Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
kingsfan3344
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Default *Possible* Fix for UMA Connection Loss to EDGE

Please Login to Remove!

I think that my phone *may* only be losing the UMA connection and switching to EDGE after the keypad locks. When I went to sleep last night it was on UMA, woke up and was on UMA. A few minutes later when I put the 8320 in the holster (set to auto-lock keypad) and then unlocked to use it, I noticed it was back on EDGE, after only moving the device a couple feet (still close range) Is there a possibility that the kepad lock feature does something??

There are already threads dealing with this issue, but please post here if you have been having problems even after you have already set up a static IP on the bb and set up port forwarding for ports 500 and 4500.

Thanks.

[EDIT]
See post #4. I don't think this is the keypad lock issue, but I seemed to have fixed the problem with alternative steps.

Last edited by kingsfan3344; 10-10-2007 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
ricbloch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Having same problem

I'm having the same exact problem with my curve 8320. I am evaluating the T-Mobile service and just brought home the new phone and new T-Mobile router.
Same thing- It connects to UMA but when I come back after a long time or like you overnite, It's back on EDGE

Tech Support was no help.... Please let me know if you find out anything...
Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I don't lock mine but I would be surprised if it the UMA loss was attributed to keyboard lock. However, stranger things have happened.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
kingsfan3344
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK. I seem to have (cross my fingers) fixed this issue. The locking keypad wasn't it BUT, I did the following, and I haven't had any UMA connection problems:
Initially my routers were just set up to both be router / ap's on the same ssid and different channels. I was playing around with static ip's and forwarding ports but I tried the following and so far so good:
1) Restored both routers to factory defaults,
2) set up tmo router as a bridge and have my netgear (which is connected to the modem) coonected by ethernet cable to a numbered port/ not the "internet" port.
3) Disabled dhcp on the tmo router.
4) Both routers have same ssid and security but on different channels.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
tdawg00
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan3344 View Post
OK. I seem to have (cross my fingers) fixed this issue. The locking keypad wasn't it BUT, I did the following, and I haven't had any UMA connection problems:
Initially my routers were just set up to both be router / ap's on the same ssid and different channels. I was playing around with static ip's and forwarding ports but I tried the following and so far so good:
2) set up tmo router as a bridge and have my netgear (which is connected to the modem) coonected by ethernet cable to a numbered port/ not the "internet" port.
what does disabling dhcp do??

Because i have the same problem. where I lose Uma connection after a long dormant state
Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
are

Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan3344 View Post
It sounds to me like you've taken the tmo router out of service. I could very well be wrong, but it would seem to me that your BB would now connect directly to the netgear router, not the tmo router.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
kingsfan3344
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by are View Post
It sounds to me like you've taken the tmo router out of service. I could very well be wrong, but it would seem to me that your BB would now connect directly to the netgear router, not the tmo router.
The tmo router is no longer a router but workingas an access point. I had the Linksys tech support agent take me through the steps. I know that the tmo linksys router is working since since when I am closer to that router and I go into wifi diagnostics on my 8320 it shows channel 1 and when i am closer to my other netgear router the diagnostics show channel 6. (Also, before I had both as the same ssid, they were different and i was able to successully connect to either one, but now they are the same ssid and i enabled inter-ap handover...)
Old 10-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
kingsfan3344
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg00 View Post
what does disabling dhcp do??

Because i have the same problem. where I lose Uma connection after a long dormant state
the linksys tech agent told me that we need to disable dhcp on the tmo so that clients on the network dont get conflicting ip's and we only need one router giving ip's so we left that job for the netgear.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
are

Interesting. I assume the two routers are close to each other, right? I would also guess you prefer to have the phone connected to the linksys router, since it is at least in theory optimized for the BB service, right?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
kingsfan3344
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Interesting. I assume the two routers are close to each other, right? I would also guess you prefer to have the phone connected to the linksys router, since it is at least in theory optimized for the BB service, right?
They are 3 rooms apart, a straight line would measure approximately 40 feet.
And in theory, yes, it would be nice to connect to the linksys, but the signal strength doesn't cover the whole house, but so far, since I did the fix, I haven't had issues with either one...
Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a

I encourage reading of this:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...tml#post682026
Old 10-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
are

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
I read this and I have a question as to the suggested setup ... given that the Linksys router is not also a dsl modem, in my situation it has to sit behind another device. My setup is:

DSL -> 2wire modem/router -> [tmo router as bridge (wired) w/ wireless network] + [2wire wireless network]

I now have the tmo router setup as a bridge and I seem to be maintaining UMA connections. W/o replacing hardware, I would seem to have two choices, and I can't tell which one is closer to your suggestion:

(1) keep all computers, etc. on 2wire network and put just phone on tmo router/bridge network

(2) put all devices through tmo router/bridge

In any event, the upstream connection must still go through the 2wire device, so maybe it doesn't matter.

This has all been very helpful - thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
rivviepop

You are correct with your setup and (a) assumption; with a combined DSL modem/router device like your 2wire you need to leave it all alone and use the T-Mo router like you have it; you can't make the setup change I recommend due to the combined device without a bunch of work (but it IS possible) - if your UMA is working STOP, quit tinkering.

For completeness sake - what you'd do is:

1) scrape all config settings from the 2wire webUI into a notepad (usernames/passwords, ISP connection method, etc.)

2) configure T-Mobile device as a router, reboot it, then put in all settings from the 2wire gleaned in step #1 (it is best do do this step with the T-Mo unplugged from everything and wire in directly to it for initial setup from your PC - pretend you just pulled it out of the box)

3) change 2wire config to act as a bridge and not as a router - this changes the device to 'dumb' mode, all is does is transform DSL copper into ethernet for you, so to speak.

4) plug in your T-Mo router to the 2wire, turn it on and see if everything works

5) set up wifi on T-Mo, BB, etc. now that it's all working

Really it's not too hard if you're familiar with the basic networking concepts, but in practice I have friends who don't "get it" and need a guy like me to come over and help them out - not everyone is a nerd.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #14
are

Thanks. I tried putting the 2wire device in bridge mode and had no luck; I believe the mode is only poorly supported. I'm not bad w/ networking, but I'm not that familiar with ethernet bridging, so one more question ...

(a) The 2wire device connects upstream via PPPoE. Since I need the 2wire device to function as modem, I believe I need to leave it set to PPPoE, even in bridge mode, right?

(b) Assuming yes to (a), how should I set the Linksys' upstream connection? I'm not looking at the config screen right now, but I think my options are: static IP, dhcp, PPPoE and maybe something else. I would guess static IP w/ the values for DNS, gateway from 2wire (would the static IP be the external, Internet facing IP address?).

I wish I could leave the setting alone, but still not working perfectly.

Thanks, again.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
rivviepop

Quote:
(a) The 2wire device connects upstream via PPPoE. Since I need the 2wire device to function as modem, I believe I need to leave it set to PPPoE, even in bridge mode, right?
How to answer... for this discussion I will say "no" even though what you think is technically possible (it's just a PITA to set up). This is not a true bridge mode since it's operating at layer 3 (i.e. getting you an IP address from the ISP), you want to put your 2wire into a complete transparent layer 2 mode; it doesn't do anything but low level "shaping". (referring to the OSI layers here)(1)

Once you get that figured out the 2wire is never 'seen' again; you configure PPPoE on the linksys and let it do all the layer 3 and above work for everything. This way is much, much easier and also removes any software problems with the 2wire from the equation. Your linksys will do all the "smart" work now, leaving you with only one place for failures and debugging to take place.

==
(1) OSI model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-13-2007, 03:02 AM   #16
are

Default Success!

It seems like I finally got it working - the phone gets, retains, and at the appropriate time re-acquires a wifi/UMA signal using the tmo router. A full day of testing will confirm, but so far so good.

I was able to get it working by putting my 2wire dsl modem/router into bridge mode and running everything through the tmo/linksys router. Putting the 2wire device into bridge mode was a pain, but once it was removed from the equation the tmo router (& phone) seemed to work much better.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #17
ninja95
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230

Are you guys using bluetooth headsets while doing your tests? I have my setup working and everything goes fine switching back and forth from UMA to EDGE, however when I am using any of 8 different bluetooth headsets the UMA fails and the call is dropped.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #18
Beo

Model: 8120

To be able to post links or images your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 1 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.
Sorry becuase of this I could not simply link to the original post

As orignally posted by: rivviepop

Per LINKSYS tech support and RIM use the following values in your router:

DTIM: 2 (1-255)
Fragment Threshold : 2304 (256-2346)
RTS Threshold : 2304 (0-2347)
Beacon Interval : 50 (20-1024 ms)
Channel = 3 (or least used channel in your area)

This has solved many issues with failed UMA connections.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It worked great on my 8120; Ohh and I could only change the DTIM, Beacon, & Channel on my U.S. Robotics router. It is the settings that matter not the Brand/Model router or BB phone.
Closed Thread