Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Uncle_Rico

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry 8120 Connects to Wif but no UMA

Please Login to Remove!

I just got my 8120, my first blackberry, and one of the first things I did was set up WiFi and I was really excited to start making unlimited WiFi calls!

I have the H@H plan and the WiFi connects just fine but I can't get a UMA indicator and it will not make voice calls over WiFi. Any suggestions??
Old 04-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Try this:

On your BB go to:

HTML Code:
http://mobile.blackberry.com
Click on the link that says "UMA doesn't work on my device...etc." and follow the instructions there. Then reboot the device by removing the battery. If it still doesn't connect to UMA then I suggest going to a Starbucks and seeing if it will connect there. If it connects there then it's a router/isp problem. If it doesn't connect there then it's a device/network problem.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Uncle_Rico

Model: 8120

Thanks for the help, I did everything they suggested, to no avail. So I wiped my BB and now when I run WiFi diagnostics UMA at least shows up. It says UMA available but not connected. It gives me a J008.0 Error code "Network busy. Retry."

I restarted it a bunch of times but always the same error. Anybody run into this before?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Did you try at a TMobile Hotspot like Starbucks? Seriously, give that a try and let us know. Most likely it's a router setting. Check out Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ for info on router settings for making UMA work properly. Also, what kind of internet service provider do you have? Cable? DSL? Satellite?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
kirkgrau
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

This sounds like my trouble. 8120 could see the WIFI network, but not get connected. Spent hours with tech support. Finally kind of on a lark, I reset my router and everything worked. I think what actually happened was that I had upgraded my firmware, but not actually restarted it and was still functioning on the old version. Make sure you have the latest software version for your router. Of course, if you purchased directly from TMO that should not be a problem.

Good Luck,

Kirk
Closed Thread