per month, (39.99 plan + 44.99 broadband blackberry).

I am now wondering if this was worth it. Does anyone know if EVDO would have worked on my old blackberry unlimited plan? I have not noticed any significant improvement in download speed, even though I am getting the 1XEV on my phone. Please help!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #358
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltx114
OK i called and have done the same thing. Now I'm wondering, did i even need to call to change my plan?

I was on the 79.99 voice/data combo plan, 450 min and unlimited BB data usage.

After calling, I am now getting charged 4.99 more per month, (39.99 plan + 44.99 broadband blackberry).

I am now wondering if this was worth it. Does anyone know if EVDO would have worked on my old blackberry unlimited plan? I have not noticed any significant improvement in download speed, even though I am getting the 1XEV on my phone. Please help!
You need to have tethering added to your account from VZW. Its an additional $15/mo on top of your unlimited data plan.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #359
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
You need to have tethering added to your account from VZW. Its an additional $15/mo on top of your unlimited data plan.
I don't need tethering, I just want faster browsing from the handheld. Is it supposed to be faster with just the EVDO from the handheld?

I have no use for tethering.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #360
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Just provisioned a BB7250 with EVDO on verizon. Having MAJOR reboot issues, takes the 7250 about 45-60 minutes to reboot (spinning hour glass). However, now that it is back up and live I am getting 1xEV no problem. I had to call verizon and have them add the "EVDSB" feature line to my account, did a reboot (another hour) and I finally got rid on my DCR problem. SO far so good, we will see how it goes. The new handheld OS does NOT seem nearly as stable as the prior release.
Closed Thread