Chandra481
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Unhappy Need help from BB Experts - Wi Fi connectivity problem

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am a BB newbie and need BB experts here to help with BB 8820 Wi Fi connectivity. I went through all the posts and could not find the solution, though, I am sure that there will be many having this problem.

I have a secured dial up connection at home with a WiFi router. The phone connects to the router easily with a yellow circle, but I do not get any prompts to enter User ID and password to connect to the dial up connection. Is there any way to set this up?

I require the experts' help here to help me and many more like me facing the same problem.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

You will never get a prompt on the phone for the username/password of your dial-up connection.

The dial-up connection needs to be established by your WiFi router. You'll need to configure your WiFi router with the user/pass of your dial-up connection.

And to be perfectly honest... I sincerely doubt there are going to be many more people like you who are faced with this issue. Your setup is quite unique.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
Chandra481

Penguin, I am not a tech geek and would like to elaborate more on this. When I use my laptop, I connect to the Wi-Fi router and then there is an icon set up on the laptop by my telephony company through which I connect to browser. I was hoping my BB to work in the same fashion. The Wi Fi router is configured to dial up. How do I get my BB set up this way? Thanks for your help, I now trust that I am communicating with the right person now with right knowledge. My service provide Vodafone in India was completely unble to help. I spent hours calling and talking to different technical advisors with no help at all.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Sorry, I can't help you with this. I don't quite understand your setup.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Chandra481

Oops..thats a dampener really. But, I hope everyone must be having a secured Wi Fi network at home. How do you guys connect your BB to browse?

I am providing more information here..After my laptop is connected to Wi Fi Router..I open the icon to provide my user ID and password and the router dials up the telephone network. Can I set up my BB this way? After I am connected to the Wi Fi Router, what do I do to set up this icon to provide my user ID and password?

Last edited by Chandra481; 04-23-2009 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: providing more info
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

If the icon on your laptop is just a Web shortcut that takes your browser to a page on the Wi-Fi router configuration pages, then you may be able to browse to the same web location using the Hotspot Browser on your blackberry. Then enter the user name/password on the Blackberry as you would on your laptop.

If this sounds correct, then what I suggest you do is this:

1) Go through the steps for connecting with your laptop, but don't enter the username/password.

2) Copy the URL (starts with http://) from the field at the top of the browser and paste it into an email that you can send to your Blackberry.

3) While waiting for the email to arrive on your Blackberry, set the default browser to Hotspot: Start your browser, bring up the menu and select Options. Then General Properties. On that page set the Default Browser to Hotspot Browser.

4) When the email with the URL comes in, open the email and select the link. It should take you to the same configuration page as you see on your lap top. If we are lucky the Blackberry will display it close enough to the way your laptop does for you to enter the username/password and get it to work.

5) If this has all worked, save the link from the email as a bookmark and you should be all set.

Otherwise come back and tell me where I've gone wrong. We may be able to try something else.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
kirrinjones

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

I'm sensing something like a VPN that you're using their Chandra481. Don't think you can get this to work from your BlackBerry. Sorry!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
I'm sensing something like a VPN that you're using their Chandra481. Don't think you can get this to work from your BlackBerry. Sorry!
Actually is sounds a lot like a DSL capable router I used to have that also does dial up. I used it in the same way, broadband wasn't available at my local so I connected a modem to the router and could share one dial up connection between many devices.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Chandra481

Thank you hrbuckley for your help.

I will try this option and will update all. In the meantime, I wanted to share that the properties of the icon state that the type of broadband that I use is to connecting via Point to Point protocol over ethernet(PPPoE) for dailing up. I hope your suggestion works.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra481 View Post
Thank you hrbuckley for your help.

I will try this option and will update all. In the meantime, I wanted to share that the properties of the icon state that the type of broadband that I use is to connecting via Point to Point protocol over ethernet(PPPoE) for dailing up. I hope your suggestion works.
The BlackBerry Device doesn't support a PPPoE connection.

Again, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, your WiFi router should be responsible for establishing the Internet connection.

Look in the user guide for your WiFi router, and you will probably see a section describing how to configure the router to establish the PPPoE connection for your DSL line.

Please understand this... your BlackBerry WILL NOT be able to establish a PPPoE connection. It can only establish a WiFi connection to your WiFi router.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Chandra481

Thanks all for the information and help extended. But, this leaves me really disappointed.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra481 View Post
Thanks all for the information and help extended. But, this leaves me really disappointed.
You're welcome. Have some ice cream... you'll feel better. Works for me every time.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
I used it in the same way, broadband wasn't available at my local so I connected a modem to the router and could share one dial up connection between many devices.
Wow. That must have been painful to use. Srsly. A dial-up with one device is slow enough...
Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
hrbuckley

Not as painful as having no Internet. Though that was back when the lead Linux distribution was Slackware and it came on floppy images, not CDRom or DVD ISOs.

Very similar connection protocol from what the OP describes, unless he thinks dialup and PPPoE are the same thing, which I'm starting to believe. My router could be set up to auto connect on "outbound" traffic as well. If my suggestion worked, I would try to get his set up configured that way, but didn't want to have OP change things unless I was sure I had the right picture. To bad, it looks like I'm wrong.

We also support some remote offices with PPPoE modem/routers that (I'm told) can be configured to require a username/password on a web page, or more conveniently store the data and auto connect. I suppose it is a security feature.

What kind of a PPPoE modem/router has Wi-Fi, but won't auto connect? And people get frustrated with Blackberries.