BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #101
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Jeez, Seidio, just make a new cover with speaker holes in it and let the freaking camera show and work. People will buy it, perhaps in limited numbers, but it can't cost much to make it. Don't cover the camera, if some think they need to hide it use duct tape. Or pry the thing out of the socket and ghetto up the hole.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #102
inheritedhornet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 204B57FC
Carrier: Tmobile

umm im waiting patiently for the one with camera opening and speaker opening
Old 08-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #103
cefoskey

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
Again, having experience with secure areas and mere possession of a cell phone with camera in such places, I think it is "ignorant" to take actions to conceal the camera and try to sneak through secure areas with it. Specifically:

1. As you know, the Pearl's camera will still work without the battery cover on it. This fact is easily discovered by law enforcement or security personnel.

2. In some jurisdictions, there are signs posted that warn it is a crime to merely possess cell phones with cameras in secure areas. E.g., Some federal courthouses prohibit them. The U.S. Marshals ask if you have one, and if you do, they simply take it from you and give it back when you leave. You sure you want to try to fool armed U.S. Marshals with a Seidio battery cover that conceals the camera?

3. There are many reasons companies and government buildings do not allow cameras. Yours is not to question the propriety or reasonableness of such policies, lie to circumvent or deceive security authorities, but instead you should respect a company's wishes, and as to government buildings, simply obey the law.

Bonus Warning: Some places have signs warning that cameras are not allowed. I won't go into them all here. But note many such signs say it is a felony or misdemeanor to take simply take a camera into the area, [meaning you do NOT have to use the camera to get busted].

4. IMHO just for one's convenience it is NOT worth the risk to try and sneak a camera phone by covering the lens, such as with the Pearl battery cover. I am sure YOU are well meaning, smarter than those who don't want cameras in their space, and you do not have criminal intent. But police officers, sheriffs, marshals and security details who check your stuff and enforce the rules don't know squat about YOU. As far as they are concerned you are a suspect who tried to sneak in a cell phone camera [in regards to law enforcement catching you, even a dolt will be able to pull the Pearl cover off and see it has a camera].

5. Although YOU A) know better than everyone else; B) firmly believe that it is your "constitutional right" to carry a cell phone; C) have determined that rules prohibiting cell phone cameras are unreasonable [except for others, who may have bad intentions]; and D) know YOU won't get caught: see my post discussing the scenarios where you could get busted, jailed or fired for merely possessing a "concealed" camera phone.

6. If I was Seidio I would not even make this product because as soon as YOU rat out to investigators that Seidio made the cover [foolishly thinking that might get you off the hook], I'd go after them too.

The simplest test is to ask yourself this, if there are signs posted or questions asked by law enforcement that relate to the prohibition of taking cell phones with cameras into "their space," then don't do it. Be aware that getting guard duty is the worst in terms of law enforcement assignments. It's very boring work. You can bet that your attempt to hide a camera will be made into a big deal since things are normally ho hum in terms of daily action at the check in and scanner stations. They will slap you against the wall and place you in a holding cell for at least a few hours.

I can guarantee you that no one will believe your statements of innocent intentions. That's what everyone says when caught, the same as when people get caught speeding [everyone has "that emergency" they were speeding off to] or when caught drunk driving [everyone has "only had two beers].

Everyone who gets caught with a camera phone has statements of honorable intentions, e.g., they simply did not want to lose use of the phone, etc., but like I said, in many jurisdictions merely possessing the phone with a camera is a crime. Add to that that you took steps to conceal it.... oye vey... are you gonna be in the sewers of Paris.

To me trying to get by a "no cameras allowed" policy is the same as trying to take in concealed weapons into a secure area. I can assure that if you get caught [and there are many ways to get caught], law enforcement or security will treat your actions just as serious.

In any event, I am sure YOU are the exception to any of the above, YOU know better than the U.S. Marshals or "the company with that silly and inconvenient no camera policy," so go for it. But be sure to share your "I got busted" experience with us [when you get out of jail].
Wow. Are you serious? I think its IGNORANT not to offer a product because you assume you know everyone's individual security environment.

Ever hear of personal responsibility? Dont you think that it is up to the individual to make a responsible determination as to what is and is not an acceptable usage of such a product? Maybe covering the lens is sufficient for a paticular environment. Maybe it isnt. But to argue that a company shouldnt market a simple product that could make a phone with removed camera components look acceptable and clean because it *could* be used to sneak a functional camera phone around is simply ridiculous.

Why not let adults make adult decisions instead of trying to be a big brother and convince a company not to market their product. Looks like you succeeded in that.

Last edited by cefoskey; 08-27-2007 at 08:55 AM..
Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #104
guttertrash
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: rogers

what are the chances of a red cover in the near future? i wanna get the white one, but my gf has a red pearl and i'm sure she'll want one if i get it :P
Old 08-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #105
sbalakr3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
This may make you to be inetrested in !

Seidio will release two battery doors for BB 8100

OEM battery door with speaker opening (coming soon)

- with Camera cover (If the feedbacks are favorable)
- Without camera cover (Seidio will definitely have this version )

[email address]
I am interested. Let know the price.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #106
Lowrider
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: CBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3LO View Post
I would love this, but what do you think of a battery door cover that has the rubberized material on it, making it matte, and easier to grip...? Am I the only one that thinks this would be cool? I have purchased many of your products for my blackberries and my Treo's, they are top quality and excellently priced. Thank you for all your hard work over there!
That's a great idea! Put me down for this.
Is there a link for the other yet? Price?
Closed Thread