Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 AM   #21
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltee View Post
Absolutely, this forum is here to help, not to knock other who ask for an answer to something they do not know. Even worse is answering a question incorrectly.................. So sorry guys, but yes this is possible, but it does come with a hitch. The hitch is that you can do this, if you have access to a blackberry server of some type, whether it's the express or full. You will need to have the Blackberry Desktop manager installed for use with a server as well. Using the usb cable or paired up via Bluetooth, you can use the "Wireless Bypass" feature for data. The router will use port 4101 to connect back to the server, so you may need to modify your firewall settings to allow this. When this is set up it makes you feel like you are running on a broadband connection. An additional bonus is that you can also send and receive email while you are on the phone. If needed I can further document, but it is fairly easy to put together. Cheers All.
Comes with a hitch?

I'm going out on a limb here... but I doubt the OP wants to be carrying around a BES and/or a laptop in their backpack and having to hook it up to some public internet connection each time they wanted to tether their Blackberry to their "mobile" network each time they wanted to get Free internet access on their device.

C'mon now... what you're suggesting is absolutely ridiculous, and most certainly NOT FREE.
Who pays for the Internet connection that the BES is hooked up to?
How would this setup work while the user is mobile? (Which is the whole point of a mobile device, remember?)
There's so much additional cost, equipment, and setup for a solution like this that it makes it worthless to even try it.
Maybe it works for you in your office, or your lab, but suggesting this to the common user is a dumb idea.

You say it's "fairly easy" to put together? Yeah, OK. Try to put it together outside of your home and/or office.
I think your "comes with a hitch" comment is a just a *tad* of an understatement.

Last edited by penguin3107; 07-20-2007 at 05:34 AM..
Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #22
Spectral
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23FA9743
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig.steve View Post
Notice it's the new users that all say "Oh, yeah you can do it"? Experienced BlackBerry users apparently realize that you have to pay for the service. And T-Mo for $20 a month is cheaper than my cable internet at home!
Are you comparing an actual broadband connection with EDGE? I pay $35 per month for 7 megabits of downstream (cable), while you get about 112Kbit with EDGE for $20. If I was offered a connection that's $15 cheaper but 65 times slower, I would quickly decline. And don't even get me started on latency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
I think your "comes with a hitch" comment is a just a *tad* of an understatement.
Haha. I'm still curious about setting this up, would be pretty useful at home.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #23
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I usually give noobs a break with dumb questions (and common questions).
But look at the first post -- hus08 knew he was being a jerk, and he was even a jerk about that. In fact the post almost looks like a troll. So, before I replied with my wise crack, I looked at some of his other posts, I figured it was not a troll -- and though to myself "yes, this boy needs a slap"

Last edited by birddog; 07-20-2007 at 09:10 AM..
Old 07-20-2007, 09:07 AM   #24
donjt81
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Why should we? It's this kind of attitude that ends up raising the price for the rest of us.
How does that raise the price for you. would you like to expand on that.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #25
cwosigns

Model: 9300

Most companies in a variety of industries, when considering a price point for their products/services, factor in the fact that X number of customers will cheat/steal/misuse that product or service. To mitigate that risk, a portion of the predicted lost revenue is built into the cost that everyone pays. Cable companies do it, ISPs do it, mobile phone operators/carriers, the list goes on.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #26
Spectral

PIN: 23FA9743

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
Most companies in a variety of industries, when considering a price point for their products/services, factor in the fact that X number of customers will cheat/steal/misuse that product or service. To mitigate that risk, a portion of the predicted lost revenue is built into the cost that everyone pays. Cable companies do it, ISPs do it, mobile phone operators/carriers, the list goes on.
I don't think that's a valid argument because what matters is the number of customers who will pay for the service. The company is not losing any money on the customers that don't pay for it, merely not making any.

The RIAA has been known to use this type of argument in their "ZOMG WE ARE LOSING BILLIONS TO PIRACY" rant, but it's been shown to be bullshit because those who download exclusively would never have purchased the CD anyway, while many download to evaluate and then purchase.

Smart consumers always look for the least expensive option that still has all the capabilities they need. If it's possible to legally get something for free, without violating any of the carrier's terms, then I see no problem at all with people doing exactly that.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #27
donjt81

Quote:
cheat/steal/misuse is the key words... i didnt do any of those and still got a really good deal on the product as well as the service. So really my actions didnt really affect you or any other customer of att.

but dont flip out on the guy for trying to find a cheaper option. do you always go with the first price that is quoted to you... or do you shop around for the best price. do you not try to find different options that will give you the cheapest possible final price.

If there are 2 gas stations one with $2 a gallon and the other one with $3 a gallon... do you say ooo can I get the $3 gas please?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #28
cwosigns

I think you guys are missing my point, and that's okay. I'm going to let this die now. Of course shopping around for the best price is the smartest thing one can do as a consumer. My point is that T-Mobile, at&t, Verizon, Sprint...those companies are not in the business of supplying free internet for BlackBerry customers. So trying to get around the cost associated with a service that you ARE using is, in my eyes, stealing.

I realize that not everyone subscribes to the same moral code, and that's okay. To each his own. But I don't think you get to do very much cheating, lying and stealing without it biting you in the ass some day.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 07-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #29
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
I think you guys are missing my point, and that's okay. I'm going to let this die now. Of course shopping around for the best price is the smartest thing one can do as a consumer. My point is that T-Mobile, at&t, Verizon, Sprint...those companies are not in the business of supplying free internet for BlackBerry customers. So trying to get around the cost associated with a service that you ARE using is, in my eyes, stealing.

I realize that not everyone subscribes to the same moral code, and that's okay. To each his own. But I don't think you get to do very much cheating, lying and stealing without it biting you in the ass some day.
very well put indeed.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #30
donjt81

Quote:
So trying to get around the cost associated with a service that you ARE using is, in my eyes, stealing.
Yes in my eyes too... that is stealing. But paying more for a service when that same service is available for cheaper is plain dumb. Thats called giving away money.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #31
sig.steve

PIN: 240200b1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
Are you comparing an actual broadband connection with EDGE? I pay $35 per month for 7 megabits of downstream (cable), while you get about 112Kbit with EDGE for $20. If I was offered a connection that's $15 cheaper but 65 times slower, I would quickly decline. And don't even get me started on latency.
Ah, i only really use the internet for email, IM, research, etc... no need for ultra-fast blazing speed there. Sure downloading programs and such are easier on a faster connection, but I do that like, once a month? I'm more of a "what I need" than a "what I want" kind of guy ;)
Canon Rule of Acquisition #3:
"Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to."
Old 07-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #32
wiseprick

Carrier: rogers

i USE OPERA MINI to go internet i do not have a BB data plan but i have 5mb internet plan with rogers ..check hotmail seach internet no problem it only cos me $5.00 more a month ....why use BBdata that cost $25 or more ???
Old 07-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #33
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->

T-Mobile has 19.99 plan with unlimited data plan, but it sounds pretty slow at max 144kbps. I am not sure if there is a topic for data plan discussion but I think this topic should be locked, it is getting unnecessary attention.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #34
cwosigns

Good for you, if it meets your needs. You're PAYING for what you use. The OP was asking for direction on how to get the internet for free (steal internet from his carrier). That is something entirely different.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #35
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

bitter....

its funny how these forums are separated into two groups of people
Old 07-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #36
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kankanman View Post
bitter....

its funny how these forums are separated into two groups of people
and what two would that be
Old 07-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #37
jorv88
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mo
Lightbulb

yes this is true you could surf the web for free with the bb enabler thing i do it (well did it now i cant kuz t-moble found the leak and has fix it)but yes it is true i was able to use it for about a week or 2 but know the only way to get the web is by pony up the 19.99
Old 07-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #38
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorv88 View Post
yes this is true you could surf the web for free with the bb enabler thing i do it (well did it now i cant kuz t-moble found the leak and has fix it)but yes it is true i was able to use it for about a week or 2 but know the only way to get the web is by pony up the 19.99
so, it doesn't work. unless you only need a couple weeks worth of internet?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #39
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

Haha. I'm still curious about setting this up, would be pretty useful at home.
For one thing, how could you even compare the two? A data plan and a broadband connection are used for completely different reasons. Broadband is for high speed communication that tethers you to a location. A data plan is for mobility. Im sure lots of us love Internet connectivity and cannot be around a wifi hot spot or broadband connection. So I would HAPPILY pay $35 for a connection that is 65 times slower than my broadband connection, because that $35 gets me service my broadband could NEVER get. And no, wifi does not work if your in areas where wifi hotspots are spotty or you are traveling.

Im sure most of us here will agree that a data plan has many advantages over a tethered higher speed broadband connection and gladly pay for its advantages, even if it is a lot slower than broadband.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #40
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjt81 View Post
Yes in my eyes too... that is stealing. But paying more for a service when that same service is available for cheaper is plain dumb. Thats called giving away money.
Where is the same service available for cheaper without stealing? And no, im not talking about a wireless connection to your access point IF your device had wifi. Im getting the 8820 with wifi when it comes out, and it has wifi. But, no way in hell I am going to stop paying for my BIS mobile internet plan because wifi is absolutely useless if you are really mobile. Imagine I have wifi and I need to use my GPS to get somewhere or im waiting for important correspondence. As soon as I step in my car and drive my Internet wifi becomes useless and the maps may pick up as it picks up hotspots ... but if im on the freeway? Or around areas where there are no open hotspots?

Wifi is absolutely no substitute for a mobile data plan. No substitute at all. It is, at best, a temporary high speed link for when you are at home or work ONLY. beyond that ... pay the $35 a month and be done with it.
Closed Thread