Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #221
troy7890

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default ok - data question

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to see if it's possible to use data programs like Jivetalk - Opera - and VR+ & Google maps, by only subscribing to the $5.99 T-MobileWeb plan.

(I understand that it does work with the $20 unlimited data plan, so please don't simply recommend paying for that) Trying to save bucks here!

So far I'd have no success getting those programs working with my $5.99 plan. But my Google search does work (using tmobiles browser) I've also tryed inputing the wap settings and no luck on the Jivetalk and Google maps apps.

Is there anything else that I can try?
Or has anyone here using a Pearl with Tmobile got this configured sucessfully?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #222
jumpfroggy

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy7890 View Post
I'm trying to see if it's possible to use data programs like Jivetalk - Opera - and VR+ & Google maps, by only subscribing to the $5.99 T-MobileWeb plan.
(I understand that it does work with the $20 unlimited data plan, so please don't simply recommend paying for that) Trying to save bucks here!
So far I'd have no success getting those programs working with my $5.99 plan. But my Google search does work (using tmobiles browser) I've also tryed inputing the wap settings and no luck on the Jivetalk and Google maps apps.
Is there anything else that I can try?
Or has anyone here using a Pearl with Tmobile got this configured sucessfully?
Thanks
I'll relay my experiences with a Pearl on Tmobile/Tzones. I had a Treo 650 on Tmobile with Tzones, and WAP worked but not the gmail/gmaps clients. I bought the Pearl and put it on my account. With this setup (just tzones), nothing on the pearl worked (no wap, no MMS, no internet/email). I tried to have them add the Blackberry Feature Enabler (BFE), but they would not put BFE and Tzones on the same plan (the computer wont let them, and none of the CSRs I talked to would do it). So I canceled tzones and put on BFE. For the next week or so, everything worked on the pearl; all internet, email, etc. Then the internet shut off, and I was left with just BFE (ie. the tzone website only, and MMS... no wap/internet/email). So then I added the Blackberry Internet plan (the $20/mo one) and everything works again.

It's not a technical issue, as far as I can see. If they added the BFE to your tzones, then you'd have access. However, it's a policy limitation. They don't want you on their $6/mo plan instead of the $20/mo plan, and with blackberries (unlike treo's) they have total control of the device. So if you *could* get them to add both, you'd be all set. But from all the CSRs I've talked to, they wont do it, and they can't do it (in the system), and supposedly the system is setup to scan for "incompatible" things like this and disallow it.

The one thing I wondered about is if you had the Blackberry Internet plan, then you'd have access- then if you canceled, would you still have access since the service books are still on the phone? But from the tzones experiences, it seems you'd have access until everything refreshed, and then you'd lose it just like I did.

So basically, with the Pearl and Tmobile, there don't seem to be any current loopholes. Blackberry Internet plan, or nothing. However, who knows when some technical glitch will open things up again.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #223
Gix1k
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

Damn thanks for that!!! Now I have gotten used to my Yahoo Mail being on my Berry..Can I do w/out is the question......shet!
Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #224
troy7890

Default Sucks!

This really sucks for Blackberry users.

So basically if we had a cheap Razr phone or anything else - we'd be able to get the data features for $5.99 which would let us use Opera and Google apps. But since we have Blackberries - they want us to pay $20 monthly!

This info need to be put on the front page as a worning to prospective buyers - it would of been a deal-breaker for me before I choose to buy a BBPearl!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #225
troy7890

I can't even install certain programs on my phone without data access. Like the VR+ (voice recording program) it requires you to send in your demo registration key before I can even get to the main screen. Same with Jivetalk
Old 10-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #226
jumpfroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy7890 View Post
This really sucks for Blackberry users.
So basically if we had a cheap Razr phone or anything else - we'd be able to get the data features for $5.99 which would let us use Opera and Google apps. But since we have Blackberries - they want us to pay $20 monthly!
This info need to be put on the front page as a worning to prospective buyers - it would of been a deal-breaker for me before I choose to buy a BBPearl!!!!
Exactly. From what I've seen, Blackberry devices are controlled by the Blackberry Server -- whether that's the one at your business, or the one by tmobile. They have control over your service books, which allow/disallow your internet/email/mms/sms/everything access. So whatever they say goes.

So my Treo worked on tmobile's tzones $6/mo plan, minus gmail and google maps (which they blocked), or on the $20/mo plan if I wanted that plus email. Every simple WAP phone (like the razr) can use the $6/mo plan for WAP. The blackberry can only use the $20/mo plan, nothing else. Really annoying, especially if you don't use it enough to justify the $20 plan (ie. not for business use), but want a few extras like directions and a webmail check every once in a while.

It's made me decide that there really is no getting away from it; phone companies and cell phone providers have control over your service and your device, and dictate how you can use them. I got my blackberry pearl cheap, but with the extra $20/mo over the $6/mo that's an extra $170 per year over a normal phone. I'm starting to be more and more convinced that the only real free phone is a really free phone, ie. OpenMoko. If they drop in price or include a few extras (gps, wifi?) then I'll probably spring for that and leave behind the "gated community" that is Blackberry service.

All that ranting aside, I love the blackberry pearl with internet/email, and were it not for the stupid limitations on service with WAP I'd probably stick with it for a long while.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #227
l3wis

Unhappy

I just called T-mobile to get da BlackBerry Feature enabler but they told me i coundt have the Z-tones and the Enabler at the same time.. Cause the Ztones isnt capable with the Black Berry What da hell????

here is how my Plan looks like..

Old 10-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #228
jumpfroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3wis View Post
I just called T-mobile to get da BlackBerry Feature enabler but they told me i coundt have the Z-tones and the Enabler at the same time.. Cause the Ztones isnt capable with the Black Berry What da hell???
Read posts #222 or #226 above. Tmobile does not allow tzones + BFE anymore because that is essentially a $6/mo version of their $20/mo blackberry internet + email plan. (The only differences being the services they block on tzones; gmail, gmaps, etc).

You currently cannot get BFE and tzones on the same account. I have not found a loophole yet. So it's either $20/mo or no internet/wap/email/etc.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #229
Semipro15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMO

Works for me
Old 10-21-2007, 12:56 AM   #230
jumpfroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semipro15 View Post
Works for me
What does?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #231
MegaMan X
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Wifi Curve
Carrier: T-Mobile™ USA
Cool

Blackberry enabler plus $2.99 tzones = unlimited internet & tether on blackberry curve!!

no need for BIS, BES, or email only blackberry plans....just $2.99 with all ports UNBLOCKED

I still have it after all these months!

Last edited by Tom; 09-16-2010 at 11:05 PM..
Old 10-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #232
jumpfroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMan X View Post
Blackberry enabler plus $2.99 tzones = unlimited internet & tether on blackberry curve!!
no need for BIS, BES, or email only blackberry plans....just $2.99 with all ports UNBLOCKED
I still have it after all these months!
Hah! Brag brag brag... ;)
Tzones has been 5.99 for a while now, so it looks like you got the tzones on your account a long time ago (unless you got it through the retentions dept). And if you took the BRE off your account, most likely they wouldn't let you put it back on. Great plan, and I really wish I had the same. But as of a while ago (I think it was about 4-6 months ago) they wont let anyone else have this plan.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #233
TheMaster42

I also have the grandfathered plan - $2.99 for unlimited T-Zones.

I called and asked the service rep to add the BlackBerry Feature Enabler (BFE) - he asked me why I wanted it added. I told him straight up I heard I could get Opera Mini to work if he turned it on for me. We went on about some other things (apparently his main concern was that he'd have to give me tech support when I called back and complained Opera Mini wasn't working), and I told him I also heard I needed the BFE to send/receive MMS.

Ultimately he said he added it, but I noticed no immediate change. How long will the BFE take to activate?

Additionally, if I need to call back, what would be good to say when they ask, "why do you need it?"

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #234
arthur.liu7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Hey guys, i'm a total newbie in the blackberry scene and in this forum as well. However, after long hours of googling, i found this website. Can anyone confirm that with the 5.99 you can access opera mini for web browsing by just configuring the apn and use jivetalk as well? Also, can i just install oz messenger like Megaman posted long ago and use the Blackberry Featured Enabler for unlimited aim + text? This question is mostly targeted towards Megaman, but any other blackberry pros out there can help this newbie out as well! Thanks!

PS: i'm planning to get a blackberry curve for tmobile
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #235
jumpfroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur.liu7 View Post
Hey guys, i'm a total newbie in the blackberry scene and in this forum as well. However, after long hours of googling, i found this website. Can anyone confirm that with the 5.99 you can access opera mini for web browsing by just configuring the apn and use jivetalk as well? Also, can i just install oz messenger like Megaman posted long ago and use the Blackberry Featured Enabler for unlimited aim + text? This question is mostly targeted towards Megaman, but any other blackberry pros out there can help this newbie out as well! Thanks!

PS: i'm planning to get a blackberry curve for tmobile
I got a blackberry pearl 8100 with tmobile about 6 months ago, and I already had the 5.99 tmobileweb (aka tzones). I was not able to access anything, since the pearl didn't have "service books" on it (which basically setup the mms, networking, etc). For mms, you need the blackberry feature enabler (BFE, or something like that) which basically gives you the service book needed for just mms. However, I talked to a couple of CSR's and they wouldn't put the BFE unless they removed tmobileweb, which would remove my internet access. I said I wanted tmobileweb, but just wanted mms too, and they said they wouldn't do it, and that the computer wouldn't let them do it, and they were unable to override the computer.

They used to allow both on one account, but when I tried then they wouldn't let you have both. So it was either have tmobileweb, but no way to use it on the blackberry, or get BFE and have MMS but no tmobileweb so no internet. I actually had them put on BFE and take out tmobileweb, and internet worked for a few more hours and then shut off. I ended up biting the bullet and getting the unlimited blackberry email & internet for 19.99. It's a lot of money, but it's saved my butt a bunch of times with google maps alone (at least until I get my GPS in).

If I were you and you were going to get the phone anyway, definitely call a couple times and try to ask nicely if the CSR would override and give you both (since you want tzones, but also picture messages, don't mention internet). But I wouldn't count on getting both, and w/o the blackberry addon it's not as much fun.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #236
arthur.liu7

Hey jumpfroggy. I actually don't intend to get both. But i just want confirmation that the BFE would 100% definitely use aim as text through the installation of oz messenger. I also just wanted confirmation that i would be able to use opera mini for web surfing and Jive-talk with the tzones (5.99) plan. You know, so that i can re-assure myself that everything would work out fine since i've been dying for a blackberry for many many months now! =]
Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #237
jumpfroggy

Quote:
Hey jumpfroggy. I actually don't intend to get both. But i just want confirmation that the BFE would 100% definitely use aim as text through the installation of oz messenger. I also just wanted confirmation that i would be able to use opera mini for web surfing and Jive-talk with the tzones (5.99) plan. You know, so that i can re-assure myself that everything would work out fine since i've been dying for a blackberry for many many months now! =]
Yeah, I was in the same boat as you. In my experiences (and I tried a few times), no you can't have internet (oz msg, opera, google maps, etc) on a blackberry with tmobile without the blackberry internet plan (19.99/mo). They will let you have tmobileweb/tzones *without* BFE (which means you can't use anything, only TXT), or they'll put BFE *without* tzones (so TXT and MMS, but no opera/oz/gmaps), or they'll do blackberry internet plan.

If you only get tzones on your account with no BFE, you can't do anything with it. I tried it, didn't work for me, and 2 different CSR's wouldn't put both on my account. The blackberry is unique in that it's always controlled by someone else; either your company (for corporate users), or in this case by tmobile. Unless they send you the service books which specifically enable internet, you can't use it. Same with TXT, MMS, Email, etc. Everything is controlled by them, and when you're on the phone with them they'll actually send the service books to your phone, it'll download, and new icons will show up on your home page (internet, email, etc). This is in contrast to a generic smartphone like the Treo 650, which simply uses whatever is available on your network. So if you put tmobileweb on your Treo, you can browse the internet using their proxy or use email through your webserver. I love my blackberry and broke down and started paying the $20/mo. But I really hated them for a while in that I couldn't do anything unless I spent the whole deal.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #238
arthur.liu7

i've also read from other posts as well, that you needed to configure your apn setting to "wap.voicestream.com" when using opera mini? because as megaman X said, you have to configure your settings a bit before being able to use opera mini on the blackberry with the tzones also known as "tmobileweb".
Old 07-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #239
jumpfroggy

Quote:
i've also read from other posts as well, that you needed to configure your apn setting to "wap.voicestream.com" when using opera mini? because as megaman X said, you have to configure your settings a bit before being able to use opera mini on the blackberry with the tzones also known as "tmobileweb".
I was never able to setup opera mini on tmobileweb. I was only able to get it to work under the Blackberry Unlimited Internet/Email plan.

But with that, I did have to go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP > APN = "wap.voicestream.com", Username and password are blank. Then it worked for me. There was also some funny business with Options > Security > TLS, I think I had to set TLS Default = "Handheld" or something. I'd play around with that too if the APN by itself doesn't fix things.
Closed Thread