Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
jling

Model: 8820
PIN: 2414F75
Carrier: Rogers
Default 8820 and DD-WRT

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I am a proud new Blackberry 8820 user and was wondering if anyone could provide their DD-WRT configuration options.

Once I have completed WiFi Setup, it seems to connect to the router but does not obtain an IP address. In WiFi Diagnostics, it shows the green check mark under Association, Authentication, and DHCP. Under VPN it shows an error - "Error: Link down" with an X on Authentication.

dd-wrt v23 SP2 on Buffalo WHR-G54S router using WEP.

Thanks. Feel free to ask if you require more details.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

When your BB is connected, open up the DD-WRT info screen - do you see the device entries that look similar to mine?

After the BB thinks it's connected can you use the BB browser to go to http://192.168.1.1/ (or whatever your device IP is), or does that not even work?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
jling

Yes, I do see the Blackberry connected to the router with an IP but on the phone itself it says "IP address no longer valid" in Status.

*edit: it seems the Blackberry IP on the router page expires right away - yours states 1 day, mine states 30 seconds and then removes itself.

Last edited by jling; 10-25-2007 at 06:41 AM..
Old 10-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
jling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
After the BB thinks it's connected can you use the BB browser to go to http://192.168.1.1/ (or whatever your device IP is), or does that not even work?
Nope, does not connect.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
dietcoke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

Ok

here is a quick rundown.

1) make sure you have enough ip addresses alloted in dhcp settings. you can make it 20 or 30 clients.

2) do not use wep, since you have dd-wrt, use wpa2 personal with tkip/aes. If you have any old computers, stick with the wep then. Pick a 9 character password for wpa2 personal.

3) scan for wifi networks on your phone and find your wireless network broadcasting. Input your password.

You should then be connected to it, and in a few seconds to minutes you should be connected via UMA, your phone still might say edge, but if the wifi signal is highlighted, then you are connected to the wifi.

4) Turn on qos.

then select the mac address option, and input your mac address of your phone. Give your phone "premium" bandwidth and then edit other services or ports accordingly.

You will need to reboot your router, when you do your phone should then connect and be given highest priority over your internet connection. Make sure to only put 85% of your internet pipe in qos.

There are many many guides on the dd-wrt website and wiki on qos.

Once i put qos up, my phone has been perfect with no static or dropped calls.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
jling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post
Ok

here is a quick rundown.

1) make sure you have enough ip addresses alloted in dhcp settings. you can make it 20 or 30 clients.

2) do not use wep, since you have dd-wrt, use wpa2 personal with tkip/aes. If you have any old computers, stick with the wep then. Pick a 9 character password for wpa2 personal.

3) scan for wifi networks on your phone and find your wireless network broadcasting. Input your password.

You should then be connected to it, and in a few seconds to minutes you should be connected via UMA, your phone still might say edge, but if the wifi signal is highlighted, then you are connected to the wifi.
This is where the problem begins. I can't even connect to the router and the WiFi icon stays greyed out.

Could this be an OS problem? Defective phone?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:48 PM..
Old 10-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
jling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
When you try to connect and fail, have you checked to see if there are any error codes on your Blackberry? Try now if you haven't just to see what might show up.

Check the error by going to Manage Connections -> Wi-Fi Options -> press the Menu key and select Wi-Fi Diagnostics then scroll down to the UMA section and look in the Error Code field.

(Is this website super slow for anyone else today or is it just me?)

Dave
I do not think the 8820 has UMA. The only sections are WiFi and VPN (disabled VPN - i don't think this should matter..?).

Site is slow for me as well
Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
dietcoke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jling View Post
I do not think the 8820 has UMA. The only sections are WiFi and VPN (disabled VPN - i don't think this should matter..?).

Site is slow for me as well
UMA means it is using wifi.

Maybe it is possible you don't have the right service books on your 8820 to utilize wifi? not sure.

Did the wifi ever work on it? on any network?
Closed Thread