BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default With all the complaints about Blackberry Storm, why arent you returning it?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,
I am moving from another network (after involving national media to expose their lies)to VF (Vodafone), and have been following the different write ups on storm as this is the phone I am getting.
From the feedback, i have following concerns :-

1-The gap between the screen and the body. This WILL get dust etc into the phone and this might affect the workings of the device. How sturdy is the spring (or whatever) underneath it? Is it going to last 18 months/ 2 years? Is it covered by the warranty? (by the RIM or VF)

2-The CD that is shipped with the phone is not installing on computers properly, so? Is this corporate greed? or just silliness that they are sending out stuff that doesn’t work?

3-Problems with the software freezing, old instructions etc.

4-Internet browsing which seems superb in videos, but very slow in real experience.

5-All the reviews says this is best thing since invention of the wheel, but how many of these are the truly independent reviews?

I am sure that there will be other glitches, and fixes, but how many of them are going to happen within 14 days? Once you have passed this period, you cannot return the phone (if you bought it on the net or by telephone). You can always ask them to extend, in writing, this 14 days period to lets say 2 months. If they say yes, this will show their faith in the product.
This brings me to ask, why are people holding on to it? Either the people complaining about the phone are whinging g*ts , or its true that British consumers pay extra money (for no reason) and thats why most big name firm charge extra in UK.
I know RIM / VF will try to resolve these issues, but how are they going to resolve the gap between the phone and the screen? Why is everyone holding on to the phone despite all these issues? Are they going to recall all these phone? (unlikely. And the gap is a physical thing and cannot be rectified by software update)
If people returned their phones, RIM will have to sort these problems out and quickly.
So? The question is, why are you still holding on to it? Do you thing the tooth fairy is going to fix it?
It is about time that British consumers voted with their feet to force these big multinationals to sit up and take notice.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
celios
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: Vodafone

I don't have one, but according to the posts on the Vodafone eForum:

Vodafone eForum -> BlackBerry Device Forum

Quite a few Storms are going back on Monday. I think Vodafone have dropped the ball somewhat, as there have been a huge number of devices setup for BES shipped to normal end users, who would be expecting BIS. There do seem to be a number of genuinely faulty units, and Vodafone have compunded their problems by not gearing up for the inveitable support calls about BlackBerry email setup / new user issues, etc.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
00hoangc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

IMO these issue only occur with probably the first batch of the phones, later distributions will probably be better. Also, i have the storm, and none of them 5 you listed (besides the gap issue) has happened with me. yet.

the internet browsing on the phone, for me, is great. its not slow, it only gets slow when the connection is lower or if the page has a lot to load. mine would represent what you see on the videos.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

00hoagngc,
what happens when you are out of your 14 days return policy when things go wrong? the gap will affect the device as you will get moisture, dirt etc into it. With all the things people are complaining about, how sturdy is the spring that is holding the screen? would it last 2 years? if they have got most of the other things wrong, how can I be sure they got that one right?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnp23 View Post
00hoagngc,
what happens when you are out of your 14 days return policy when things go wrong? the gap will affect the device as you will get moisture, dirt etc into it. With all the things people are complaining about, how sturdy is the spring that is holding the screen? would it last 2 years? if they have got most of the other things wrong, how can I be sure they got that one right?
First off the gap isn't that noticeable. Second, I've used it for 3 months and haven't had any problems with water getting below the screen. That said, if you're going to stand in the middle of a monsoon or rain storm and use the device then you might have problems. Otherwise there shouldn't be any. Back to the gap, I agree it could have been dressed up a bit more, but it's really not any bigger than any other gap on any other BlackBerry device. Second, theres not "a spring" under the screen. It's metal with spring like qualities and is quite durable. The Storm isn't for everyone.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Jason,
You used it for three months? I must have missed your review. Or may be you didnt post it !
Metal with spring like quality? i wonder if if the moister got to it through the gap what would happend to it being rusting and eventually breaking? or will the RIM fairy protect it?

I find the final comment regarding "the storm is not for everyone" very patronising. I wonder why they did not use it during all the hype !

By the sound of it, they have released a non working device, with BETA software and are relying on users to help them make it work. And to add the insult to the injury, they are relying on the fact that people will wait for the fixes and will not return the devices and cancel the contracts! This is not the behaviour that multinational companies should be allowed to adopt !

Last edited by pnp23; 11-16-2008 at 03:48 PM..
Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Do you work in an environment where there is a substantial amount of moisture?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

yes, whols of UK is full of it !
Old 11-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Jason,
You used it for three months? I must have missed your review. Or may be you didnt post it !
Metal with spring like quality? i wonder if if the moister got to it through the gap what would happend to it being rusting and eventually breaking? or will the RIM fairy protect it?

I find the final comment regarding "the storm is not for everyone" very patronising. I wonder why they did not use it during all the hype !

By the sound of it, they have released a non working device, with BETA software and are relying on users to help them make it work. And to add the insult to the injury, they are relying on the fact that people will wait for the fixes and will not return the devices and cancel the contracts! This is not the behaviour that multinational companies should be allowed to adopt !
You never saw a review because I didn't do one. Back to the moisture, unless you plan on standing in the middle of a thunderstorm talking on the device it will be alright. It's no bigger than the gap on any other device.
I've said for months that the device isn't for everybody. Just like any device. Some people just don't like touch.
Where you get a "non-working"device from I'm not sure. But the device works. The OS is alright. It could stand to be more polished, but that's overseas carriers for you. As you see Verizon hasn't released their version yet, and will ship it with better software.
Also the Storm wouldn't be the only device that could use a update upon release. Need I cite the numerous devices?? But as I said, American carriers are known for quality, and Verizon's 9530 will operate much better than that of Vodafone.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Overseas? are we going to have fight about the accents now? For me, this is not oversaes!

I could be very crude and compare you to some of well known people from your country, but I wont .

The bottom line is that they relaesed a product that wasnt ready for the consumers.

Would you belive that even the CD does not load the DTM? but than I am sure that your (that you have had for a few months) worked perfectly. I wonder if you are an independant tester or "affiliated" !
Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

If your not happy with the product then don't purchase it.

I could be crude also and ban you from the site, but right now I won’t but don’t be arrogant towards individuals on this site who are attempting to assist you.

Last edited by zerog46; 11-16-2008 at 04:26 PM..
Old 11-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ban me for what? someone had this handset for 3 months, did not post a review(and they dont have to) but now defending the company who released the faulty product? is this forum affiliated with RIM or VF? if you think I am out of order, than you should ban me.
I would like to know how justifying a faulty product is "assisting me "?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Overseas? are we going to have fight about the accents now? For me, this is not oversaes!

I could be very crude and compare you to some of well known people from your country, but I wont .

The bottom line is that they relaesed a product that wasnt ready for the consumers.

Would you belive that even the CD does not load the DTM? but than I am sure that your (that you have had for a few months) worked perfectly. I wonder if you are an independant tester or "affiliated" !
You're missing the point. Vodafone rushed the Storm to market. Verizon has not. Hence, why the 9530 will ship with newer SW than the 9500. D
Do you have the Storm? Meaning, did the CD not work for you? Because I know about a dozen people who have purchased the 9500 from Vodafone and they installed the DM with no problems. It could just be the CD you got because not everyone is having a problem.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Quote:
I don't care about the Strom, if you don't like it don't buy it. It's the comments we could do without.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #15
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree, and that was my point. They should have tested it thoroughly. May be American firms are much more consumer friendly (even if they charge customers a bit extra) than the one in UK.

Last edited by pnp23; 11-16-2008 at 04:45 PM..
Old 11-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I agree, and that was my point. They should have tested it thoroughly. May be American firms are much more consumer friendly (even if they charge customers a bit extra) than the the one in UK.
Do you have a Storm? I would love to know what is faulty about the device that it shouldn't be released? Maybe you received a faulty device, it happens. But the majority of people who have purchased it are happy as well.
Also, Vodafone sent out over 40,000 Storms on Friday. If theres a major problem we'll definitely hear about it tomorrow. But I'd still like to know what's wrong with your Storm?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #17
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Apart from the gap between the screen and the phone (which will collect dirt, moister etc). I know that they will release the fixes to sort out bugs. But in the UK, we have 14 days to return the phone if not happy (I understand it is 30 days in US), my problem is what if they do not fix everything within 14 days? They cant even sort out the desktop software as majority of people are having problems installing it as it keeps crashing.
The other issue I have is that I was told that the 3 g (I think they call the network HSDPA) is equ. to wifi, but thats not true, it is extremely slow. On top of that is the battery life, sometimes less than 7 hours (with 50 minutes of calls and 20 minutes of browsing). The list goes on and on (unfortunately). I have had BBs for a while now, and was hoping this will be the same.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Apart from the gap between the screen and the phone (which will collect dirt, moister etc). I know that they will release the fixes to sort out bugs. But in the UK, we have 14 days to return the phone if not happy (I understand it is 30 days in US), my problem is what if they do not fix everything within 14 days? They cant even sort out the desktop software as majority of people are having problems installing it as it keeps crashing.
The other issue I have is that I was told that the 3 g (I think they call the network HSDPA) is equ. to wifi, but thats not true, it is extremely slow. On top of that is the battery life, sometimes less than 7 hours (with 50 minutes of calls and 20 minutes of browsing). The list goes on and on (unfortunately). I have had BBs for a while now, and was hoping this will be the same.
Will the phone collect dust? Yes. Have you opened up your computer lately? And you say the majority whereas I know atleast 12 people who haven't had a problem with the DM. But Vodafone should have the DM available for download already though. It's slack that they don't. Whoever told you that HSPA is faster than Wifi is ignorant. But you said it was a faulty device that shouldn't have been released so I'm trying to figure out what problems you are having, and we can possibly solve them.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
swallisa

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Don't feed the trolls.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T