Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
joe321

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default 8820/WiFi/Dataplan

Please Login to Remove!

Ok so I know this has been asked here more than once but I didn't see a clear answer. I recently acquired an 8820 and I wanted to know if the Wifi can be used without a data plan. I've tried to configure it with several different AP but it always fails to connect with an "unknown failure message". When I open the browser I get a "You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication..." So what's the story can it use the wifi w/o a data plan or what?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome to BBF.

If you have no data plan, go into Options >Advanced Options >Browser and set the default browser to wifi browser. Once you connect to the wifi you should be able to use the wifi browser to surf the internet. Most 3rd party apps won't use the standalone wifi connection though.,
Old 06-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
burtininkas

Carrier: BITE

Its very strange that 3rd party apps wont using standalone wi-fi. Have no idea WHYYYYYY? I also own 8820, but having permanent connection to wi-fi, my 3rd party apps (like gmaps, gmail) still using wap with APN settings (I have no data plan for EDGE or smth). Its very not economic issue to use slow connections instead of fast wi-fi (when it is possibility to connect at one). Only integrated browser works fine with my wireless router, BUT in "manage connection" section wi-fi still has yellow minus sign. Also have no idea why, if wi-fi is working??? And whats is common between wi-fi and data plan??? Why cant it work separate? I think its the most biggest disadvantage for me of BB smartphones.

If BB wont fix it in firmware updates or any other way, i'll think about other smartphone, which could work with wi-fi having no data plan.

P.S. Also BB says that their smartphones was created for the verrry comfortable work with email and other email operations. Lie. How can it be comfortable if it doesnt even work over wi-fi without that damned data plan. I mean pop3 email accounts. I even cant setup pop3 email account, without data plan. Thats stupid.

Last edited by burtininkas; 06-23-2008 at 06:19 AM..
Old 06-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

burt, not all 3rd party applications have been written to take advantage of the wifi only connection. There are a few (JiveTalk, for example) that will use it. Unless they've been written that way, they won't work. Sorry, it's just the way it is.

As far as the wifi connection you will ALWAYS have just a yellow minus sign since you have no BB data plan. However, if you use the wifi browser as I instructed above you can surf the web using wifi.

There won't be a fix to this as it's not broken.

PS. It's not a lie. The BB works great with the BB data plan. All email goes through the BB (RIM) servers so that is why the data plan is needed for email. Nobody lied to you. You didn't do your research. It's simple. No data plan--no email.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
burtininkas

Carrier: BITE

I understand. But why to pay twice for data plan and wi-fi if I have permanent wi-fi connection (and i think most of us has) which is used not only for smartphones but also for variety equipment such as notebooks and so on. Data plan cost too much in my country. Wi-fi is 14 times cheaper. So this way BB is very not economic solution. Maybe this is for me only, but its the way as it is. Before I bought BB, I was almost sure about pop3 email via wi-fi without any problems, because of such "great" smartphone for email. But in real who cant make connections via wi-fi. Its really stupid
Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I think you were right above. The Blackberry is not the phone for you. Blackberry email is basically a subscription service. You pay for it through your carrier. You can access the service via cell towers (carriers) or your wifi. You still need access to the Blackberry email service. even if using wifi to connect. A little bit of research could have saved you this headache.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtininkas View Post

P.S. Also BB says that their smartphones was created for the verrry comfortable work with email and other email operations. Lie. How can it be comfortable if it doesnt even work over wi-fi without that damned data plan. I mean pop3 email accounts. I even cant setup pop3 email account, without data plan. Thats stupid.
RIM designed the blackberry device to be a business phone from the ground up. it was never intended to be a mass market device, but they're gradually beginning to move that direction. regardless, the heart and soul of the blackberry is a business communications tool, and not so much a consumer smartphone.

the blackberry internet service was designed to streamline data transmission as much as possible, with all data being routed through a blackberry server before reaching your phone to optimize the data, making it more suitable for your device while stripping needless junk to keep data transfer rates low... which is especially helpful on slower networks like EDGE, and for those on "a la carte" data plans.

sounds like you're shopping for an iphone, blackjack, or palm device, and not a blackberry.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
joe321

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Welcome to BBF.

If you have no data plan, go into Options >Advanced Options >Browser and set the default browser to wifi browser. Once you connect to the wifi you should be able to use the wifi browser to surf the internet. Most 3rd party apps won't use the standalone wifi connection though.,
Thanks for the welcome. I think I might have it functioning on the wifi. At this point, under the "Mobile Network Options" I have the 'Data Service' switched to off. When it is switched to off it doesn't seem to work. When it is switched to on it seems to work and I believe it is going through the wifi.

I am concerned in that I don't want to accidentally go over the BB data network and get hit with a per page charge. Does the 'Data Network' have to be on to go through the Wifi and is it possible it would switch on me and start using the BB data network without my knowledge even though I don't have an account?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #9
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe321 View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I think I might have it functioning on the wifi. At this point, under the "Mobile Network Options" I have the 'Data Service' switched to off. When it is switched to off it doesn't seem to work. When it is switched to on it seems to work and I believe it is going through the wifi.

I am concerned in that I don't want to accidentally go over the BB data network and get hit with a per page charge. Does the 'Data Network' have to be on to go through the Wifi and is it possible it would switch on me and start using the BB data network without my knowledge even though I don't have an account?
If you disable the Data Network then you are killing the data connection to your cell provider over the cell network.

Dave
Closed Thread