Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
uwaadmin

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Redundancy for BES

Please Login to Remove!

I have one BES server with about 300 people on it. I was asked to set up another server and get it as redundant as possible. Can someone tell me the best way to do this? I have a seperate server staged, that has it's own SRP and DB's.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
soupandsandwich

Having a separate BES with a different SRP is a good thing... however the fact that it has its own DB is not a good thing.

You should set up the second BES and configure it to use the same database as the first BES.
Then you can seamlessly move users from one BES to the other, should you need to.

If you force the users to switch to a new DB, then you need to reactivate every handheld and that's going to be a nightmare for everyone.

Use the same config database for both BES, and make sure you backup the database frequently.
That should cover you pretty well as BES doesn't have true fail-over capabilities or HA, yet.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
uwaadmin

Model: 8700
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandsandwich View Post
Having a separate BES with a different SRP is a good thing... however the fact that it has its own DB is not a good thing.

You should set up the second BES and configure it to use the same database as the first BES.
Then you can seamlessly move users from one BES to the other, should you need to.

If you force the users to switch to a new DB, then you need to reactivate every handheld and that's going to be a nightmare for everyone.

Use the same config database for both BES, and make sure you backup the database frequently.
That should cover you pretty well as BES doesn't have true fail-over capabilities or HA, yet.
Could i still, at this point, direct the new BES to the old DB without breaking anything, or does the DB need referenced at point of install? meaning will i have to start over and point it to the new DB first, or can i simply switch it somehow?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
soupandsandwich

You can point it to the existing database after it's already been installed.
On the BES:
Start / Programs / BlackBerry Enterprise Server / BlackBerry Server Configuration

Use the 'Change Database' function on the Database Connectivity tab.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
BBFlunkie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

We use Neverfail for BlackBerry (Domino)

Works very well.
Closed Thread