Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #181
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik
I don't know your experience with smartphones, but I had both WM and Symbian devices and none of them needed a battery pull to do a reset.

The Pearl is the first.
Worked with several WM phones, never a Symbian. A soft reset is not the same as power cycling on a WM phone.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #182
nigletsyz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
But I don't know how many people out there that want the iPhone because of the cool factor can actually afford it.

Most definitely, if we want to use Los Angeles as the test market, the iPhone will be "THE phone" to have, at least at the beginning. But I don't know how long the the iPhone can succeed once the initial excitement wears off.
I'm not sure of how much truth is behind this rumor or if it has already been discussed, but I have heard that Cingular may be heavily discounting their monthly service charges for iPhone users. Similar to a larger down payment on a car yielding lower monthly payments. Time will tell if this happens though; if there is enough hype people may be willing to just shell out the $500-600 for the iPhone, regardless of the service charges. Look at the PS3 and the cost of the games.

If the iPhone doesn't get updated significantly i.e. software, hardware after 12months, I would imagine it will fizzle away. I don't see Apple allowing this to happen though. I hope the OS gets tweaked, mainly the Safari browser. I couldn't believe how slow it loaded the NY Times as demo'd in Jobs' Keynote.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #183
sman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

Don't forget that dealers can essentially sell the iPhone for as much or as little as they want. It all depends on how much commission they want to make from the activation. I wouldn't be surprised to see a dealer discount the phone down to $300-$400 and take a cut of their commission check in order to push out more units.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #184
nigletsyz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

^^^ are you sure about that? I think part of the agreement with cingular was that they would not be able to discount the phone at all. Apple does not want their phone to be "devalued" through discount incentives, much like the $400 Pearl could be had for $50 on Amazon. Apple doesn't allow its retailers to discount the iPod either. On last Black Friday, Wal-mart was giving away a $40 store gift card with the purchase of an iPod. This was their work-around not being able to discount the actual unit. I don't think that we'll be seeing ANY discounted iPhones, Apple will make sure of that.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #185
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

If Apple intends to be a player in this mobile market, they cannot afford to make the major misstep of attempting to dictate to the market what the rules are regarding pricing. So far, there is no evidence of this, just wild speculation of what street prices will be, with none of them having any accuracy. I, for one, believe that Apple is consciously aware of how to intelligently enter this market in order to be a success, but time, and only time, will tell.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #186
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman
Don't forget that dealers can essentially sell the iPhone for as much or as little as they want. It all depends on how much commission they want to make from the activation. I wouldn't be surprised to see a dealer discount the phone down to $300-$400 and take a cut of their commission check in order to push out more units.
From what I've read, dealers won't be selling the iPhone -- it'll be exclusively available at company-owned Cingular and Apple stores.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #187
chotchawal

Carrier: TMo
Talking

I think battery cannot be changed like iPod.....Dang!!! How can I do battery pull???
Old 04-12-2007, 04:25 AM   #188
septahedra
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

I think an iPhone is an iPod first and a cell phone second. It's designed so people won't need to carry an ipod and a cell phone. As such, their first customers would be heavy iPod users who have little need for anything other than cell phone coverage. It's not quite a Blackberry killer, it's more like a Sidekick killer.

Blackberries started as portable email devices before it expanded into cellphone and organizer categories. Today it does a whole lot of stuff, but it is still an email device at heart. I mean, for email purpose many people can't even stand Pearl's Sure Type, so the chance of them abandoning their full QWERTY tactile BB keyboard for iPhone's screen keyboard is slim to none.

Those of us who can't live without push e-mail is not gonna worry about the iPhone, while those of us who can't leave home without their iPods will probably switch over. It's about priorities.

I personally might switch over because BB push e-mail is not absolutely important for me; I can afford to get my e-mails late by 30 minutes. What's very important for me is to have a full web browser on a portable device, so I don't have to lug a laptop everywhere. If I heard nothing about the iPhone, I would have bought one of those Sony UX series ultra portable laptops for the full-fledged web browser alone. See?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #189
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

Knowing Apple's intelligent and sophisticated design capabilities, I am sure the iPhone will be a cool device when it comes out. But looking at the pictures that are floating around, it just seems too bulky. There is nothing in the market or coming out soon that touches the Pearl for smartphone form factor.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #190
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Knowing Apple's intelligent and sophisticated design capabilities, I am sure the iPhone will be a cool device when it comes out. But looking at the pictures that are floating around, it just seems too bulky. There is nothing in the market or coming out soon that touches the Pearl for smartphone form factor.
Brilliant! and well said, I'm with you. The Pearl is a great achievement for RIM!

Cheers...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #191
Persian Advocate

PIN: 23F0B641
Carrier: T-Mobile

I didn't read all your post.. but honestly i think that the Blackberry in general will always be on top because its reliable and huge corporate companies uses the BB. The Iphone is obviously all touch screen phone and i couldn't see very many people using the phone. when the phone is switched horizontally... i can see that phone will be one of the biggest issue. The reason behind it is that.. when the phone is in a horizontal position but the screen is still in a vertical position. another problem that they will problem encounter is the touch screen, people are gonna miss press the buttons and etc. over all the phone looks pretty nice and and it will obviously have itune and stuff, which i have a Ipod user myself but it something that i wouldn't own... The blackberry is the best and does everything that i need it do to for work.. school.. entertainment.. everything.. and my BB is my first RIM phone that i have gotten and i love it.. i don't think i will ever switch to another phone brand.. RIM is the way to go
Old 08-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #192
haxxan

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
It's not only me saying the non-removable battery may be an issue, just about every review/criticism of the iPhone has mentioned the battery being an issue.

LINK http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/anipointr.gifiPhone battery non-removeable - Google Search

The fact is, the iPhone playing videos will be a big drain on battery power, so projections are that people may have a problem with the battery being non-removable. It has nothing to do with an OS.

Simple objective foundation is that when people are playing videos or accessing the Net with a portable device, such uses drain a battery real fast. Add to that talking on the phone and one can easily determine that a non-removable battery may be a problem.

It was even an issue with the iPod which resulted in Apple having a free iPod replacement program for awhile and now giving people a new iPod in exchange for their old iPod that has a bad battery [upon payment of $75 or so].

That is why it is surprising that Apple went with a non-removable battery for the iPhone.
Yes : The battery is un-removable. But it is working fine for me. I have another problem, I was not aware of that before, and that is I find few dead spots on the handset's touch-screen interface.

In the beginning I was not using any screen protectors. But now as I am using it, its like i have to do extra care of my iPhone.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #193
NEWBIE BERRY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T MO

Who let the apples into our blackberry basket?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #194
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

They're just comparing apples to oran-...uh, I mean berries.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #195
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

i this
i that
i what?
i don't think so.....