Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
JennytheSoprano

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default 8900, No Data Plan (yet), Trying to Use Hotspot Browser

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings!

I am attempting to use an 8900 with no data plan and data services on OFF to access the internet, using Hotspot Browser. I have read a LOT of threads on here, trying not to have to post my own thread, but no luck. I am connected to my wifi, my key worked just fine, and the name of my home's wireless is displaying on my phone. The WiFi icon is grey, and above that it says "edge". Despite these encouraging signs, when I open my hotspot browser and type in a web address, it says, "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact your service provider." While I could call AT&T, I really do not wish to deal with their customer service right now. Thus, I have come to you.

What I have tried:
I have set my browser to "Hotspot Browser" in Advanced settings, and I've tried playing around with the APN Settings. In the APN settings, though, I'm not sure what I am supposed to delete or uncheck or, well, what I'm supposed to do.

Here's what I'm seeing in APN Settings:

[checkmark] APN Settings Enabled
APN:
[checkmark] APN Authentication Enabled
Username for APN:
[email address]
Password for APN:**************

So what am I supposed to be deleting? Do I just uncheck those two boxes?

Also, are there any other ways I can manipulate my phone to connect to the hotspot browser?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
NightFire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

I know this sounds strange, but Data Services need to be turned *on*. If you are fearful of charges, remove the SIM card. I've done this several times with my 9700. The icon will remain gray, but wi-fi will still work. Let me know if this works.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

You may also need to check and make sure you have the Wifi service books.

Options>Advanced>Service Books
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

In most cases, you need a service book to do anything with data. In order to get service books, you need a data plan so it can be pushed to you. Don't know if that is the case with WiFi on the newer models or not. As Trimix says, you might want to check and see if there is one there.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
JennytheSoprano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
I know this sounds strange, but Data Services need to be turned *on*. If you are fearful of charges, remove the SIM card. I've done this several times with my 9700. The icon will remain gray, but wi-fi will still work. Let me know if this works.
Thank you! This does work. Is it an indicator that if I put my sim back in, they will not charge my account? I would think that if I was attempting to access their data network (or however you say it) that they would not let me actually access it without some sort of identification that they could send charges to. So maybe I was only accessing the internet via wi-fi? I do not wish to take my sim out every time I want to access the internet. I understand beggars cannot be choosers, but with my luck, I will lose the SIM and then be up a creek without a paddle. So I guess my question is, do I have to take my sim out each time, or will AT&T charge me for data if I don't?

As for the service books...

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I have looked at the service books and here are some of the service books I have.

WAP2 Browser config
WAP2 Transport
Wap Push Config
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport

And there are checkmarks next to all of them.

When I select Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport, I see that I do have a Gateway IP assigned to me, so that looks promising too.

Thanks again, guys for the suggestions! Please keep them coming!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

You have the WiFi browser Service book.

One thought however. Is it worth all of the hassle involved to NOT get a BB data plan? One screw up and the data bill could be more than a year's worth f BB data plan. It can happen.

My guess is you will not be happy with the BB at all using it the way you are trying to do.

Something from our FAQ on data plans: http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...ta_Plan_for%3F

ATT's BB data plan is $29.99 a moth, or about one dollar a day. Are all the work arounds and the hassle involved really worth it?

-->>Twitter

Last edited by Dubdub; 01-09-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Wirelessly posted (The Dacia Sandero of data plan)

I agree with Dubdub -- getting a data plan helps to maximize the full potential of the device.

However if you are set on not having one, you should be able to use your device with wifi only. I didn't have a data plan when I first got my device and used wifi only whenever I could. Didn't have to take out the sim or any other workarounds. I didn't use any apps, just the BB browser and Opera Mini.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
JennytheSoprano

I wish I could say I wanted the data plan, but for now, I'm on a tight budget and would just like the option of accessing the internet if I'm in a wifi zone. I won't be living off of my BB like some people, although maybe in the future I will be. Right now, though, I must do with only the wifi. (Until AT&T figures out I don't have a data plan and assigns me one.... that happens, doesn't it? Or is it just a rumor to frighten people?)

Either way, I suppose I'll try it this way, only using it if absolutely necessary. I have the lowercase "edge", which, according to the manual, means my phone will be using ATT for calls, and sending and receiving text messages. If I just use the hotspot browser (no apps) and have WIFI turned on, it should not incur data charges, right?

You all are right. This IS a hassle!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

In your situation, maybe the BB isn't the device for you, especially if you are so worried about data charges. What would happen if something screwed up and you goot a huge data bill? Could you pay it? Can you afford to take the risk?

-->>Twitter

Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Also turn OFF Data Services under
Mobile Networks.
If you have a data plan or normal only service with the BB SOC (on your billing plan) then its by the MB billing which gets REAL expensive fast!

Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport
^ That's all you need for HotSpot Browsing (even OM5b2 or Bolt works). I'm doing this now.

Like dubdub stated it'll be annoying ... no emails, no IM (that I know of) and no BBM. But Calendar and other PIM will work sufficiently if sync'd over USB to Outlook/Notes.

Budgets suck don't they?!!
Arrgh another 2 more weeks to go and then I go data :D
Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
NightFire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennytheSoprano View Post
Thank you! This does work. Is it an indicator that if I put my sim back in, they will not charge my account? I would think that if I was attempting to access their data network (or however you say it) that they would not let me actually access it without some sort of identification that they could send charges to. So maybe I was only accessing the internet via wi-fi? I do not wish to take my sim out every time I want to access the internet. I understand beggars cannot be choosers, but with my luck, I will lose the SIM and then be up a creek without a paddle. So I guess my question is, do I have to take my sim out each time, or will AT&T charge me for data if I don't?

As for the service books...

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I have looked at the service books and here are some of the service books I have.

WAP2 Browser config
WAP2 Transport
Wap Push Config
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport

And there are checkmarks next to all of them.

When I select Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport, I see that I do have a Gateway IP assigned to me, so that looks promising too.

Thanks again, guys for the suggestions! Please keep them coming!
To be honest, I cannot very well answer that first question, as I pay for both data and tethering (my only internet connection). But sometimes, I like to take my new 9700 to work (it's a personal device). So, I leave my SIM card with the hubby and the 8310. Granted I can only surf the Internet or use my media or share pictures. I rarely receive texts or use BBM, so that is no big loss for me for a few hours.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:08 AM   #12
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Wirelessly posted (The Dacia Sandero of data plan)

There isn't an indicator if and when they charge you for data -- only thing would be trial and error. By honestly, if you are using wifi only you shouldn't be charged for anything.

If you are worried though, you can turn off "mobile network" (cell service), but keep wifi on. That should eliminate any doubt, and you don't have to take the sim card out.
Closed Thread