Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
LizzieG

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default How to: Set up duplicate account and Berry for owner of company

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all

I am newly responsible for the BES and Berry's for my co. Previous experience in telecom and av. We've got exchange and 4.1.6 on the BES (installed SP 6 last night).

My first challenge: setting up a spare 8707 for the owner, that is fully synchronized with his current 8707. We use t-mobile and he travels constantly. He does not like the keyboard layout of the 8820 or curve, so the 8707 provides him coverage, albeit slow, worldwide. I need to have one ready to go if he has issues and needs me to do maintenance or repair. I've swapped it twice, but because of the size of his contacts and calendar and profile requirements, it takes about 3 hours.

Our exchange admin, who was the BES admin, said there is no way to do this. I can't take no for an answer at this point and need to give the owner what he needs, despite what the exchange guys says. Money is no object with this. So any configuration, hardware, software that will make it work, I can get.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

1 device per mailbox. 2 BB's cannot sync with the same mailbox at the same time. It is not possible using BES. You could set up one of the BB's using the BIS option. That way he can get his mail while he travels.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
LizzieG

Thank you for the fast reply. I saw a similar reply to another post today. I don't know what the BIS option is or how it works. Could you explain for me? I only recently (3 mo) have been working with the BES and know NOTHING about BIS. Would he have his contacts and calendar?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
gibson_hg

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

BIS is the carrier service. Essentially you can add up to 10 other accounts on the BB but only email is wireless, everything else is wired. Whenever a BB is set up for BES it usually has the BIS service as well.

BIS is all on the carrier side, it has no connection to the BES.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
LizzieG

He requires his contacts and calendar - totally lost without and he also does not connect BB to PC, ever. I'll look into BIS though and get familiar with it. Even with your reply, I'm still confused. Thank you for your time and efforts to help. At least I have a new path to follow. That's much better than hearing, 'no'.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieG View Post
he also does not connect BB to PC, ever
Then BIS is not an option for you as with BIS you would need Desktop Manager to sync all PIM data.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 12-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
LizzieG

Thank you. I woke up thinking about this today, yuck, and came up with: at least if he can get his work emails while I get his Berry working or upgraded. It would be ideal if the spare could be ready with his contacts and calendar, but I see that many people have asked this question and the answer really is no.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Was 3 hours doing an activation or a swap device from DM?

As soon as the activation starts to sync databases you can give him the 'Berry back. He'll get emals and contacts as they sync.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
LizzieG

I wish I could Canuck, give his Berry back as soon as activation starts, but it failed a couple of times. I have to babysit it, test EVERYTHING before giving back to him. He'll find something I missed and think the device is worthless... the activation was taking 3 hours wirelessly after a device swap. Now I am looking to prepare for the next time by having one ready to go.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310

I'm not an Exchange admin but you might discuss this with yours.

Perhaps create a second mailbox, and assign his contacts and calendar to that box as well? Then you could keep a second BB sync'd to the second mailbox, but still have live updating of the contacts and calendar on the second device?

For all intents and purposes, he could pick up the second device and use it, but the message history on the device may not be the same.

Last edited by CO_BBTechie; 12-22-2008 at 03:07 PM..
Old 12-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
TreeDude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPn4S
PIN: 76E5A626
Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like your C.E.O. is a pain in the A.S.S.

I think having a secondary mailbox on your main mail server is probably your best bet.

BES was decommissioned. Currently using iPhones with Lotus Notes Traveler 9.0.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
TruckinwithBBs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I administer BES in a Groupwise enviornment. The only other thing I can think of is if you had another Blackberry Server and another configuration database. You could try to add his account to both, which should sync the same, theoretically. However, when I asked Blackberry Support about this, they didn't seem to know and just answered with "this is not a supported environment". I'm not sure if this would work in Exchange or not, as I tried this with my Groupwise account and could not get the 2nd device to activate. If you don't have the resources for the additional hardware, maybe test using a virtual machine. If you have t support with RIM, they should be able to hook you up with a test SRP.

-Truckin
Old 12-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
rdeca

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Use desktop manger to back up & transfer

Just a thought but couldn't you use destop manager to transfer the data from one device to another.
I have an MD who is a bit similar to yours and I've done quick handheld swaps this way.
I usually swap the data this way (there are posts on how to do it on this site). I then use wired (USB to BES) for enterprise activation of the new device. It should bring your 3 hour time down.

Rob
Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #14
BBFlunkie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Default I used a second BES, with MSDE, and a second device.

The second device on second BES works great.
Even the read marks sync up between both devices.

Client mail file in Domino see's the hit from 3 separate BES with no issues.

They are not sharing the same configuration database.
Closed Thread